Sponsored

For Those Who Change Their Own Oil: what do you drain into? How do you dispose of it?

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I just go to the nearest coin operated car wash and park the drain plug over the floor drain. I have a fumoto valve so I just pop it open while I spray the Jeep down. Once I'm done I refill the oil and go on my way.
Back in the 80’s my brother would go behind the local mall at night and drain the oil directly into the storm drains.
True story🥸
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I just go to the nearest coin operated car wash and park the drain plug over the floor drain. I have a fumoto valve so I just pop it open while I spray the Jeep down. Once I'm done I refill the oil and go on my way.
Hope this is a joke.

If it isnt then why?. So easy to just pour into a container and take it to autozone.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
You can buy an oil catch pan from AutoZone, and return the used oil to them for free. They will also take gear oil and atf.
Technically, it's not free. You pay a disposal fee when you buy oil so they're obligated to take the used stuff back.

frankorego

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR Hard Rock (sold) 2021 JLUR 392
Occupation
Manager

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One autozone I went to in Scottsdale AZ wouldn't take my ATF or gear oil. But that was years ago. I later learned not to say what kind of used oil I'm dropping off. If they don't ask then I wont tell
Save a little used oil to put in your used coolant so it looks like you're dumping oil. They don't like used coolant either.

Sponsored

Beaching631

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, Manual, 35" & Fuel Coverts
I drain into an oil pan with one of those huge plastic 99-cent Home Depot plastic drop cloths underneath to catch any spills. I leave it in the pan until I fill the engine with the new oil. Then I funnel the old oil back into the now empty oil container. Put the cap back on. In New York it's a law that any mechanic has to accept used oil for recycling, so I can drop it off pretty much anywhere. Not sure if that's a law in other states though

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Drain into large pan as others here, pour back into the 5 qt jugs and swing by my dealer and pour it into their tanks, think the collect 5000 gallons and burn in their waste oil heating system, so it gets reused.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I drain mine directly into an empty bottle and then take it to a parts store like the others. I use this: http://www.stahlbus.com/products/en/oil-drain-valve/index.php

Jeep Wrangler JL For Those Who Change Their Own Oil: what do you drain into? How do you dispose of it? 1634849246787

Exactly what I use, works great! I just buy synthetic oil in 5qt jug from local auto parts, drain old oil into empty 5qt jug saved from last oil change, keep new empty 5qt jug for next oil change, drop off old oil at auto parts and while there, buy new 5qt jug for next oil change. (Saves having to go to auto parts store twice)

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
When I was a kid, we'd use it for weed control. We had a place out by the barn where we'd dump was was left.

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Any brand of drain pan, then I put it in a 5 gallon container. I live in a town where every 1st Saturday of the month I can bring it to the town transfer station. They have a big 500 gallon tank that a private company recycles. It's part of my town taxes

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exactly what I use, works great! I just buy synthetic oil in 5qt jug from local auto parts, drain old oil into empty 5qt jug saved from last oil change, keep new empty 5qt jug for next oil change, drop off old oil at auto parts and while there, buy new 5qt jug for next oil change. (Saves having to go to auto parts store twice)
If you save the receipt and clean the outside of the jug really well, you can "return" it.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I have occasionally taken it to Autozone but it seems more times than not they won't accept it, because "our tank is full". Since my dad's shop bought a waste oil heater I've taken it up there. On a cold winter day they might burn 5 gallons, probably saves them at least $10 in natural gas cost.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
In my town they have a thing periodically where you can drop off used oil and they'll give you a new oil filter. Kinda neat I guess, never been.

I use a valvomax valve and dump it into a drain pain, which I then dump into the empty 5qt bottle of oil after I've poured the new oil into the jeep.

I've been meaning to get my hands on a spare bottle so I can stop having to use the oil pan. That would be nice. Less messy that way!