Sponsored

For Those Who Change Their Own Oil: what do you drain into? How do you dispose of it?

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
For those who change their own oil, what do you drain it into? How do you dispose of it?
Sponsored

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
You can buy an oil catch pan from AutoZone, and return the used oil to them for free. They will also take gear oil and atf.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
^^^ What they said. I’d add that having something like a large drip pan, drop cloth, sheet of plywood or whatever under the oil catch pan is a great idea because if you’re like most people you’re going to miss that pan sometimes.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Hearhear

I drain into a catch pan as pictured below.

I use the same catch pan for oil changes, transfer case and diff oil changes.

I pour the drained oil back into the container that the new oil I just used, came in.... Then, I
drop the containers off at a local, small garage.

Regardless of where you reside, you will find many small garages, full service gas stations, etc. that will gladly take you drained oil. They pour it in their used oil tank and they sell it to a company that buys/recycles used oil. They make $ off your used oil!

Also, many municipalities, have a place where you can drop off used oil. In some states, (i.e., in some Calif. locales), they even will take the used oil if left in a proper container in front of your weekly recycle container on recycle pickup day.

In some States they require a store like Auto Zone, that sells oil, to also take in/take back at no charge used oil.

Just check around, ask around your local area.. lots of guys/gals find it very easy to get rid of used oil.

Jeep Wrangler JL For Those Who Change Their Own Oil: what do you drain into? How do you dispose of it? mmm

Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I use a Fumoto valve in all of my vehicles. It vastly simplifies oil changes.

For gas engines that take 5 quarts or less I hook up a hose to the valve and drain directly into an empty oil jug. Zero mess that way.

For my diesels that take more to fill, I drain into a big catch can and then fill jugs from there.

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
I just go to the nearest coin operated car wash and park the drain plug over the floor drain. I have a fumoto valve so I just pop it open while I spray the Jeep down. Once I'm done I refill the oil and go on my way.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I have been using the pan below for over a decade. I drain it into a 5 gallon sample bottle and take it to AutoZone, WalMart, Advance Auto Parts, or O'Reilly's to recycle it when it is full.

Pan:

81bifoArByL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Sample Bottle:

67124p.jpg

OGPizzaBoy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I just go to the nearest coin operated car wash and park the drain plug over the floor drain. I have a fumoto valve so I just pop it open while I spray the Jeep down. Once I'm done I refill the oil and go on my way.
and here I was hesitant to post, I thought I was the only one.

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
I was going to post up my oil change today. LOL. Can just add it here I guess. As stated by others I use a 12 quart oil catch pan. I prefer the bigger container, less chance of missing, and I don't have to worry about taking it and draining it right away if I don't want. I can wait until the next time I am headed to the auto parts store to empty it. Another words I get 2 oil changes no matter which vehicle I am doing the oil change on. Yes, I know the container states it is a 12 quart pan but my Ram hemi holds 7 quarts and I have done 2 changes with no issue, it doesn't overflow or anything. So, obviously slightly bigger than 12 quarts.

The closest drop off for me is an Advanced Auto. As others have stated they will let you drop for free.

Anyway, now for my post for the Hurricane 2.0L owners. I always try to change my oil relatively soon after I purchase a new vehicle. In my experience most dealerships just put conventional oil in when you take delivery. Which I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with conventional oil, except that I believe you should change it more often. I personally like to use full synthetic, especially in a Turbocharged engine, mostly because of the extra heat sometimes and because the oil is going through the Turbo bearings, so I just prefer it.

So last night I dumped the oil and put in fresh full synthetic. (With a new filter of course) I do want to add that with the 2.0L there really isn't any issue with oil getting all over or anything. There is NOTHING! in the way, straight shot from the oil drain hole, and the filter right into the pan. Only three drops got on the garage floor because the oil came out, hit the pan and splattered a little. Filter as well, straight shot ZERO! mess. Love it!

So, if we 2.0L guys are being honest, yes the 2.0L is a little noisy. I have no clue if it is just in the Wrangler or in all applications. So I was also curious is full synthetic would quiet things down a bit.

I can't speak for every one, but I noticed an Immediate diff. right after the oil change when the engine was still a little warm and again this morning on cold start up there was a significate difference in how clattery the 122 CI engine was. Once fully warmed up, very smooth and quiet.

But noticeable difference with the full synthetic oil.
Sponsored