For those who have a manual JL

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
I found my clutch to be very sticky or grabby for the first several thousand miles until it broke in. This made it VERY difficult to drive smoothly. Honestly, after driving stick all my life I don't think I have ever stalled a vehicle as much as my JL for the first 3k miles. It's now since broken in though, and it's become a peach.
Omg dude...same here. So many stalls lol between the low torque V6 and the zero feedback clutch...this is my fourth new manual vehicle and by far the most challenging to operate properly.
Ffwd to 19k miles though and all that sh*t is long gone. Save the Manuals!
THESE.

I am just over 8000 miles and still the damn thing WANTS to stall in 1st gear, and reverse is WORSE. I have to ride the clutch pedal hard to get a smooth launch, otherwise it wants to grab hard and with so little torque the engine just bogs. Every vehicle I have ever owned has been a manual (I'm 45) so driving a stick is not foreign to me. I hope this fades away or that I just get used to it.
Sponsored

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
THESE.

I am just over 8000 miles and still the damn thing WANTS to stall in 1st gear, and reverse is WORSE. I have to ride the clutch pedal hard to get a smooth launch, otherwise it wants to grab hard and with so little torque the engine just bogs. Every vehicle I have ever owned has been a manual (I'm 45) so driving a stick is not foreign to me. I hope this fades away or that I just get used to it.
SAME HERE!!
Literally the other day I wondered if a super heavy flywheel would help. haha I had a trailer hooked up, about 2k lbs, and backing up was embarrassing......reverse ratio is way way way too high.
For some reason, it got a little better when I switched to 91 octane, less pinging and lugging when the RPMs bog down as you let the clutch out. Or, maybe it's just getting better as it is getting broken in. Just hit 8,000miles on it.

OP
OP
jaozus

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Firecracker Red 3.6L 6MT
For anyone still following- called the dealer and the service advisor himself and the manager went and took a drive, agreed that it did not feel right. should be smooth coming up. theyre in contact with their "Area technician" and they will be stopping by tomorrow to diagnose in person..

fingers crossed..

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
SAME HERE!!
Literally the other day I wondered if a super heavy flywheel would help. haha I had a trailer hooked up, about 2k lbs, and backing up was embarrassing......reverse ratio is way way way too high.
For some reason, it got a little better when I switched to 91 octane, less pinging and lugging when the RPMs bog down as you let the clutch out. Or, maybe it's just getting better as it is getting broken in. Just hit 8,000miles on it.
I think a lot of it would be fixed with different gearing. The 3.43 gears in the sport is a pain to drive in like a parking lot because 4-5mph is too slow to let off the gas and too slow for 2nd gear.

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
I think a lot of it would be fixed with different gearing. The 3.43 gears in the sport is a pain to drive in like a parking lot because 4-5mph is too slow to let off the gas and too slow for 2nd gear.
My Rubicon with 4.10 gears does the same thing.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
For anyone still following- called the dealer and the service advisor himself and the manager went and took a drive, agreed that it did not feel right. should be smooth coming up. theyre in contact with their "Area technician" and they will be stopping by tomorrow to diagnose in person..

fingers crossed..
Good, sounds like they'll get after it. I'm at 22k with no issues, so we know this thing can and should be great.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Maybe, but it's not my only manual vehicle currently, and while everyone acclimates to their manual vehicles over time this is different. My wife made notice that it shifts much much better now than it did brand new just the other day, and she very rarely drives it, so she's a good control for this instance.

When it had no miles on it, it was not easy to get going smoothly in first at all. The clutch was all or nothing for quite a while and it was really inconsistent on the point of engagement, but has since smoothed out over time notably. Honestly, I was pretty concerned when I first got it.
I'm surprised as much as you are (and you seem to be driving more manuals than I am) that it broke in so much, so quickly. If I were you, I'd now keep track of it going over the hill with the breaking in after the miles you have now are doubled. As in, I wonder if there's continuous and excessive wear here. Hope it's not the case.

Jeepcity

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl rubicon tj rubicon yj cj 8 cj 7 cherokee
With the addition of 5:13 gears .my Rubicon is now barely acceptable .but the clutch still is highly suspect , for having a long life .
"Some" people love theirs ,but after 45 years of owning manual jeeps. i find them very unconvincing.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
With the addition of 5:13 gears .my Rubicon is now barely acceptable .but the clutch still is highly suspect , for having a long life .
"Some" people love theirs ,but after 45 years of owning manual jeeps. i find them very unconvincing.
Well damn, my ultimate goal was 4.88s, but only 33" tires.

OP
OP
jaozus

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Firecracker Red 3.6L 6MT
Is it wrong for me to slowly get more and more upset? I've only had the car for a month, and I don't know how long the car will be at the shop. and in my first visit the service foreman had the audacity to tell me to my face that it was normal!

What kinda pissed me off was that they had to wait for their "area technician" to schedule a time today to come in and diagnose in person?? what are the 10 other techs they have employed good for then?

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Is it wrong for me to slowly get more and more upset? I've only had the car for a month, and I don't know how long the car will be at the shop. and in my first visit the service foreman had the audacity to tell me to my face that it was normal!

What kinda pissed me off was that they had to wait for their "area technician" to schedule a time today to come in and diagnose in person?? what are the 10 other techs they have employed good for then?
Do you have the gritty feeling as well? Or crunchy?

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

I ran into similar things with a new ram I purchased (weird troubles they couldn't figure out). I was pretty patient but ended up trading it after a long saga. You're not wrong to get upset, but on the flip side every mfgr has some bugs and lemons, and they're hard to figure out by mere humans. As long as they're working hard to get it fixed for you I'd be a little more patient. But not forever....

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Are you seeing the clutch slip under load? I wonder if there's an aftermarket HD clutch avail for these?

Jeepcity

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl rubicon tj rubicon yj cj 8 cj 7 cherokee
Are you seeing the clutch slip under load? I wonder if there's an aftermarket HD clutch avail for these?

I have not had it slip under load. but there was an time when i had to slip the clutch to keep from stalling, while reversing up a slight incline.
And you could smell the clutch did not like it.Were as in my older Jeeps there would never been an issue , with the same amount of slippage .
Sponsored