Sponsored

for those who ask about comfort on long trips

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
My wife and I just got back from a 2200 mile trip to Colorado in my stock JLU Sport. The Jeep drove well and was comfortable on the trip. It is very stable on the highway (except for areas with high wind). There is a little bit of wind noise but we could still talk back and forth and listen to the radio. Yesterday we drove the last part of the trip straight back, 770 miles, 20mpg on interstates and state roads with 75mph speed limits. For part of the trip my wife rode in the back seat and on bumpy roads she said it was not comfortable, but not a problem on interstates. My wife may resist making this trip again in the Jeep but I'm happy to and actually I did make the same trip alone back in June.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I have a JLUR and have driven from Houston to Big Sky, MT with no comfort issues and on the way back we drove from Colorado Springs to Houston and it was fine.

Did a similar trip in a rented 2019 JLUS about 2 months before buying my JLUR (it was what convinced me that I really wanted a Jeep) with no issues.

I will be the first to admit to being pleasantly surprised at the comfort in a Jeep.

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
mines my "long trip" vehicle. other then the seat pushing into my right hip it does just fine for me.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have done 5000+ miles trips to go wheeling several time. With many back to back 12 and 16 hour days of travel. My wife and I think the Jeep is comfy. Heck getting ready to leave in an hour of so for 600 mile drive to wheel in Pennsylvania.

Reactions: VNT

Jboates

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I’ve owned four Jeeps and the JLUR is the most comfortable but all have been great actually. My wife and I flew down to FL from VA and drove it back No issues; soft top reacts to high winds moreso than a hard top I imagine but it’s not bad at all.

rotlex

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1st Wrangler here - 2020 JLU. I guess I don't know what older ones are like, but honestly, it is one of the more comfortable vehicles I have driven. Great seats\support etc. The longest trip I've done yet is 400 miles, but honestly, other than our Minivan, which is like a living room couch, the Jeep gives me nothing to complain about!

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
I have done 5000+ miles trips to go wheeling several time. With many back to back 12 and 16 hour days of travel. My wife and I think the Jeep is comfy. Heck getting ready to leave in an hour of so for 600 mile drive to wheel in Pennsylvania.
Where are you going to wheel in my state?

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
My wife wanted a Wrangler, I wanted a Grand Cherokee. I wanted the GC mainly because I want to take road trips when I retire in a year. We rented a Wrangler for a road trip to the Grand Canyon, and I decided that a JLU would be plenty fine for a long road trip, and more fun to drive.

We ordered her JL last week, and I will be getting my JLU in one year.

Sponsored

OP
OP

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My wife wanted a Wrangler, I wanted a Grand Cherokee. I wanted the GC mainly because I want to take road trips when I retire in a year. We rented a Wrangler for a road trip to the Grand Canyon, and I decided that a JLU would be plenty fine for a long road trip, and more fun to drive.

We ordered her JL last week, and I will be getting my JLU in one year.
The WK2 is very capable, can be much less expensive, and probably pretty close to the JLU Sport for most of my intended use, but one deciding factor for me was that even though I could lift a WK2 and put 32" tires on it, it is harder to do that than it is with a JLU Sport. If I had gotten a WK2 I would have always been asking myself if it was the right decision. Plus if you want more you can pony up the additional 4 figures and get the Rubicon.

I bought a used JLU Sport, cost at least $5-6k more than the used WK2 Limited I was looking at. I would have spent another $2k on lift and new tires for the WK2, I spent another $500 for Rubicon takeoffs for my JLU Sport. That reduces the price gap a little bit. Who knows the future but in the past 5 years the Wranglers have held their used value very well.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
It’s the hard top on and light winds my JLUR is surprisingly comfortable on the highway. With the soft top, wind, and the additional traffic noise the soft top allows in, it’s pretty tiring on long drives.

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
I find mine to be fairly comfy, taken it on a several 500 mile-each way trips. I added a dead pedal which helped immensely. Seats are ok. Not going to lie, it's not like driving a Suburban or Expedition or something, but it's not supposed to be.

I would NOT want to be sitting in the backseat of a JLUR on a long trip though.

In 50-60mph crosswinds, I felt like I was going to die from being blown into oncoming traffic, or die from the mini heart attacks I had every time Mother Nature decided to shift my Jeep over about 5 feet. On less windy trips, it's just fine.

I found that dropping down from highway speeds to about 55mph helped with that. Much to the consternation of my fellow highway travelers.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Where are you going to wheel in my state?
Just seen this. I was at Rausch Creek.

Will be leaving Michigan in a few weeks to wheel in Georgia, Alabama, and Florida. It will be over 3000 miles by the time I get home.

OP
OP

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I find mine to be fairly comfy, taken it on a several 500 mile-each way trips. I added a dead pedal which helped immensely. Seats are ok. Not going to lie, it's not like driving a Suburban or Expedition or something, but it's not supposed to be.

I would NOT want to be sitting in the backseat of a JLUR on a long trip though.
I made 3 long road trips in 2020 in my JLU Sport- about 1800 miles each. As a driver I have no problem with the comfort. We did a long day trip from southern Denver through Rocky Mountain National Park and back through Gramby. My wife was in the back seat and later said that it was fairly rough. On the way back home I rode in the back seat for a long stretch and it didn't bother me. I was even reading a book for much of that time. So back seat comfort may depend on the person and the road, but the back seat is closer to the rear axle so will feel bumps in the road more than the front seats.
Sponsored