Sponsored

Ford Bronco Raptor Revealed : 400HP V6 w/ 37's

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
You can laugh at me but the reason I will never buy a Ford again was a bad experience I had in college buying an almost new low mileage 1991 Mustang hatchback model in 1992. I did my own oil changes and maintained it meticulously. But the automatic transmission was complete crap. It failed on me after just two years of ownership and the dealer wouldn't cover it under any warranty, don't remember why but probably because I wasn't the original owner or whatever, I don't remember. But I do remember shouting matches with the Ford service supervisor, who had a very short fuse, and almost coming to blows. I'm normally a very calm and passive person, but this service guy was nuts. They couldn't fix it right, after several visits, and he still wanted to charge me full price. It wouldn't shift properly through any gears and the transmission sounded horrible. Looking back I should have just walked out and taken them to court, they were screwing me hard, but I was young and not rich. I never bought a Ford again and I never will.

But I do like Ford for one reason and one reason only- they pushed Jeep into making the 392 Wrangler, of which I own a beautiful white one.

I think Ford cars are ugly, Ford trucks are ugly, and the Bronco is dog ugly. It looks like a shoe box with no personality and they didn't bother to offer it with a V8 for common folk. Right now in my life V8's are important to me. My very first car had one so I'm kind of sentimental about it right now in mid life. Now V8's are disappearing fast and that's why I cherish my Wrangler so much. Ford will offer a V8 Bronco in 2023- the "DR". But it's not street legal, it's a baja racing vehicle, limited to 50 builds with a starting price projected in the mid-$200,000 range ha ha ha. Maybe we'll see Bill Gates or Elon Musk racing across the desert in one.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
One more reason to offer the 5.7L as a reasonably priced Wrangler engine upgrade. It’s absolutely perfect for the Wrangler.
Alas, though I fully agree, the 5.7L will die with the 392 according to Stellantis' current plans.

FCA screwed the pooch when they didn't offer a turbo V6 when they released the etorque version of the 3.6L and have been playing catch up ever since.

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I'm really starting to believe that releases of Bronco products are really just harbingers of bad news.
Ford: "The New Bronco is HERE!"
Covid: "Naw. Have a shi* sandwich."

Ford: "The New Bronco Raptor is HERE!"
Life: "Yeah, poof! 1000pt Market Drop."

Jeep Wrangler JL Ford Bronco Raptor Revealed : 400HP V6 w/ 37's Capture.JPG

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
I'm really starting to believe that releases of Bronco products are really just harbingers of bad news.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ford Bronco Raptor Revealed : 400HP V6 w/ 37's Capture.JPG
Ford needs to give everyone with any new Bronco an embedded soundtrack that is tied to the foot pedal of a built 302 with pipes. Then the driver could have the sweet music on demand I get from my 392. My 2021 Bronco sounded like a blender on its best day and a sewing machine the rest of the time. You cannot feel good without the music of a V8. Well, I cannot.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Capture.JPG
I can’t shake the feeling that these days Ford isn’t being run by their most competent team...

Shit happens, no doubt. But the degree of hubris Ford has displayed during the Bronco launch has no place at a modern automaker.

Sponsored

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
As stupid as this may sound. I could care less about more power. My 19 3.6 runs fine, and I've never felt like I needed more. Now, it would be awesome to get Dana 60's front and rear with 5.13 gears and 37's. Throw a Metalcloak lift and some better shocks on it, and you're set. I'd buy that without hesitation.

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
As stupid as this may sound. I could care less about more power. My 19 3.6 runs fine, and I've never felt like I needed more. Now, it would be awesome to get Dana 60's front and rear with 5.13 gears and 37's. Throw a Metalcloak lift and some better shocks on it, and you're set. I'd buy that without hesitation.
Not stupid, for 98% of driving 3.6 V6 is all you do need, but for me, the 392 sound is like dessert after a great meal. I really like a good desert.

WhtRubi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
The only Bronco I would even consider is a 2-door Wildtrak. But since the release of the Raptor, it looks like Ford has removed it from their lineup (for possibly being too similar and $20k cheaper).
Jeep Wrangler JL Ford Bronco Raptor Revealed : 400HP V6 w/ 37's Untitled

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Ford Raptor- Desert Runner
Wrangler 392- Rock Crawler

Enough said. Stop trying to compare the two.. Apples to Oranges people.

Sponsored

bajanut

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
If Jeep is smart, they’ll steal Ford’s thunder again with in house parts. Bring in the bump stops from the gladiator Mojave, 4.88’s, Mopar 2” lift, and the long travel live valve bilstein rear shocks from the trx at all 4 corners. Slap on some 37’s and Viola, go fast suspension with in house parts. More suspension travel than the bronco raptor at 14”. Better approach, departure, and break over angles. Offer it with all the available engine options and you can undercut them on the 2.0t and v6 variants and destroy them on the performance end with the 392. The only thing they’d need to develop would be some wide fender flares, preferably with more clearance (and easily removable for tight trails).
What about on-off road stability??? why do you think you don't see a single jeep Wrangler in the Baja Series (Baja 250, 400, 500 and the epic Baja 1000) ? don't get me wrong I have a JL and love it but is not as easy as doing the swaps you mentioned and have it race in the desert.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Wow stock 37s. I’m a Jeep guy at heart but man I do love the look of these broncos, all of them. Glad there is competition, this only drives innovation and new features to pop up!
Jeep did just take a hard punch to the stomach, as this was all the talk at the local 4WP store this morning (with about 8 Wranglers parked out front). Competition is always good for the consumer.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
IMHO - If Jeep does not offer a comparable 6 cylinder in the 400HP range (hopefully, the Tornado comes to pass) then, the Raptor will be a threat--especially with the ability to have a "maxed out" off-road vehicle from the factory. The fact that Ford added a rear axle in Dana 50 with a 235mm ring gear diameter versus 220mm in a Dana 44 or a 247mm in a Dana 60 is a pretty sweet factory offering.

One should not have to jump up to a 392 to get the HP/TQ that is being offered in smaller, more efficient power plants and FCA has the ability to do so themselves. It will be interesting to see how this plays out over the 2023/2024 model years.
100% this. Even on the base Bronco, you can upgrade to the 2.7L Ecoboost with 330HP and 415TQ (even in a 2-door!) for less than $35k MSRP.

The fact that Jeep is only offering a v6 with only 285HP and 260TQ in 2022 is embarrassing imo. Their new GME turbo i6 pushing around 400HP/TQ should have been an option a year ago. Consumers shouldn't have to spend $75k+ to get a Wrangler above 300HP/TQ.