Sponsored

(for those living in snow only): how often do you take your rig to the car wash in the winter?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
That is a sweet snow blower.
Thank you. It's as well-equipped as my Sport is spartan.

Variable hydrostatic drive forward & reverse
Individual clutch disconnects for de-facto power steering on turns
Remote electric chute rotation and discharge elevation control
Pneumatic-assist auger intake height adjustment
Onboard self-charging 12V keyed electric start (me likey that feature)
Bright LED headlight
Polymer skid shoes (gentler on concrete)
Accurate fuel gauge
Hour meter
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
SO your saying that when it is 12 degrees below zero, you pull out a bucket and hand wash your vehicles. Hows that work out?
Two shots of tequila before stepping outside, and one shot in the bucket to break the ice... :LOL:

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
I wash my jeep and pickup every time I scrub and wax my gravel driveway.

Moreace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
How do you use you washers in the winter? I have outside spickets off to avoid freeze.

Also have the SOT, so no car washes. I donā€™t see any option for undercarriage only at any car wash. That would be a helpful option.

Assume the undercarriage just gets salted again on the drive home.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
How do you use you washers in the winter? I have outside spickets off to avoid freeze.

Also have the SOT, so no car washes. I donā€™t see any option for undercarriage only at any car wash. home.
A bucket filled with sudsy hot water for washing, and a bug sponge for faster cleaning. A hose & garden nozzle for rinsing. Granted, the hose bib is inside the attached garage. This also allows me to use the pressure washer, with a pivoting QD tip, for cleaning [just] the underside of the vehicles as needs require.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i havent taken my jl to the car wash since i got it in may 2019. i let the rain take care of the jl. tho i've wanted to take it over to the self wash bay and do a quick wash. if anything just to get the salt off. however, i just cant get a break in the weather to make it worth while. i hate the idea of getting it wash just to have the salt layed down again for the upcoming snow. i'm going to try to do a good wash job in my driveway when warmer weather comes. that was something i was going to do, but this spring / summer weather was a rainy one.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
one question tho. arent the car washes not jeep wrangler friendly.

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I went through a Chevron car wash and it ripped the front of my rear flare off. I had to pull it the rest of the way off and replace some of the clips. I can't say for sure if it was my error (being to close on that side) or not but I haven't tried it again since it happened.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
they certainly suck getting the tailgate area behind the rear tire. Havenā€™t had any problems outside of that. Been taking my jeeps through car washes weekly for over 10 years. Soft top about half the year too. The one I go to is not a touchless. I would prefer touchless, but the one I go to is across the street from my office so super convenient.

Actually, it does try to rip my front license plate off, but rock crawling tries to do the same thing anyway. Itā€™s just secured at the top and extends away from my front bumper. Other mounts could do better

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
they certainly suck getting the tailgate area behind the rear tire. Havenā€™t had any problems outside of that. Been taking my jeeps through car washes weekly for over 10 years. Soft top about half the year too. The one I go to is not a touchless. I would prefer touchless, but the one I go to is across the street from my office so super convenient.

Actually, it does try to rip my front license plate off, but rock crawling tries to do the same thing anyway. Itā€™s just secured at the top and extends away from my front bumper. Other mounts could do better
i can see that certian areas on the jl will be missed. the one carwash by me is not all that great. i've taken one of my past ride thru it a couple of times and all i did was pay for a shitty wash. plus it was taking the clearcoat off in a couple of spots. if anything i would try out the self serve wash bay. will have to see since its gone thru multiple new ownership. so things might not be all that great. most likely, i'll end up waiting for warmer weather and do it in my driveway.

Sponsored

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I've heard that you shouldn't wash your vehicle in the winter as you reactivate the salts in your undercarriage

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Iā€™ve never understood peopleā€™s fear of a car wash. I do this with all my cars whether it be a Jeep or a Jag.
Same here. If for nothing else, it gets the salt off the undercarriage. Washing any of my vehicles in my driveway in the middle of winter when it's 30 degrees outside would not be my first choice for cleaning it.

OP
OP
631_Islander

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
I've heard that you shouldn't wash your vehicle in the winter as you reactivate the salts in your undercarriage
Never heard of that. If anything, the jets of water pointed at the under carriage will wash away the road salt.

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
I use the one at the Jeep dealer where we bought the JL. I remove the antenna (learned that the hard way) and they have an attendant who soaps up the tailgate area. It does a pretty good job, and it's complimentary, at least for now.

Best,
-Tim

OP
OP
631_Islander

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
I use the one at the Jeep dealer where we bought the JL. I remove the antenna (learned that the hard way) and they have an attendant who soaps up the tailgate area. It does a pretty good job, and it's complimentary, at least for now.

Best,
-Tim
I never took my antenna off. Sure it wobbles around a lot in the car wash but so far has not broken off, lol.
Sponsored