Sponsored

For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first??

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
I think they concentrate on 4 door stuff because 2 doors are not as common.
Sponsored

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I think they concentrate on 4 door stuff because 2 doors are not as common.
Yep, not as much love for us shorties :(
And not as much metal to skid on :)

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Got the RC diff skids installed, must say I'm 100% satisfied w/ the fit & function of these plates. No bending, prying or hard time trying to get everything lined up. All the cover bolts lined up perfectly, the retention hanger in the back of the plates secured the skids nice & tight, and the drain hole F&R also lined up just right!

I measured a before & after~ the lowest point at front diff was 11.25" from the ground, the lowest point on the skid was 10.5" so a 3/4" drop in clearance in front. The rear was 10.75" before and 10.25" after the skid was installed for a 1/2" loss in clearance, not bad at all :)

There is nice coverage over the rear driveshaft to pinion mount too. I used a floor jack to get the rear skid lined up as it is pretty heavy and wanted to make sure I had all 4 of those bolt hole lined up, worked out well. Only concern is if it's still ok to jack it up under the rear skid now, this thing is solid as a rock but being mounted to those 4 diff cover bolts I'm not 100% sure???

Jeep Wrangler JL For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first?? IMG_0522.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first?? IMG_0524.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first?? IMG_0525.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first?? IMG_0526.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first?? IMG_0527.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first?? IMG_0528.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

HellaJL2817

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport
Got the RC diff skids installed, must say I'm 100% satisfied w/ the fit & function of these plates. No bending, prying or hard time trying to get everything lined up. All the cover bolts lined up perfectly, the retention hanger in the back of the plates secured the skids nice & tight, and the drain hole F&R also lined up just right!

I measured a before & after~ the lowest point at front diff was 11.25" from the ground, the lowest point on the skid was 10.5" so a 3/4" drop in clearance in front. The rear was 10.75" before and 10.25" after the skid was installed for a 1/2" loss in clearance, not bad at all :)

There is nice coverage over the rear driveshaft to pinion mount too. I used a floor jack to get the rear skid lined up as it is pretty heavy and wanted to make sure I had all 4 of those bolt hole lined up, worked out well. Only concern is if it's still ok to jack it up under the rear skid now, this thing is solid as a rock but being mounted to those 4 diff cover bolts I'm not 100% sure???

Jeep Wrangler JL For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first?? IMG_0528.JPG
Looks great. 👍

HellaJL2817

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport
Matt, did you have any problems w/ that rear bolt? In this thread a spacer was needed to get a tight mount, and one of the rear mount tabs ended up breaking off. Just wondering if Westin has corrected this issue.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...l-pan-skid-plate-42-21095.31330/#post-1165300
I did have to use spacer. They gave extra hardware with package. I used the spacer and it aligned perfectly. It was a bit difficult to align the bolt at first. Once you got one in. The weight was supported and then in went smoothly. I see no issues with it since then. I have been light off-roading in pa and it still Is intact. I saw the one review where it cracked too. I think it was a fluke. I’m happy with mine. Hope this helps. 👍

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I did have to use spacer. They gave extra hardware with package. I used the spacer and it aligned perfectly. It was a bit difficult to align the bolt at first. Once you got one in. The weight was supported and then in went smoothly. I see no issues with it since then. I have been light off-roading in pa and it still Is intact. I saw the one review where it cracked too. I think it was a fluke. I’m happy with mine. Hope this helps. 👍
Glad to hear it's working out, hopefully the current spacer(s) included eliminate that issue.

JLUStringray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara

Looks great! You getting any clanking with these when driving?

Sponsored

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I have the rancho front diff skid and will be installing RC rear shocks/control arms skids this week. The rest I am gonna gamble on it. I think the front diff skid is a most, I took a hit on it this weekend. Happens when you least expect it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have the rancho front diff skid and will be installing RC rear shocks/control arms this week. The rest I am gonna gamble on it. I think the front diff skid is a most, I took a hit on it this weekend. Happens when you least expect it.
Got a set I'm fabricating, should be back from the shop that has a monster steel brake later this week, and should have them welded up & fitted soon! Going w/ a oil/trans, full belly, exhaust loop, exhaust midpipe/resonator, and front gas tank plate (gonna keep the rear section stock for now).

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I have the rancho front diff skid and will be installing RC rear shocks/control arms this week. The rest I am gonna gamble on it. I think the front diff skid is a most, I took a hit on it this weekend. Happens when you least expect it.
Good luck with those shocks and control arms. The one thing that RC is good for is sending out quick replacements when you blow out the shocks or the control arm bushings weaken and fail (although the latter will be on your dime).

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Good luck with those shocks and control arms. The one thing that RC is good for is sending out quick replacements when you blow out the shocks or the control arm bushings weaken and fail (although the latter will be on your dime).
I think he was talking about the control arm skid plates that you also bolt the shocks to, but ??
Sponsored