Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 2 door Jeep Wrangler Sport S with a 2 1/2” lift and 35 inch tires
Occupation
Clerk on the NYSE
Vehicle Showcase
So, my new JLU Sahara is my first Jeep. All of my previous cars have been sport sedans with stick.

That being said, I have a question for those with manual transmission on your Jeep...

In pretty much all of my other cars, I would typically shift around 3000 RPM. I am finding it very difficult to reach 3000 in the Jeep. Is this engine designed to run at lower RPM. Riding at 70MPH on the highway in 5th, I am still around only 2200 RPM. How would I ever even shift into 6th gear? In my car before the Jeep I would be in 4th gear around 40MPH. I take it this is just something I need to get used?

For what its worth, even having come from very sport cars, I love driving the manual in the Jeep
Sponsored

Dice23

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 2 door Jeep Wrangler Sport S with a 2 1/2” lift and 35 inch tires
Occupation
Clerk on the NYSE
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed this too. I have a JL Sport S and I drive by feel When I did look at the rpm's I saw that it runs lower than what I'm familiar with.

I don't really get it into 6th gear unless I'm cruising at 70mph or higher, and if I need some power, I have to downshift to 5th or piss off the people behind me. I think at 80mph, 6th gear would be ok but I'm not trying to get a ticket.
If you have the Rubicon the 4.10 gear ratio will give you higher RPM’s

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
On the D478, 1st gear got lower and 2nd gear got higher vs. the outgoing trans. So, I would expect it to feel awkward until you get to the 2-3 shift. That's a pretty big gap to cover between 1 and 2.

I found myself taking off in 2nd a lot with the JKU and I'm certain I'd do that with the JLU.

Skuj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Manual, Black hard top, Cold Weather, LED, Safety, Tow package, Body color fenders.
So, my new JLU Sahara is my first Jeep. All of my previous cars have been sport sedans with stick.

That being said, I have a question for those with manual transmission on your Jeep...

In pretty much all of my other cars, I would typically shift around 3000 RPM. I am finding it very difficult to reach 3000 in the Jeep. Is this engine designed to run at lower RPM. Riding at 70MPH on the highway in 5th, I am still around only 2200 RPM. How would I ever even shift into 6th gear? In my car before the Jeep I would be in 4th gear around 40MPH. I take it this is just something I need to get used?

For what its worth, even having come from very sport cars, I love driving the manual in the Jeep
I got my first JLUR couple months back and had been adjusting to its manual shift intricacies. However, shifting to 5th and 6th hasn't been an issue for me. I shift to 5th when it crosses 50mph mark and to 6th at 60 MPH. Shifts have always been smooth. Any shifts under those boundaries, the engine will kind of rattle and let me know it's not ready. I do not look at RPM in this case, (although it is always below 3000 FWITW).

tesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 Ocean Blue
On the D478, 1st gear got lower and 2nd gear got higher vs. the outgoing trans. So, I would expect it to feel awkward until you get to the 2-3 shift. That's a pretty big gap to cover between 1 and 2.

I found myself taking off in 2nd a lot with the JKU and I'm certain I'd do that with the JLU.
I thought the same thing before I bought/drove mine. It does not like to leave in 2nd. It'll do it, but you've got to give it pretty high revs and then let the clutch slip like crazy. Even then, you're going to be leaving really slowly. I tried it a few times but I don't ever do it now.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Well, Iv’e read every post in this room and I’m not gonna single anyone out or embarrass someone but most in here clearly know what they’re doing but there’s a few folks in here that the manual trans is not for you.

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
I might start a new thread on this - but have you manual tranny owners ever noticed some rattling metal sound that seems to come from the tranny (not engine?) when accelerating from lower rpms right after shifting into 2nd, 3rd, or 4th? More noticeable in 3rd maybe. Is this normal for a Jeep??? I verified with at least 2 people locally that their new JL does it too.

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
I have a stock '18 Sport JLU, w/a 6 SPD Manual, w/the standard 3.45 gearing w/a limited-slip rear differential, and 245/75R17 All Terrain Tires.

Doing 70 mph, my rpms are:

4th - 2500 rpm
5th - 2000 rpm
6th - 1800 rpm

Most of the time I keep it in 4th when driving locally, but going on a long trip, doing 70:

- On level highways, I can go into and stay in 6th (1800 rpms) w/no issues.

- As soon as the road starts to get a little hilly, I have to downshift into 5th (2000 rpms) because I quickly start loosing power.

- Once the hills come along, I have to go into 4th (2500 rpms).

Again, this is w/stock 245/75R17 All Terrain Tires, and if they were bigger, I most likely could go no higher than 4th.

I wish Jeep still offered an optional 3.73 gearing, which was available on the JK's. It was the best over-all gearing, for both highway and off-road.

Last edited:

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I might start a new thread on this - but have you manual tranny owners ever noticed some rattling metal sound that seems to come from the tranny (not engine?) when accelerating from lower rpms right after shifting into 2nd, 3rd, or 4th? More noticeable in 3rd maybe. Is this normal for a Jeep??? I verified with at least 2 people locally that their new JL does it too.
I think it’s a synchronizer that’s a little loose. Iv’e never had it in my Jeep but before Jeep I had Ford Explorer and Ford Bronco. Both did it forever and both transmissions lasted to the end.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I have a stock '18 Sport JLU, w/a 6 SPD Manual, w/the standard 3.45 gearing w/a limited-slip rear differential, and 245/75R17 All Terrain Tires.

