Sponsored

Ford Bronco Raptor Revealed : 400HP V6 w/ 37's

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
- Wide--very very wide--it would not work on some trails I have done (of course, my Wrangler or the 392 would not work on some trails I've done on side by sides)
People forget that this is a self correcting problem.

In 2007 there were tons of trails that a Wrangler TJ could do, that a JKU could not. Two years later, there were more JKUs in every trail than any other vehicles and all the trails naturally widened.

These days, trails are in the process of being naturally widened to accommodate Gladiators and Broncos.

The Bronco Raptors will quickly start widening the trails naturally.

Will it be harder to do some trails on a Bronco Raptor vs 392? Sure. Similarly there will be trails (think off camber) where the wider stance and better shocks of the Bronco Raptor will be an advantage. I anticipate that Bronco Raptors will be much less prone to flop/flip than the 392.
Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
By the way - MotorTrend has gone into a lot of detail on the engine, axle, suspension, etc changes that Ford Performance made for the Bronco. I think it's clear that this engine will be very close to the 470HP in the 392. At least closer to 470 than 400.

Link: https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-ford-bronco-raptor-engine-driveline-details-specs/

From the article on Engine:

Relative to the Explorer application, this Bronco Raptor 3.0 features unique cylinder heads that eliminate the exhaust-gas recirculation and emphasize maximum air flow into and out of the engine.
A giant high-flow intake airbox and filter drop air straight down into the turbos on each side, helping to reduce the overall restriction on the low-pressure side by 50 percent.
The turbos themselves are new for the Raptor, and the plumbing to, from, and through the intercooler is improved to lower restriction. The combustion chambers flow more air, then aft of the turbos there is a full true dual exhaust system with 2.7-inch pipes and a new-to-Bronco four-position active-valve (Quiet, Normal, Sport, and Baja) that reportedly helps deliver a total drop in backpressure of 20 percent.

The combined effect of all these mods is greater "boost durability," which means the boost sustains to enhance high-end power and prevents that feeling of power falling off a cliff as you near the engine redline. The new Baja drive mode also activates an anti-lag turbo calibration that further maximizes performance during high-speed desert running. As of press time, the team is still six weeks or so from finalizing the engine's state of tune and certifying it with the EPA, but we're assured it will make north of 400 horsepower. Considering this engine makes 400 hp at 5,500 rpm and 415 lb-ft at 3,500 rpm in the Explorer ST, we'd expect a healthy increase in peak power, probably at a higher rpm, with peak torque rising less but remaining available over a wider plateau (final calibrations are underway with peak output specs expected by late February).

From the article on Axles:

To cope with these magnified driveline forces, both front halfshafts and both ends of the stronger front drive shaft get beefy constant-velocity jointsā€”no simple universal joints here. The outer hubs and bearings are also strengthened.
Following the torque aft, the rear drive shaft is also beefed up and it feeds a stronger new Dana 50 Heavy-Duty AdvanTEKrear axle (up from a Dana 44) made of thicker (9-mm) steel tubes capped at each end by a unique forging that helps widen the track. The differential is fitted with a bigger, stronger 235 ring gear (up from 220) and pinion, retaining the Sasquatch model's 4.70:1 axle ratio. Ford Performance developed both these axles and fits them to the Bronco DR race truck. They increase the track width by 8.2 inches front, 6.7 inches rear, relative to the Sasquatch package.

Upstream of all this, the transfer case gets a stronger clutch for 4A automatic on-demand engagement, but it carries over the 3.06:1 low-range ratio and overall 67.8:1 crawl ratio.

From the article on weight:

Ford ... says the base Bronco Raptor's curb weight should come in just under 5,750 pounds.

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Haven't read through the whole thread, but I am absolutely horrified. And this is coming from a Ford fan. Looks completely half baked and slapped together. Honestly this is embarrassing. What even are those fender flares?

On the other hand, super excited for turbo inline 6, but I haven't actually heard any confirmation that is coming to the Wrangler. This may force Stellantis' hand. Perhaps after the 392 dies out, they will unveil it in the Wrangler Mojave? I know the Mojave will be 4 door only, but I hope the turbo 6 is available for us two door enthusiasts.

Also, IFS is in the works for Wrangler. No idea if/when it will actually happen, but it is being developed. I hope it doesn't sweep across the entire lineup to try and compete with Ford's go-fast "desert runners" and at the very least the Sport and Rubicon keep SFA. If it ends up in the Mojave when it's released, at least that would make sense for the application.

*Before anyone blows up at me about IFS, I know some higher level Stellantis engineers and this came from them.

MIAZ

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JLURD,ā€˜02 F-250 7.3, ā€˜15 Prius, Had 13 JK
Iā€™m wondering if all this comes down to how good the dealers are. Both Bronco and Jeep have advantages, no vehicle is best in all circumstances and all conditions for all drivers. Iā€™ve had Jeeps for 7 years now and have had mostly pretty good service. I havenā€™t had that kind of luck with the sales department and business managers, mostly snake oil salesmen and business management that are just plain liars and cheats. From the experiences that Iā€™ve read about on these forums, it seems to me that a hell of lot of the people have had shit-y experience with Jeep dealers.

