Sponsored

For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first??

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I think he was talking about the control arm skid plates that you also bolt the shocks to, but ??
Yep, reading failed me.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I’d say oil pan skid as well..

Careful with rear diff skids. Looks like some mount in a way to prevent movement but my metal cloak bent up/ forward and broke my pinion seal by bending the steel dust seal. You can see it in one of the pics. Nice half circle of it spinning.

Why it bent? Maybe hit a few times, very hard in a certain direction. Bolts loosened and bam it was tweaked enough to move.

Evo skid is also bent to the point I can’t use it anymore. Hits exhaust.

B73E7097-61F9-476E-9D22-4B3005A875B4.jpeg

B7CBDD5F-B9BB-4D51-A6D8-10081B0C1CC6.jpeg

81823FB0-FFC6-48CC-975A-EED52D60F976.jpeg

6EAE05C9-659A-48C7-A8ED-426815E81850.jpeg

79106CB3-FE69-4E7F-94F7-94AE2ABDC9D5.jpeg

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Careful with rear diff skids. Looks like some mount in a way to prevent movement but my metal cloak bent up/ forward and broke my pinion seal by bending the steel dust seal. You can see it in one of the pics. Nice half circle of it spinning.

Why it bent? Maybe hit a few times, very hard in a certain direction. Bolts loosened and bam it was tweaked enough to move.

Damn!
What do your sliders look like :)

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Damn!
What do your sliders look like :)
Surprisingly not bad! They are the JCR’s. I really noticed once I took the diff skid off I hit it a lot less. One by me being more careful haha and two the height not being as low.

Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
I have the MORE skids. They are great! I would recommend the MetalCloak rear diff skid too! Oh, and the rear shock/control arm skids from Rancho. Check out my build thread below to see all of these skids installed! :)
Do you have the full MORE skid system? I’ve been eyeing the oil pan/transmission skid to start since we don’t have an OEM skid there but want to make sure it’ll fit with all the OEM skids (not in the budget to swap those out yet). When I asked Quadratec, they said it wouldn’t work with the OEMs?

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR

Jeep Wrangler JL For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first?? 79106CB3-FE69-4E7F-94F7-94AE2ABDC9D5

Jeep Wrangler JL For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first?? 79106CB3-FE69-4E7F-94F7-94AE2ABDC9D5

You definitely got your moneys worth out of those!

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Do you have the full MORE skid system? I’ve been eyeing the oil pan/transmission skid to start since we don’t have an OEM skid there but want to make sure it’ll fit with all the OEM skids (not in the budget to swap those out yet). When I asked Quadratec, they said it wouldn’t work with the OEMs?
Might look into the ASFIR skid, it retains that front cross bar, is aluminum, and is like $300 shipped IIRC.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Might look into the ASFIR skid, it retains that front cross bar, is aluminum, and is like $300 shipped IIRC.
Thanks for the lead, I’ll see if I can find any reviews for it.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I’ve not even scraped it yet. It’s assuring though fwiw. Kind of a pain and messy during the oil change. I ground out the far length 1/2” but when it’s almost done draining and just dripping, it hits the skid and runs down the entire length. I am cautious to hit that end with the carbide burr because the pan is less than an inch away. I may just form a lip around that area on top of the skid with a rolled up 1/4” rope of steel putty and essentially make a dam to prevent that.

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner

Wow, that is some serious wheelin over rocks.

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
I do have their full setup. They do work with the OEM skids..........I don't remember removing anything. But if I did, it was replaced by the MORE skid. But again, I'm 99% sure I didn't remove anything (the instructions would confirm). The only issue I have with the oil/trans skid is that the hole for draining the oil isn't placed well. If you do not use a fumoto drain valve, or do not drain the oil slower by using the plug to control the flow, at full drain pressure, the oil can drain onto the top of the skid. Other than that issue, their skids are very solid! It's great that you can purchase them one by one. I also added the Rancho front diff slider, rear lower control arm/shock mount skids, MetalCloak FAD skid and rear diff slider skid.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Got my DIY 2dr skid plates back from the machine shop, should have them welded, test mounted, then painted in the next week or two, heavy SOBs I must say :)

Had a good run of cardboard mock-ups since the price of steel is crazy now, no room for f-ups :(

Jeep Wrangler JL For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first?? IMG_0576.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first?? IMG_0577.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first?? IMG_0578.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first?? IMG_0579.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first?? IMG_0580.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first?? IMG_0581.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first?? IMG_0582.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first?? IMG_0583.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first?? IMG_0584.JPG

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Had a good run of cardboard mock-ups since the price of steel is crazy now, no room for f-ups :(

Jeep Wrangler JL For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first?? IMG_0584.JPG
genius and respect the creativity that went into this. Was the cost comparable to name brand or did you achieve savings by DYI of the template and outsourcing the welding?
Sponsored