Sponsored

For Those Who Change Their Own Oil: what do you drain into? How do you dispose of it?

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I drain the oil into the ammo I can I use to hold quench oil for the forge. A lot of people say using motor oil is bad, m'kay, and I'm supposed to pay $870 a gallon for some fancy quenching oil (okay, it's probably not really that expensive), but used motor oil works fine. Stuff gets a black color from all the black contaminant crap in the oil, but that works for me.

I also dump my used cooking oil in the quench tank. When I quench something, it smells like bad blow-by and burnt french fries. Mmm mmm good!
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I just go to the nearest coin operated car wash and park the drain plug over the floor drain. I have a fumoto valve so I just pop it open while I spray the Jeep down. Once I'm done I refill the oil and go on my way.
Coin operated car wash? Must be nice to be rich. I find beaches at low tide are best, and there is the added bonus that if you spill any rushing to beat the tide, it won't make a mess of the ground for long. Plus, most furry or feathered animals appreciate the extra water proofing of used oil. Win\win.

Baddog2020

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Into a catch pan, dump back into empty container and off to the county recycle center where they accept used motor oil.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The OEM doesn't list a requirement it lists a "Mopar we recommend" that meets specific material standards or equivalent which they "recommend" the use of a full synthetic

So, from what you are saying they would have put full synthetic in? And they could have. For the v6 they recommend conventional.

Either way, it defiantly seems quieter with the synthetic I put in it. Happy with that.
conventional 0w-20 does not exist. The OE fill is pennzoil platinum full synthetic.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I have been using the pan below for over a decade. I drain it into a 5 gallon sample bottle and take it to AutoZone, WalMart, Advance Auto Parts, or O'Reilly's to recycle it when it is full.

Pan:

81bifoArByL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Those are great drain pans. We have like 10 of them at work. They are used to catch various fluids when doing a job (i.e. water pump). As for used oil, even a washer fluid bottle works. We have a number of people that drop off oil at the shop as we have a waste oil heater. We only tell people to make sure it's just oil and no other fluids mixed in it as that can cause big problems with that waste oil heater.

On the other hand we are completely toasty in the winter because we can run that heater 24/7 at a pretty high temperature and not run out of oil. In fact, I hope this is a really cold winter because we are running out of storage space for the used oil. Ironically, I fired the heater up yesterday just to make sure it was going to work as it's been off since April. No need to figure out it needs something when it's too late.

Sponsored

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
Wow. No wonder I am never happy with those token car wash places–

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I recently purchased this drain container to use when DIYing my JLU's fluid changes...

...because just after finishing the inaugural oil change on my Wrangler, I drove over the corner of the oil drain pan that I had used for decades. :( Turns out I didn't pull it far enough away from the tires when backing the vehicle out of the garage. Oopsie.

Anyway, the used oil is then poured into an empty cat litter bottle (the same litter that I used to soak up the aforementioned oopsie). When full, I take the bottle(s) to a local independent garage that accepts used motor oil.

Samples of used oil are always sent to Blackstone Laboratories for analysis. Per their report, they determined that the factory oil fill in my new JLU was "closer to 5W-20", which I found curious since the only specification for the 2.0T is 5W-30. The TBN was still decent, though, and thousands of miles later the forced induction engine continues to impress me.

Deleted member 59098

I find place like Vato Zone often say tanks are full when you try to drop off. I end up going to a few parts stores until it’s accepted. I have two other choices, the recycling center on Saturdays, or find a clear container and leave out with the weekly garbage pick up.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I go over to my local Whole Foods and pull up to one of the grassy islands in the parking lot where they have a small garden set up. I then rev my engine for a good 15 minutes to get the oil nice and viscous and then CAREFULLY (since it's hot... safety first) crawl under the Jeep and remove the plug.
While it's draining I crack open a nice cold Coors Lite and watch the horrified look on all the hippy, commie, liberal, tree hugger's faces. Once I'm done with the second beer I go under and put the plug back in and put my attention to the the oil filter. By this time I'm typically a little dirty and getting hungry from the beer in me so I take a break and grab something from the deli and a couple of paper towels. Another beer and pastrami on rye later and I'm back at the oil change and it's time to remove the filter.
Typically I will take the filter out and hang it from one of their bee hives they have in the garden as I find it keeps the wasps away from the hive.
Once that is done I will put the new filter in, fill er up with 5 QUARTS (not 6!!!!) and toss the oil jug in the trash bin and away I go.

JMurph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Put it in a milk just and take it to the local repair shop or some parts places recycle like Advance Auto. I've done both.
My auto zone won’t take it in a plastic milk carton. Only qualified oil containers.

Wraif

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 2-door manual Rubicon, 09 JKU
For those who change their own oil, what do you drain it into? How do you dispose of it?
Like everybody is saying , a plastic catch pan. You might want to look into a fumoto drain valve also. Makes the oil change easier and MUCH LESS MESSY.

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
Like everybody is saying , a plastic catch pan. You might want to look into a fumoto drain valve also. Makes the oil change easier and MUCH LESS MESSY.
^ This.
Although I ended up using "EZ Drain" equivalents because at the time no one had the Fumoto available. I started using these because a couple of my vehicles had the drain in the side of the oil pan - removing the drain plug squirted oil all over suspension components. I run the rig up on ramps so I can fit under it - and that also allows a 5-gallon bucket to fit underneath. The 5 gallon bucket has a lid on it, with a drain spout. I attach a short piece of hose to the nipple on the EZ Drain valve and stick the other end into the drain spout off the bucket, turn on the valve and all the oil going straight into the bucket without a drop being spilled. I then cap the 5 gallon bucket and take it to the local O'Reillys and dump it.
Sponsored