jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Funny to read these so called 'experts' on JL manual transmission. I leave my tranny in first for city driving and maybe 2nd if I'm going over 75 on the interstate. It's easy on the elbow and shoulders plus my little mutt likes to sleep under the clutch pedal.
I'm so offended right now!!
Wait a minute... I have the manual transmission in my JLR and you're telling me it has a sixth gear?
It's just for looks.

offset_98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2011 Toyota Sienna
I think there's just a level of getting used to it. I'll typically short shift when I'm in traffic because there's no benefit to revving the piss out of it which means, in traffic l'll generally hit 5th around 50-55 and not see 6th unless I'm on a free flowing freeway doing over 70. OP mentions it's hard to get up to 3000 RPM and I get what you're saying when you say this but in reality, when I'm pulling out onto a 4 lane divided highway, I just push the accelerator harder and go. This engine doesn't seem to hate revving so enjoy it.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I shift at the rev limiter, and down shift from 6 to first ... like a real man.. hope this trans holds up better then last ones!
You too!!!!!

Sponsored

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Having the jeep for about 2 weeks now, i agree with most peeps here, at the beginning, i was shifting at around 2100 or 2200 rpm's and would sometime feel like it would lug or it just didn't have enough power but now i find that at 2500 to 3000 rpm's that the she seems to like it there! (Yes, the jeep is a "she"! And yes, my wife is jealous of her...)

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Having the jeep for about 2 weeks now, i agree with most peeps here, at the beginning, i was shifting at around 2100 or 2200 rpm's and would sometime feel like it would lug or it just didn't have enough power but now i find that at 2500 to 3000 rpm's that the she seems to like it there! (Yes, the jeep is a "she"! And yes, my wife is jealous of her...)
It wouldn't be so bad if you'd quit forgetting which one to leave in the garage at night! :giggle:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I drove the Tail of the Dragon in Tennessee/North Carolina Saturday, just for kicks and to show it to my kids. It was a BLAST! It was in the wet, but 318 turns in 11 miles is still pretty fun, even having to finesse it a bit.

No, it wasn't a racecar, but the road is just pure fun. The manual transmission and 3.6 is still a hoot, even though it isn't a sports car. With the Magnaflow exhaust, it just sounds great when you get the revs up. It was enough to make my 8 year old nauseous. He threw up a really nice grilled cheese he ate in Townsend. Fortunately, he mostly got it on himself and on the floor liner. Only a small bit got on the seat.

A bunch of guys were crowded around a yellow Ferarri, when we pulled up at the Killboy Tail of the Dragon shop at the end. They walked over to the red Jeep and asked as many questions as they did about the Ferarri. My kids were overjoyed at that! Lol!

We saw a McLaren, too. I think he was afraid of the rain, though. I think Iwas going a little faster than he was. :LOL::CWL:

I'm glad it was rainy, though. I've been on it when dry and both motorcycle and car drivers can be just nuts there. I wouldn't have driven it if crowded and dry. Not worth the risk.

My YJ, btw was as fun on curvy roads as this Jeep, when it was on stock tires. That thing had 50/50 weight distribution and zero body roll. The old Aisin 5 speed was ok, but dump truckish. The 2.5 was just a tractor motor. Still, it was fun. What a blast it would be if that little 3,000lb YJ had this 3.6 and transmission combo!

Anyone can laugh, if they want, but I was smiling the whole drive and do every time I take this thing out, whether on a challenging trail or on a curvy road, especially in the summer with the top/doors off. I'm so glad I got the manual.

Here's the crew in front of the Dragon.
deaMprz.jpg

Hotrodnut

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLU
I don’t understand everyone saying they don’t need 6th on the highway. Maybe I am missing something but if you’re cruising at highway speeds, why wouldn’t you put it in the highest gear for better mileage and shift if you need to?
Exactly, I have yet to be on an interstate in my JLU in the almost 10k miles.

I probably don't have 10 miles in 6th gear and very few in 5th.

I watch the MPG shown and determined that most of my driving I get better MPG in 4th. Say I'm running 55 MPH on the flat Florida roads, in 4th I'm showing 23-24 MPG. Shifting to 5th it drops to 21-22 MPG.

Some areas around has a 60 MPH limit and it still gets better MPG in 4th than 5th.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

I watch the MPG shown and determined that most of my driving I get better MPG in 4th. Say I'm running 55 MPH on the flat Florida roads, in 4th I'm showing 23-24 MPG. Shifting to 5th it drops to 21-22 MPG.

Some areas around has a 60 MPH limit and it still gets better MPG in 4th than 5th.
Many people really don't think about it. Regearing is really unnecessary most of the time. Final drive ratio is all that really matters. In my 6-speed with 37s, 1st is still plenty low. 75 mph in 4th or 5th is not far off in rpm from what I was running originally with my stock tires and 6th gear.

I hear lots of people wanting to regear their auto so they can use 7th and 8th gear again, but why spend the money? Especially with an auto, 1st works just fine.

Sponsored

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase

So why is that? You would think that you would get better gas mileage with higher gear....

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Firecracker Red 3.6L 6MT
almost 4000 miles, i rarely go into 5th gear unless i hit 65+ and my rpms still stay between 2.5 and 3. I dont shift until im over 3k. It seems to operate best above 2k and anything under just seems to lug. 6th is just unnecessary for me lmao.

i drive in boston rush hour traffic in the morning to work and i rarely hit 3rd gear.
Sponsored