Sponsored

For Those Who Change Their Own Oil: what do you drain into? How do you dispose of it?

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Yep. Effective air filtration can affect oil quality
It has an even bigger effect on ring wear.
My father was in the auto repair business for over 60 years. He told me a story from long ago- we had a local grain elevator that used a small tractor for various things, moving grain around there was a lot of dust. They had rebuilt the engine and not long afterwards they were running it around the place with the air cleaner removed. At the end of the day the rings were shot.
Sponsored

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
A college professor of mine never changed the oil in his Astro van, which was purchased new. He then wondered why a rod left the block at ~50K miles.

And his vote counts just as much as mine does. 😐
TBH - it was probably because the rod simply could not go on living life as part of an Astro van and simply wanted to end it.

On the other hand, I've seen a SBC making 700hp lose an oil pump on the 2nd-to-last lap of a 1.7 mile course. Driver decided to keep going. Won the race, pulled into the pits and killed the ignition. Loaded the car, got it back to the shop, and upon teardown discovered that all the engine needed was a bore honing (though even then he couldn't be certain that the scoring was from the past race, or before that).

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On the other hand, I've seen a SBC making 700hp lose an oil pump on the 2nd-to-last lap of a 1.7 mile course. Driver decided to keep going. Won the race, pulled into the pits and killed the ignition. Loaded the car, got it back to the shop, and upon teardown discovered that all the engine needed was a bore honing (though even then he couldn't be certain that the scoring was from the past race, or before that).
There are, or used to be, various companies that made engine treatments and would go around the country with a V8 engine on a stand. They would have the engine running and drain out the oil right before your eyes and show how the engine kept running with no damage. I always assumed it was a parlor trick and there was somehow some other lubrication in there. An engine that is just idling doesn't have much load on the components so there might be other ways to do it such as some special coatings on the pistons and bearings. The only thing you can't fake is cooling of the pistons, most engines rely on the oil to do that, but then just idling maybe an engine could run for a reasonable time before having problems.

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
I have yet to find an auto parts store or gas station in northern Califorina that will take the waste oil. So, I save it in the container from the new oil like others have said then use it to paint the wooden fence and deck. And sometimes for when I want to "blue" a piece of steel.
Maybe you can recycle it at a Jiffy Lube type place

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Dust can get past the air filter. Not much, but it happens.
Yes, because the engine air filter, is not 100% absolute. Just another good reason to change your engine oil.

Sponsored

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
There are, or used to be, various companies that made engine treatments and would go around the country with a V8 engine on a stand. They would have the engine running and drain out the oil right before your eyes and show how the engine kept running with no damage. I always assumed it was a parlor trick and there was somehow some other lubrication in there. An engine that is just idling doesn't have much load on the components so there might be other ways to do it such as some special coatings on the pistons and bearings. The only thing you can't fake is cooling of the pistons, most engines rely on the oil to do that, but then just idling maybe an engine could run for a reasonable time before having problems.
Yeah and idling engine won't really be too bad for a while. It's really only making enough power to keep the mass of the crank and pistons (and a few other things) rotating. If you've ever turned over an engine by hand, it's not that hard. Now, it IS a little harder, because the engine will be compressing air each stroke (usually the plugs are out when you turn it by hand), but it's still not generating a LOT of heat.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah and idling engine won't really be too bad for a while. It's really only making enough power to keep the mass of the crank and pistons (and a few other things) rotating. If you've ever turned over an engine by hand, it's not that hard. Now, it IS a little harder, because the engine will be compressing air each stroke (usually the plugs are out when you turn it by hand), but it's still not generating a LOT of heat.
I estimate that I've built around 40 engines and a new V8 requires a good amount of torque to rotate. However I assumed these trick engines were built with some tricks to allow them to rotate with less friction. Less friction means less requirement for oil.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I estimate that I've built around 40 engines and a new V8 requires a good amount of torque to rotate. However I assumed these trick engines were built with some tricks to allow them to rotate with less friction. Less friction means less requirement for oil.
Yeah, I kinda meant "not a lot" in a mechanical sense. For a person, yeah, you gotta get some muscle and leverage behind it. But, we're pretty puny compared to machines.

Evidenced by the multitude of busted knuckles using a cordless drill to zip nuts on quickly, then it rips out of my hand because I forgot to take it off the highest torque setting. hahaha!!!

Ostranza

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I use a Fumoto valve in all of my vehicles. It vastly simplifies oil changes.

For gas engines that take 5 quarts or less I hook up a hose to the valve and drain directly into an empty oil jug. Zero mess that way.

For my diesels that take more to fill, I drain into a big catch can and then fill jugs from there.
Just found out about these last night and ordered one for the jeep and the truck. Weird to be so excited about this little gadget.
Sponsored