Sponsored

Forced induction on a 2021 Rubicon 3.6L?

BPD101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Anyone here have any experience with the reliability on a supercharged 3.6? I'm looking to add more power but this will be my daily driver and need reliability. Leaning more towards a Magnuson sc but also looking at RIPP
Sponsored

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
Anyone here have any experience with the reliability on a supercharged 3.6? I'm looking to add more power but this will be my daily driver and need reliability. Leaning more towards a Magnuson sc but also looking at RIPP
I know there are a few options out there in addition to the ones u mentioned, including Procharger and Eldebrock. As far as I know the only active thread on FAI, is here;

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...lbrock-is-getting-closer-to-production.39662/

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
Depends on your specific vehicle. No manufacture has developed a kit to work with the e-torque setup, so if you have an automatic, being that it is a 2021, you have the mild hybrid. If you have the manual transmission, then it yes Edelbrock and Magnuson both have popular kits. Ripp is there too, so you have some choices.

FJL40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr 6spd
Series two Pentastar engines don’t like boost very much. They do very well NA, but when you start cramming air into them, they get too hot and because the block is not designed to flex slowly (like series one), they go boom quickly under boost. The biggest factor is tuning. I don’t believe anyone has figured out how to safely tune these high compression engines for good boost. Off the shelf tuners are a dice roll. They do ok with 5-7 psi on flex, but anything more than that will reduce engine longevity more than half.

OP
OP
BPD101

BPD101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depends on your specific vehicle. No manufacture has developed a kit to work with the e-torque setup, so if you have an automatic, being that it is a 2021, you have the mild hybrid. If you have the manual transmission, then it yes Edelbrock and Magnuson both have popular kits. Ripp is there too, so you have some choices.
I went with the 6 speed manual. Love feeling engaged while driving.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BPD101

BPD101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Series two Pentastar engines don’t like boost very much. They do very well NA, but when you start cramming air into them, they get too hot and because the block is not designed to flex slowly (like series one), they go boom quickly under boost. The biggest factor is tuning. I don’t believe anyone has figured out how to safely tune these high compression engines for good boost. Off the shelf tuners are a dice roll. They do ok with 5-7 psi on flex, but anything more than that will reduce engine longevity more than half.
So if I just run a lower boost PSI you think it'll handle the pressure?

FJL40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr 6spd
So if I just run a lower boost PSI you think it'll handle the pressure?
Yes, however, the thing to consider then is, “is it worth it?” Forced Induction is great, especially if the cost-to-performance ratio is good. Is $5k worth it for 5-7 psi of potentially destroying your engine?…is it also worth it for 3psi of boost? For example, buying a $5k turbo kit for a Supra is probably well worth it because the gain in power and maintenance of reliability is in your favor…its proven and your realistically “improving” your car. With the Jeep, neither reliability or power gains are in your favor compared to the cost. Is 50-70hp gain while sacrificing your Jeep’s reliability really worth $5k when all said and done? Probably not. If you want more grunt, get the 392 or do a V8 swap. The lemon will be worth the squeeze in that scenario.

Last edited:

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Just to confirm, you do have the vehicle already, right? I only ask since your profile is so new.

If not, the 2.0T would probably be the easier of the two motors to get more power out of for a reasonable cost.

OP
OP
BPD101

BPD101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No I’m waiting for delivery. It’s on order. I wasn’t a fan of the 2.0 when I drove it. Never been a fan of turbos. Even the slightest turbo lag irritates me. I went to pull into traffic when I was test driving the 2.0 and the thing did t push out as quickly as I wanted. I like the instantaneous power of a SC or NA engine.

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
Since u have the MT, the only real option you have for a power increase is FAI. I think the Eldebrock version seems to be legit, and they offer a 3yr/ 36k mi powertrain warranty. Plus their techs are active on this board and helped at least one guy who bought a second hand demo model that had issues. It was impressive (to me) cause they really didn't have to help him at all, but they did anyway.

NA vs FAI is like angry eyes vs the stock grill debates. Dont worry what anyone else thinks and wear what you dig.

Then again its also like what they say about gambling.....if u cant afford to lose your bet, then you probably shouldn't play.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BPD101

BPD101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since u have the MT, the only real option you have for a power increase is FAI. I think the Eldebrock version seems to be legit, and they offer a 3yr/ 36k mi powertrain warranty. Plus their techs are active on this board and helped at least one guy who bought a second hand demo model that had issues. It was impressive (to me) cause they really didn't have to help him at all, but they did anyway.

NA vs FAI is like angry eyes vs the stock grill debates. Dont worry what anyone else thinks and wear what you dig.

Then again its also like what they say about gambling.....if u cant afford to lose your bet, then you probably shouldn't play.
Yeah I figure that was the route I was going anyway. I’m a fan of SC, did it on an 02 mustang when I was younger and it was a great increase in HP for the money. And hey, if I blow up the engine then I get to do an LS swap lol.

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
Yeah I figure that was the route I was going anyway. I’m a fan of SC, did it on an 02 mustang when I was younger and it was a great increase in HP for the money. And hey, if I blow up the engine then I get to do an LS swap lol.
I like where your head is at. If you go ahead with it, please keep us informed, and post often.

I plan on doing this also, but the wife is making me pay off the jeep first.....:angry:.

35 more months to go.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I bet a super low mileage 3.6 would go a long way to offset a hemi swap….

OP
OP
BPD101

BPD101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like where your head is at. If you go ahead with it, please keep us informed, and post often.

I plan on doing this also, but the wife is making me pay off the jeep first.....:angry:.

35 more months to go.
Yeah paying off the jeep is step one. Luckily with my trade I’m actually getting 11k back so I’ll be in a good position to do this soon. I’ll post as I go. Thanks for the info on Edelbrock.

ShawnC

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited
There’s a great thread here from @Torero on his experience with the 3.6 with MT and the ProCharger SC. Well worth the read if you are considering FAI.
Sponsored