jaozus

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Firecracker Red 3.6L 6MT
I'd recommend bringing yours in to the dealership - apparently it is a common issue?? the seals in the slave cylinder were leaking, causing it to be fail early..
Sponsored

NJMevec

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Occupation
Salesman at Dodge Chrysler Jeep RAM
The spring behind my clutch pedal was binding. It reminded me of a cheap r/c car's suspension. Anyways, I sprayed my spring with some silicon lube and my creaking hasn't returned after 7k miles.
Do you think removing the spring would make it stiffer? Haven't crawled under the pedal assembly to see if it holds the pedal up or how it assists the pedal operation.

otter3591

First Name
Denise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport
DB635365-0CA6-4D4E-BB7C-FF281F234F4F.jpeg
Hey all, i got a question for those who have the 6spd manual JLs. Does your clutch have a “sticky” sensation upon letting off the clutch? Its for the first second of letting it off. Drives and engages fine otherwise. Took my Sport S to the dealership and they said this was normal operation as he drove a few of the manual JLs and experienced the same feeling. Due to a spring loaded mechanism they say. Started experiencing it yesterday and didnt notice it before..

Just wanna confirm with the rest of y’all before I take it to another dealer or shop!
I have a manual and have not felt any sticking feeling at all.

KeithM

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 06 Duramax, e39 Touring
Occupation
Software
Do you think removing the spring would make it stiffer? Haven't crawled under the pedal assembly to see if it holds the pedal up or how it assists the pedal operation.
With a skinny screwdriver it is actually really easy to disconnect the spring. I drove up and down my street and you might actually prefer it. It may be slightly stiffer, but it is definitely more linear/natural feeling. I reconnected mine as I don’t know the repercussions of having it disconnected. Having the clutch pedal fully pressed makes the spring easier to get in and out if you want to try it.

Jlur2018white

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur manual
yep, removing the spring works, have had mine off for 2k now and no issues, but feel, no noise or sticking like i had

Sponsored

OP
OP
jaozus

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmmm thinking bout removing my spring and seeing if it makes my clutch feel any better.

NJMevec

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Occupation
yep, removing the spring works, have had mine off for 2k now and no issues, but feel, no noise or sticking like i had
Hmmm thinking bout removing my spring and seeing if it makes my clutch feel any better.
I took the spring off and drove it around the block, my clutch didn't spring back all the way to the top like it does with the spring and I leave my foot resting on the clutch so I can depress it quickly. While driving like that the clutch pedal was vibrating with a much shorter throw than usual. Honestly think the friction plate grinds on the clutch when I leave mine like that. I put the spring back. Shame because I like it more without the spring

OP
OP
jaozus

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE, ISSUE IS BACK!

It was relatively fine the first few days after getting it back. Slight resistance coming up but dealer says that is still due to the spring pedal and is normal. They found leaks and replaced my master and slave cylinder and supposedly fixed it.

Today it just got worse again, was on 93 commuting into Boston this morning and it was just like mashing my pedal into a puddle of glue and letting off. Took forever, extremely annoyed.

Gonna try and bring it back to the dealer. Called them and they said they currently do not have any loaners, but is expecting a black wrangler, also manual, to be returned around lunch time and was told they would reserve it for me. Hopefully I can check out the loaners manual and see if its really "normal" like the foreman claims.

This brings my total of visits to the service dept for the same issue to 3. The 1st visit didnt really count since I left after they told me it was normal... mistake on my part. If they dont fix it after this maybe I can lemon law it. Who knows..

If anyone else is still reading, and is in the MA area, anyone willing to let me check out their clutch? Assuming I don't get the manual loaner I really wanna see if the spring in the pedal is really causing that much resistance. Don't even have to drive it, just wanna step on the clutch a couple times..

NJMevec

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Occupation
UPDATE, ISSUE IS BACK!

It was relatively fine the first few days after getting it back. Slight resistance coming up but dealer says that is still due to the spring pedal and is normal. They found leaks and replaced my master and slave cylinder and supposedly fixed it.

Today it just got worse again, was on 93 commuting into Boston this morning and it was just like mashing my pedal into a puddle of glue and letting off. Took forever, extremely annoyed.

Gonna try and bring it back to the dealer. Called them and they said they currently do not have any loaners, but is expecting a black wrangler, also manual, to be returned around lunch time and was told they would reserve it for me. Hopefully I can check out the loaners manual and see if its really "normal" like the foreman claims.

This brings my total of visits to the service dept for the same issue to 3. The 1st visit didnt really count since I left after they told me it was normal... mistake on my part. If they dont fix it after this maybe I can lemon law it. Who knows..

If anyone else is still reading, and is in the MA area, anyone willing to let me check out their clutch? Assuming I don't get the manual loaner I really wanna see if the spring in the pedal is really causing that much resistance. Don't even have to drive it, just wanna step on the clutch a couple times..
Definitely not normal if this dealership continues to not assist you I would go to another dealership. I'm over in Syracuse bit of a drive from the Boston area lol

OP
OP
jaozus

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely not normal if this dealership continues to not assist you I would go to another dealership. I'm over in Syracuse bit of a drive from the Boston area lol
Ah my concern is that this dealer has the best reviews out of all the ones I've researched... plus the other dealers are all booked until like October/November

Sponsored

OP
OP
jaozus

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dealership got me into a Sahara 6MT for a loaner. To me, it felt like a COMPLETELY different clutch. I know that not all clutches are supposed to be the same but should the differences be that drastic?

In my Sport S, it feels like a long travel, i feel the resistance, then the the rest of the way down. Super light clutch. Upon letting off, theres that inch or so of "sticky" where it would be slow coming up. My starts at red lights are annoying and really lurchy because of this. Sometimes I might have to rev a bit to get the clutch to move a little. The sticky feeling happens intermittently, usually going from neutral to first gear, then second. I also feel it when I downshift from 3rd to 2nd.

I got into the Sahara and I felt a HUGE difference. Much shorter travel imo, resistance, then the rest of the way down. A bit stiffer than the Sport S as well. Upon letting off, no sticky feeling whatsoever. It traveled with my foot as I left off, smooth as hell. My driving feels so much smoother in the Sahara.

OP
OP
jaozus

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NVM just realized my loaner is a 2018 and they added a spring and changed the clutch pedal for the 2019s so my feedback above is irrelevant...

lastxit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU 4-door
Mine was smooth until I went topless on some back gravel roads and now it creaks and makes a squeaking noise. I'm thinking gravel dust got in there. Hitting the joints at the spring assembly with some WD40 helped.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Sorry to resurrect this, but I’ve got a 2020 JLUR M/T and am having some oddities. Everyone is describing a smooth clutch, but mine bites hard (sticky?) immediately upon moving back up from the floor a tiny portion of overall travel. I’m slowly getting used to it, but second gear is the worst time I’ve ever had getting used to a new clutch. This is only my 4th, and I only have 800 miles or so. I might be the problem, or I just need to be patient with break in. But does anyone have potentially similar experience?
Sponsored