Sponsored

For Those Who Change Their Own Oil: what do you drain into? How do you dispose of it?

MonLee

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sport S
I prefer to drain my oil into one of these, it's amazing how much oil they can absorb.
Jeep Wrangler JL For Those Who Change Their Own Oil: what do you drain into? How do you dispose of it? newsdominospasta
Sponsored

PBosch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon XR
and here I was hesitant to post, I thought I was the only one.
Highly illegal and also costly to the car wash operator you a screwing over, not to mention the planet. Your grand kids can thank you later.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Highly illegal and also costly to the car wash operator you a screwing over, not to mention the planet. Your grand kids can thank you later.
Ummmm... pretty sure they were joking just like I don't change my oil at Whole Foods.

Ilya

First Name
Ilya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2019 sport 2 door 6MT
Use Femco drain valve and pour the used oil directly in to its own, now empty container. Used oil bring to local waste disposal center.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Use Femco drain valve and pour the used oil directly in to its own, now empty container. Used oil bring to local waste disposal center.
what do you do for the first oil change then? You won’t have an empty container.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
If you save the receipt and clean the outside of the jug really well, you can "return" it.
I bought a jug of Mobile 1 at Walmart once and I cracked it open only to find the seal was missing and the oil was used. If I ever find out who did that I'll make them drink it.

Now I crack the jug and check the seal.

We can't hurt the planet. Eventually it'll get tired of our bullshit and kill us all. It'll be fine until the sun expands and it begin orbiting inside the sun.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I bought a jug of Mobile 1 at Walmart once and I cracked it open only to find the seal was missing and the oil was used. If I ever find out who did that I'll make them drink it.

Now I crack the jug and check the seal.

We can't hurt the planet. Eventually it'll get tired of our bullshit and kill us all. It'll be fine until the sun expands and it begin orbiting inside the sun.
Have a buddy who says "pour that back in the ground...that's where it came from".

Sponsored

brennaman

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 WK 2014 JK, 2021 JLR snazzberry
Occupation
damn near retired
One autozone I went to in Scottsdale AZ wouldn't take my ATF or gear oil. But that was years ago. I later learned not to say what kind of used oil I'm dropping off. If they don't ask then I wont tell
The auto parts stores I go go also only takes motor oil. ATF and coolant I have to take to a transmission shop.

brennaman

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 WK 2014 JK, 2021 JLR snazzberry
Occupation
damn near retired
I go over to my local Whole Foods and pull up to one of the grassy islands in the parking lot where they have a small garden set up. I then rev my engine for a good 15 minutes to get the oil nice and viscous and then CAREFULLY (since it's hot... safety first) crawl under the Jeep and remove the plug.
While it's draining I crack open a nice cold Coors Lite and watch the horrified look on all the hippy, commie, liberal, tree hugger's faces. Once I'm done with the second beer I go under and put the plug back in and put my attention to the the oil filter. By this time I'm typically a little dirty and getting hungry from the beer in me so I take a break and grab something from the deli and a couple of paper towels. Another beer and pastrami on rye later and I'm back at the oil change and it's time to remove the filter.
Typically I will take the filter out and hang it from one of their bee hives they have in the garden as I find it keeps the wasps away from the hive.
Once that is done I will put the new filter in, fill er up with 5 QUARTS (not 6!!!!) and toss the oil jug in the trash bin and away I go.
It's Coors light, not Coors lite. Are you some kinda redneck? :CWL:

Merc

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door 6mt Willys; 2013 Subaru Crosstrek
I use a Fumoto valve in all of my vehicles. It vastly simplifies oil changes.

For gas engines that take 5 quarts or less I hook up a hose to the valve and drain directly into an empty oil jug. Zero mess that way.

For my diesels that take more to fill, I drain into a big catch can and then fill jugs from there.
what specific size Fumoto valve works for the Wrangle?

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
what specific size Fumoto valve works for the Wrangle?
Depends on the engine. You can look them up.
Sponsored