Iā€™ve had Toyotas and Subarus, Pontiacs, Chryslers, Hondas , Chevrolets, Mercedes and many Fords. I think about 70 vehicles and 20 motorcycles in total. By far, and I know not all of you will agree with this, my best buying and dealer experiences have been with Ford. Example, some years back I drove up to Alaska with our F-250 and truck camper and was getting into Anchorage when my clutch started acting up, I coasted mostly into a Ford dealer and asked about service, they were all gone home a little after 5PM. I talked to a sales manager and told him I needed to get to the airport to pickup my wife who was flying in to join me. No problem, he sends a salesman along with a new Taurus to take me to the airport to pickup my wife, WOW. When we got back to the dealership, they let us camp in their lot overnight, the next morning, we heard a knock on the door and they had made fresh coffee and hot bakery for us, WOW. The truck turned out fine, got a bubble in the clutch fluid and it worked out overnight, oh yah, they charged $40 to have the truck checked out, road tested with me in it. Iā€™m sure there are good Jeep dealers out there, but I havenā€™t met any yet in sales or business though.

I REALLY like my Jeep, but if I keep having crappy experiences with plain rotten sales and business departments at Jeep dealers, I may be driving a Ford again. Just plain rotten, lying, cheats will drive people away from vehicles that people really like into the competition that might be a bit weaker in some areas. Are you listening Jeep Cares? Maybe Ford is doing us all a really big favor by bringing competition back, Jeep might do something about their crappy dealers if they loose sales.

Sponsored

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
Has been discussed in great detail in a few different threads. I like to buy new cars fairly often, if new options come out I like ill sell and buy new. in the last swap, I wanted the eco-diesel. had 2 JLs bought back. I love my 2021 Diesel JLUR, but the color was not my first choice. so as soon as a new color I like is out I will sell this one and order a new one. I am also cross shopping the Bronco Raptor and upcoming Ranger Raptor. I may get another JL before those are available, or I may not.

For me, if I had a 2008, I would have sold it when the redid the interrior, and then for sure swapped to the 3.6 as soon as it was introduced to the JK.

but my vehicle habits are not just Jeeps etc. I have been this way since I was 16 or so. I almost never own a vehicle for over a year.
I have neighbor who is similar. Loooves his latest motorcycles and cars. Every few months heā€™s enjoying a newer whatever he just traded in for. All good on my end just wondering.

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
just when I thought the flares couldn't get any worse. . . . then this happens. my god how big are we going to make these things.
Can you name the truck with four wheel drive,
smells like a steak and seats thirty-five..

Canyonero! Canyonero!

Well, it goes real slow with the hammer down,
It's the country-fried truck endorsed by a clown!

Canyonero! (Yah!) Canyonero!
[Krusty:] Hey Hey

The Federal Highway commission has ruled the
Canyonero unsafe for highway or city driving.

Canyonero!

12 yards long, 2 lanes wide,
65 tons of American Pride!

Canyonero! Canyonero!

Top of the line in utility sports,
Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts!

Canyonero! Canyonero! (Yah!)

She blinds everybody with her super high beams,
She's a squirrel crushing, deer smacking, driving machine!

Canyonero!-oh woah, Canyonero! (Yah!)

Drive Canyonero!

Woah Canyonero!

Woah!

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Assuming those fenders are easily removed like the stock fenders I think they are perfect. If they molded the sheet metal to fit the 9ā€ wider front end youā€™d never fit the fat pig down most trails. Wide (albeit kinda goofy looking) fenders for street legality and keeping rocks and sand off the paint while playing go fast while keeping the body narrower for real trails. The broncos body width is already one of itā€™s biggest disadvantages, no sense in making it worse. With the suspension travel, lockers, and 37ā€™s it will go pretty much any where it will fit. If the extra width can be reduced to just huge tire poke by removing those flares, it will fit most places a Jeep will. Tight trail like the dusy erishim will probably still be impossible, but it will fit down the rubicon for sure. If the steering is actually built to hold up to 37ā€™s, Iā€™d actually consider buying one, not to replace the wrangler, but to compliment it.

Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
Ford can not make any deadline they initially set. Ford can not keep promises to reservation holders.

Try to spend a few minutes on B6G and all they do is complain about getting their so called reservations screwed over by Ford and surprise ADM charges from sleezy dealers. And those guys just keep accepting bad treatment. I am sure they love the new look over there in the bitch and moan forum.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
* 4,500 towing limits!!!!!! **** haven't seen anyone mentioned that ***
Just wanted to focus on this. Jeeps don't have a higher towing limit . . . mainly because Jeep doesn't want to try.

The Wrangler has a 6500lb tow rating in both the EU and Australia. Why? Because the SAE J2807 standard for determining tow ratings in the US is absurd. One component of it is the "Bullhead City to Golden Valley" test. It's a test that is done at 100*F, for 11.2 miles, up a 7% grade (550' to 3570'), while never dropping below 40mph.

Now, how many people do you think will EVER encounter conditions such as that? It's absurd.

I tow a 5500lb boat/trailer from LA to FL in the middle of the summer. It's flat, it's at sea level, and it's hot. And my temps average 5* higher than when I'm not towing.

Trust me - your Jeep can handle a LOT more than 3500lbs.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
This has nothing to do with dealer quality.

If you buy a Bronco Raptor with factory 37s, factory skids, factory Fox 3.1 shocks, factory Dana 50 axels, these are all warrantied if anything goes wrong.

Walk into any dealer with a modified vehicle and the warranty roulette starts. Fact is that no Wrangler comes from the factory with 37s, Dana 50s, Fox 3.1 shocks, etc.
I wouldn't count on it. I mean, if a shock busts going down the 405 freeway, then yeah. But, Ford's warranty paperwork specifically says:

WHAT IS NOT COVERED UNDER THE NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY?
Damage Caused By:
ā€¢ driving through water deep enough to cause water to be ingested into any component. i.e. powertrain components
ā€¢ misuse of the vehicle, such a driving over curbs, overloading, racing or using the vehicle as a permanent stationary power source

If driving over a curb is grounds to deny a warranty claim, what about when they see you went to Moab?
Sponsored