Sponsored

For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first??

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed the Metalcloak Undercloak armor and it is very nice system. The fit and finish are excellent, absolutely no issues with the install, and covers all the under body vitals. It is pretty heavy though!

I initially was going with the Artec aluminum skid. But after looking at it and comparing to the Metalcloak, I was not a fan of how the Artec eTorque battery skid left a gap between it and the transfer case skid. I wanted a reasonably flat bottom where a rock couldn't get caught.
Sponsored

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
When looking at various skid plate options I came across these Westin parts. Seems a bit counterproductive IMO putting large holes throughout the skid plates. I know they state it's to keep it lighter weight and provide airflow but it's also not complete protection. Strange things happen on the trail and bouncing on jagged rocks, sliding over rocks, water crossings w/ rocks and tree roots, etc. Seems like you could snag something w/ those holes in the plate, have just the perfect pointed rock smack into the unprotected areas, and whatever else. Pretty easy to snag the bolts too I'm thinking.

Would be similar to a bullet proof vest w/ holes in it to keep weight down :headbang:

Jeep Wrangler JL For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first?? westin skid plates

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
When looking at various skid plate options I came across these Westin parts. Seems a bit counterproductive IMO putting large holes throughout the skid plates. I know they state it's to keep it lighter weight and provide airflow but it's also not complete protection. Strange things happen on the trail and bouncing on jagged rocks, sliding over rocks, water crossings w/ rocks and tree roots, etc. Seems like you could snag something w/ those holes in the plate, have just the perfect pointed rock smack into the unprotected areas, and whatever else. Pretty easy to snag the bolts too I'm thinking.

Would be similar to a bullet proof vest w/ holes in it to keep weight down :headbang:

Jeep Wrangler JL For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first?? westin skid plates
I agree, I don't like the holes and the gap between the engine and transmission skid plate. A rock or more likely a branch, log, etc. can easily get kicked up and take out the tranny cooler lines. A skid plate system is not the place to skimp on protection.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I think the exposed fasteners concern me more than the cutouts. It’s highly likely that some of them will get damaged and be difficult to remove.

I considered these for a bit before I found a good deal on the Artec ones I ended up with. They may not be as heavy duty as some are, but they are modular and you can integrate them a piece at a time.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrat...n-and-transfer-case-skid-plates-jeep-wrangler
Jeep Wrangler JL For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first?? e-tranfer-case-skid-plate-kit-jl-12500%200280-main

JeepJLU402

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S - V6 8AT - 30/44
I had the same problem. I did t want to do full skids because my experience has been that all the hard hits when wheeling with my Dad in his Tacoma have been about 1 foot behind the front wheels. I ended up buying an engine/trans skid for up front. I think the other factory skids are good enough for my needs.
I wish some of the companies that have full skids would let you buy just parts of they system. A lot of them you have to do full skid or nothing.

Sponsored

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah, I can't hit the high odds when it come to the lottery but I bet I could have that perfect hit to the differential plug, the rear Dana 35 also has a pretty vulnerable bottom mount plug too :(

I'm really leaning toward the M.O.R.E. engine/trans skid, the transfer case skid and would add the F&R Diff skids.

I know Rough Country can be hit or miss, but these look pretty decent for my limited budget and made from 1/4" plate, thoughts?
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/skid-plates/10623-rough-country-m186-front-diff-skid-plate
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/skid-plates/10624-rough-country-m200-rear-diff-skid-plate

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Yeah, I can't hit the high odds when it come to the lottery but I bet I could have that perfect hit to the differential plug, the rear Dana 35 also has a pretty vulnerable bottom mount plug too :(

I'm really leaning toward the M.O.R.E. engine/trans skid, the transfer case skid and would add the F&R Diff skids.

I know Rough Country can be hit or miss, but these look pretty decent for my limited budget and made from 1/4" plate, thoughts?
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/skid-plates/10623-rough-country-m186-front-diff-skid-plate
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/skid-plates/10624-rough-country-m200-rear-diff-skid-plate
That’s the first M200 skid I’ve seen. Without modification, it looks like it won’t work with my seemingly cast OX locker diff cover. The bolt heads are recessed.

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager

I have the MORE skids. They are great! I would recommend the MetalCloak rear diff skid too! Oh, and the rear shock/control arm skids from Rancho. Check out my build thread below to see all of these skids installed! :)

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I have the Rancho front diff cover and the MC rear. I also have the complete MC underarmor for the diesel. So far it's been great.
Jeep Wrangler JL For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first?? 20201107_095516
Jeep Wrangler JL For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first?? 20201107_095446
Jeep Wrangler JL For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first?? 20201003_105941
Jeep Wrangler JL For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first?? 20201003_105855

Sponsored

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I think the exposed fasteners concern me more than the cutouts. It’s highly likely that some of them will get damaged and be difficult to remove.

I considered these for a bit before I found a good deal on the Artec ones I ended up with. They may not be as heavy duty as some are, but they are modular and you can integrate them a piece at a time.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrat...n-and-transfer-case-skid-plates-jeep-wrangler
e-tranfer-case-skid-plate-kit-jl-12500%200280-main.jpg
Have you "tested" these? I keep looking at them...

Forget it, I see you didn't end up with them. Like the artec?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link

Love the Artec. Only wheeled with them once though, nothing tough. A small scrape or two.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I recommend the oil pan. you never know when something pops up or you come down hard on a rock that could damage or pierce it.

Jeep Wrangler JL For those skid-plate experts, most critical section that needs armor first?? 20201003_105855
I bought the Quadratec skid plates because it was aluminum and modular. When I did my first oil change I noticed how vulnerable the oil pan looked to me. I knew I wanted to protect it. Quadratec was having a good deal so I got the engine/tranny, transfer case and fuel tank skid plates. I still need to get diff skid plates. I have used those skid plates and am glad I got them. The Quadratec skids replace the factory skid and include massively overbuilt cross beams that are used to tie into. I have no concerns of when I am on the skids.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed

The dimples in the Quadratec actually give them more strength, while protecting the bolt heads. I chose the exposed bolts that are recessed over countersunk as I think they will be easier to replace if damaged. Sliding on countersunk screws and damaging them will be far more work to remove. Just my opinion. The Artec solution is elegant though and I like that you get a bit more ground clearance.

The great thing about Jeeps is that we have plenty of options.
Sponsored