jaozus

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Firecracker Red 3.6L 6MT
Do you have the gritty feeling as well? Or crunchy?
nah not gritty or crunchy, just a consistent "stuck in glue" feeling upon letting off

sometimes though when i step down on clutch theres a "ka-dunk" sound that is apparently normal due to all the moving parts within the clutch and transmission
Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I have not had it slip under load. but there was an time when i had to slip the clutch to keep from stalling, while reversing up a slight incline.
And you could smell the clutch did not like it.Were as in my older Jeeps there would never been an issue , with the same amount of slippage .
Smelling the clutch and slipping it is never really "bad" per se. If you do that every day, every time you start from a stop, the clutch will wear out *faster*. Clutches are designed such that they can take the slipping for probably 150k miles or something. You gotta remember that using a clutch normally is still wearing the clutch out, just slower. You are slipping the clutch every time you start and change gears.

Mane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner LTD
If there is excessive wear, I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If it fails though, It'll be the first manual vehicle that I've botched.

All kidding aside though it's been very consistent now after the break in occurred, and it's a common theme among manual sport owners around here I've noticed as well. You aren't wrong though and I'm totally keeping a sideways eye on it. Aisin isn't really known for building wimpy or generally low quality transmissions though.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
When driving to lunch I sat and tried to pay more attention to it. If you push your clutch very slowly you can feel its popping that feels like air in a hydraulic line or a stiff spring. I don't think its an issue with the actual clutch, maybe just some air or the return spring.

dabial

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara, waiting patiently 2023 Rubicon
no issues on mine have 3k miles on it

Sponsored

Jeepcity

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl rubicon tj rubicon yj cj 8 cj 7 cherokee
Smelling the clutch and slipping it is never really "bad" per se. If you do that every day, every time you start from a stop, the clutch will wear out *faster*. Clutches are designed such that they can take the slipping for probably 150k miles or something. You gotta remember that using a clutch normally is still wearing the clutch out, just slower. You are slipping the clutch every time you start and change gears.

I realize that .After 25 years of truck driving you get to understand clutches . Low torque engines combined with underrated clutches that are installed to keep the petal light.could get expensive seeing as there is no warranty . However time will tell .

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have not had it slip under load. but there was an time when i had to slip the clutch to keep from stalling, while reversing up a slight incline.
And you could smell the clutch did not like it.Were as in my older Jeeps there would never been an issue , with the same amount of slippage .
Gotcha. Yep, mine's done that too, especially backing up a trailer. I'm just going to run it until it's shot and then swap in a better clutch myself.

And while I'm at it maybe swap out the flywheel for something 3x heavier...haha

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
New gears really helps with all of these issues. Even the Rubi is just geared too high from the factory. I'm on 4.88 now with 35s and loving it. Might have liked 5.13 even more.

If you're on the fence about it, do it!

OP
OP
jaozus

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: called dealership again and found out a cylinder clutch was ordered. Guess the master cylinder went out after 2k miles? Hopefully this fixes the issue

Sponsored

OP
OP
jaozus

jaozus

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Slave cylinder?
Not sure, was only told a cylinder clutch was ordered. Should be getting car back tues/weds

For those with a smooth clutch, you all obviously feel the resistance as you initially reach the “bite” point, then it eases up again right?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure, was only told a cylinder clutch was ordered. Should be getting car back tues/weds

For those with a smooth clutch, you all obviously feel the resistance as you initially reach the “bite” point, then it eases up again right?
I'd have to feel what you are feeling. Describing clutch take up is difficult because everybody has different perceptions. It sounds right but then I think about mine and while I feel it grab, I'm not sure it causes resistance. It is smooth and I feel the engagement and can easily modulate it, if that's what you mean.

That said, there is no reason your clutch can't be right and good and then last a long, long time. It sounds like they've zeroed in on the culprit and that it was defective from the start and you just reached the point where it let go.

I'm hoping they get you fixed up and back on the road quickly and that you report back that all is well. These things can be finicky, but they are not that complicated to get right. I often wonder if part of the problem may be a lack of techs that really understand or have much experience with manual transmissions. I may be wrong on that, though, as there still were a fairly good number of JK manuals out there.

rid34fun

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yamaha Super Tenere
Occupation
Director of Campus Development
I don't have any issues, but there are some things I learned. I cannot hear, nor feel anything on my clutch, so it takes practice on when the clutch engages and how to gently feather the gas. I have not looked under my Jeep yet for this, but I would guess the slave pushes on the fork and that will need lube as all my other manual vehicles. Force a bit of lube in between there and it gets smoother.

From first to secomd, there is a lot of loading on the flexible suspension, and pushing the clutch in perfectly timed with a millisecond extra on the gas pedal produces a smoother disengagement.

I wish the engine had a bit more growl, or the clutch a little more feel...

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
No sticky/bindy pedal here.

ravinmaniac

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
DB635365-0CA6-4D4E-BB7C-FF281F234F4F.jpeg
Hey all, i got a question for those who have the 6spd manual JLs. Does your clutch have a “sticky” sensation upon letting off the clutch? Its for the first second of letting it off. Drives and engages fine otherwise. Took my Sport S to the dealership and they said this was normal operation as he drove a few of the manual JLs and experienced the same feeling. Due to a spring loaded mechanism they say. Started experiencing it yesterday and didnt notice it before..

Just wanna confirm with the rest of y’all before I take it to another dealer or shop!
mine doesn't stick but i only have 300 miles so far
Sponsored