Sponsored

For those of you who had "MILES" on your new JP. Did you also have one of these on the window?

Marlon_JB2

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR, 2014 Dodge Dart GT
Occupation
Jeep Builder
My original order had a "100% Certified" sticker (TRIGO) on the steering wheel. You could tell it had been tested at the factory. Very honest dealer and they do not allow any test drives on ordered vehicles. Never checked the mileage because it was not mine anymore.
IMG_6335.JPG
IMG_6332.JPG
That's a parts inspection sticker, sir. Airbags only. There may have been some quality issues with the airbags noticed by us and some people from that company came in to inspect the airbags.
Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Love poking the bear, and clearly you folks love to be poked. No I was never a salesman, a service writer yes, and you babies love to be poked and poked hard. The ones that freak over extra miles are the same ones that would be slurping up any snake oil I served up.
shut up and sell us some oil!!!!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
You sound like a car salesman. I'd be pissed over 30 miles but only because the dealership used it as a test drive model which means they made me wait to pick it up so they could use it as a sales tool. I'll bet there's not a "no big deal" response at a dealership if you turn a lease vehicle in with 30 miles over the limit.
If dealer test drive miles bother you, then you'd be onboard with charging for test drives to recoup the "diminished value"? So, lets say you think your 30 miles is worth $1000 off the sticker. That's $33 /mile. You'd be willing to pay $33/mile to drive a vehicle?

This reminds me of a similar controversy we had about when the accumulation of operating hours started on a new airplane, as it pertained to compliance to a airworthiness directive (AD) from the FAA, because they are most often specified to do something to the airplane based on hours flown. McDonnell Douglas recorded hours from the first time the airplane flew in production flight test. So, the new airplane got delivered with a dozen or two official flight hours, sometimes much more. Boeing's policy was based on when the airplane transferred title. No flight hours were on record of a "new" airplane when the owner took delivery, even if the airplane had flown 100 hours testing new options or sorting out a problem.

It'd be very easy for makers/dealers to activate or reset the odometer upon sale. That would solve the mileage issue. As to the legality of that, I'm sure you could make a whole new thread on the subject. But, laws can change, especially if you have lobbyists.

Here's an article by Car and Driver on the subject. https://www.caranddriver.com/research/a31543493/how-many-miles-should-a-new-car-have/

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR, 2014 Dodge Dart GT
Occupation
Jeep Builder

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I've never seen a dealer of anything allowing a "sold" item get handled by other customers. These indignant conspiracy reactions are kind of funny.
The Jeep dealer from whom I purchased my new YJ did in fact allow that to occur. I discovered this after the fact. When I confronted the salesman about it, he confirmed that it was a "case-by-case policy".

I've never used Google Reviews, and Yelp appears to be a weapon for stupid people. Had such things been available in 1994/5, though, I'd have been tempted to call attention to my experience with the aforementioned "policy".

My dealings with that dealer, and ownership of the lemon YJ, are long since in the rearview mirror.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Oh no! Mine had only 10 miles and wasn't given a quality check ride!
Should I be concerned?

20210329_180205.jpg
You bought a FCA vehicle...be concerned. LOL

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I really don't care much whether someone drove my vehicle. Hell, I've tossed the keys to a friend who owns a 4x4 shop and he drove it for a week back and forth to work. I offered it to a neighbor for however long she needed it, after her car was vandlized. My brother-in-law drove it for a week while visiting from back east, twice. It's a vehicle, not my family jewels. Someday, it'll either end up with a second owner or be reincarnated as a KIA. The cool is in the use, not the preservation. It's not an original Van Gogh.

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
My 2018 JL had the Quality Check sticker and about 40 miles on it when purchased. I felt privileged to be chosen for the extra quality checks. 27 months and 16000 miles later, no problems encountered.

During my pre-delivery inspection at the dealership, first thing I did was pop the hood and check for loose fuses. And guess what? All fuses were tight and installed properly.

Sponsored