Doing 70 mph, my rpms are:

4th - 2500 rpm
5th - 2000 rpm
6th - 1800 rpm

Most of the time I keep it in 4th when driving locally, but going on a long trip, doing 70:

- On level highways, I can go into and stay in 6th (1800 rpms) w/no issues.

- As soon as the road starts to get a little hilly, I have to downshift into 5th (2000 rpms) because I quickly start loosing power.

- Once the hills come along, I have to go into 4th (2000 rpms).

Again, this is w/stock 245/75R17 All Terrain Tires, and if they were bigger, I most likely could go no higher than 4th.

I wish Jeep still offered an optional 3.73 gearing, which was available on the JK's. It was the best over-all gearing, for both highway and off-road.
I have a Sport S with the 285/70/17 tires like on the Rubicon. My experience is pretty similar. With the KO2s I only use 6th over 70 going downhill. I cruse in 5th on level highways and use 4th for hills. I can usually pass in 4th but sometimes I may even drop to 3rd. I could pretty much stay in 4th on the highway most of the time.

Last edited:

Sponsored

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Sport S with the 285/70/17 tires like on the Rubicon. My experience is pretty similar. With the KO2s I only use 6th over 70 going downhill. I cruse in 5th on level highways and use 4th for hills. I can usually pass in 4th but sometimes I may even drop to 3rd. I could pretty much stay in 4th on the highway most of the time.
I'll be staying w/the 245/75R17 All Terrain tires because of the higher gearing (3.45) I have, but maybe go w/nicer rims eventually, say from a Jeep Moab perhaps.

The 245/75R17 All Terrain tires are just fine for the type of off-roading I do here in SoCal. I'm not into the heavy stuff, which is why I got a Sport vs. a Rubicon. I've owned a JKU Rubicon in the past, and felt that it was a total waste of money for the type of off-roading which I did, not only here in SoCal, but up in Washington State, from which I'm from.

For general off-roading, the lockers are useless since they only work in 4Lo, and of course, can't be used on pavement, while w/the Limited -Slips, they can be used on both types of surfaces, wet or dry, 2 or 4 wheel drive. Going to the extremes off-road when it comes to heavy climbing and such, is where the Rubicon comes in, w/its Lockers, as well as its 4:1 transfer case, and the sway-bar disconnect, to allow for the maximum amount of wheel travel.

Once again, an optional 3.73 gearing would of been great on the Sport Models, allowing for not only better power to the road, but would allow a little leeway for people to add bigger tires if they so wish.

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
Do any of you know this is a Jeep Wrangler forum and that we're talking about Jeep Wranglers??

My '19 JLR is my first Jeep and I knew coming in that it would not be fast or sporty. Coming from a 300HP VW GTI, the experience is completely different. AS IT SHOULD BE.

My Jeep is slow and chuggy. Wranglers are designed to crawl up mountains, not burn up the pavement. Why are any of you trying to turn them into sports cars??

In all my other manual transmission cars I've either shifted 1->3->5 or 1->3->6.

Unless it's actually lugging at 50 MPH in 6th, I can't see the JL being any different.
First, Wranglers are not going to be anything like "all my other manual transmission cars". DUH.

Second, in 6th, my Jeep is a DOG. ZERO acceleration unless I am already over 75, and even then it's terrible. 5th and 6th gears are for cruising and fuel saving only. If you want to pass someone on the interstate and are not already going over 70, you will HAVE to downshift to 4th or 3rd. At 50MPH and in 6th gear it will take you approximately three hours to get to 52MPH. That is just not going to work.

The gearing combined with a weak engine are just not great for normal street driving. It'll get you there but it will not blow your socks off. You will just have to get used to it. This is also AS IT SHOULD BE. These are Wranglers, not Trackhawks.

Well, Iv’e read every post in this room and I’m not gonna single anyone out or embarrass someone but most in here clearly know what they’re doing but there’s a few folks in here that the manual trans is not for you.
^^THIS^^

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 285/70/17 KO2s on my sport and really didn't notice any difference on the highway.
6th gear is great for cruising on the flat interstate. Any whiff of a hill and I drop to 5th. 4th is for passing but drop to 3rd if you're passing on a hill or in a big hurry. It gets up and goes but you have to give it RPMs. At first I was afraid to give it the the RPMs it needs to really accelerate at highway speeds. Like 4,500 to 5,000. I love it, but it's not like my Toyota Highlander which you just about can leave in cruise control and let it steer itself. Boring as hell.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Funny to read these so called 'experts' on JL manual transmission. I leave my tranny in first for city driving and maybe 2nd if I'm going over 75 on the interstate. It's easy on the elbow and shoulders plus my little mutt likes to sleep under the clutch pedal.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Funny to read these so called 'experts' on JL manual transmission. I leave my tranny in first for city driving and maybe 2nd if I'm going over 75 on the interstate. It's easy on the elbow and shoulders plus my little mutt likes to sleep under the clutch pedal.
Oh yea JDB, well I start in 6th gear so I can go real fast at once! LMAO. P.S. we should put in the disclaimer that we're kidding because you know some knucklehead will think we're serious.
Sponsored