Sponsored

For Those Who Change Their Own Oil: what do you drain into? How do you dispose of it?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I just go to the nearest coin operated car wash and park the drain plug over the floor drain. I have a fumoto valve so I just pop it open while I spray the Jeep down. Once I'm done I refill the oil and go on my way.
I just drain mine in the parking lot of the Autozone where I got the new oil. Hell, it sure looks like everyone else does it too. In and out in one stop.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I just drain mine in the parking lot of the Autozone where I got the new oil. Hell, it sure looks like everyone else does it too. In and out in one stop.
The better way is to loosen the oil filter, start it up and then drive it around the parking lot until no more oil comes out. That way you can make creative designs in the parking lot that will last for at least a year. No reason to remove the drain plug as the oil pump is doing it's intended job, pumping oil.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The better way is to loosen the oil filter, start it up and then drive it around the parking lot until no more oil comes out. That way you can make creative designs in the parking lot that will last for at least a year. No reason to remove the drain plug as the oil pump is doing it's intended job, pumping oil.
At my Autozone, you wouldn't even notice the new pattern over the ones made by the leakers that come and go. The parking lot is more oil rich than "oil shale".

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
In the 70s my uncle would just dump it down the storm drain.

FYI Orilleys recycles oil too.
In the 70s when I was a teen, I dumped it over our back fence on a dirt road bank. I'm sure there are still rural people that still dump their oil in the ground somewhere. After all, It came from the ground.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
At least the Jeep is super easy to change the oil. Then, they got it right by having the filter and drain plug next to each other on the 2.0 motor. Unlike a Ford F150 where it's a mystery as to what filter it has and where it's located. Some are on top but others are hidden. Then you could be a recent Sorrento where it has 16 bolts that holds on the belly pan. Maybe most German cars that have belly pans with a multitude of different fasteners just to hold on the pan.

I'd say that most stuff I find in tires are various belly pan fasteners.
At my Autozone, you wouldn't even notice the new pattern over the ones made by the leakers that come and go. The parking lot is more oil rich than "oil shale".
It's a natural occuring sealcoat for the parking lot. Plus with enough oil, you have have that Mothers Polish sheen to the lot. Classy.

Ilya

First Name
Ilya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2019 sport 2 door 6MT
what do you do for the first oil change then? You won’t have an empty container.
For the first change I used 4L empty vinegar container which also fits very well under the Jeep below Femco oil drain valve

Sponsored

Wraif

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 2-door manual Rubicon, 09 JKU
I just go to the nearest coin operated car wash and park the drain plug over the floor drain. I have a fumoto valve so I just pop it open while I spray the Jeep down. Once I'm done I refill the oil and go on my way.
I hope to hell you are kidding, not only is that illegal, it’s terrible for the environment. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not some tree hugging, environmentalist. I do, however, like going into the woods, and having fun with my Jeep. I also want the outdoors to be as nice in the future for my daughter. If that’s your regular practice you are screwing it up for everybody. Don’t be a jerk, there are plenty of ways to get rid of used oil. Anybody else sees that and we get more haters that want to see trails closed to us because of irresponsible idiots like you.
Like I said, I hope youre joking.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
My dad's shop used to use waste oil heaters that would burn motor oil, actually almost any kind of oil, instead of natural gas. Burning 5 gallons of oil could save them $20 in natural gas cost. I would save my oil and take it up there about 10 gallons at a time. I haven't been using as much oil the past few years because I haven't been driving nearly as much, and I'm not sure their oil heaters are still running, so my last few oil changes I took my oil to our nearby Autozone. I called and they told me they would take up to 5 gallons at a time. I've bought a few jugs of oil at Walmart recently, this time I bought a jug from Autozone and took them 3 jugs full of used oil.

Wraif

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 2-door manual Rubicon, 09 JKU
what specific size Fumoto valve works for the Wrangle?
Go to their website, they have a very easy to use find a valve guide. I was too lazy to check for you , sorry

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
I hope to hell you are kidding, not only is that illegal, it’s terrible for the environment. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not some tree hugging, environmentalist. I do, however, like going into the woods, and having fun with my Jeep. I also want the outdoors to be as nice in the future for my daughter. If that’s your regular practice you are screwing it up for everybody. Don’t be a jerk, there are plenty of ways to get rid of used oil. Anybody else sees that and we get more haters that want to see trails closed to us because of irresponsible idiots like you.
Like I said, I hope youre joking.
I'm fairly certain they're all kidding.
Sponsored

Reactions: VNT