Sponsored

(for those living in snow only): how often do you take your rig to the car wash in the winter?

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
We have car wash "subscriptions" so they go in as soon as the sky clears and temps climb to about 40+. We like to get the salt off quickly.
Spraying your vehicle off, especially the hard to get areas like hinges etc will go a long way to prevent pitting and rust.
Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
It really depends on the weather. I won't wash it during a cold spell, or if we are continously getting snow as they are just going to salt the roads more anyway.

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Salt + Soft-top = Bad news, especially since Mopar only sells the tan 2-door soft-top when you purchase the Jeep. I have not been able to track down a tan replacement. Wash at least every month and apply soft-top protector as needed.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Got our first significant snow here on Long Island this week (4 to 8 inches depending on where you live here). They absolutely love using snow salt in NYC and Long Island!

Needless to say, the Jeep is dirty due to all that salt. I was going to take it in to the car wash and get some cleaning done. Was especially going to get the underbody sprayed with water as I am a stickler when it comes to under carriage rust (I spray the underbody with cans of Fluid Film twice a year). Depending on how much snow we get this season, the Car Wash may become a monthly ritual for me and those folks might as well know me by name this winter.

For our other snow birds out there, how often do you take your Jeep to the Car Wash every Winter? Am I over doing it by making this a monthly thing? In the Summer, I take her to the car wash after every trip where she goes wheeling on the beach just to wash off the sand. That is usually once or twice the whole summer.
Everytime it gets above freezing. Use touch less wash with underbody sprays only

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
Never frequent car washes. On the rare days it gets above 40 degrees I hand wash it. Then I have to drain the hose to keep it from freezing solid which is a pain in the arse.

Sponsored

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
Every snow event is different, if its sloppy, or cold, or if you hit the Fastlane on salty roads or just drove slow so it didn't splash out into every little area it can get to. If I been on the salt roads I will wash it right away especially if the weekend is close and it can sit clean for a day or two. Never let it set coated in crap for a week or better no matter what the weather forecast is. Jmho

JLJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2021 2-Door
Occupation
Retired
I hate road salt with a passion!!!!
When we lived in Ohio it literally destroyed the frame on my 01 TJ and I used to go to the car wash on a regular basis - all to no avail.
I later found out what happened is I would wash my car then drive home, picking up more road salt along the way. The Jeep would then be placed in the garage - where the inside of the frame was slowly being eaten- a reaction from the salt, moisture and my nice warm garage.
To say I am anal about my 21 Rubicon would be an understatement. To answer the OP’s original question: I wash my baby probably once a week, especially when it snows.
They don’t use as much salt in Northern Nevada (where we now live) compared to the Midwest/East, but it’s still out there - and it’s insidious!!!! :)

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I negotiated free car washes for life from my dealer and they wash by hand. I only use it when its very cold and the roads have been brined and jeep is so dirty that my clothes get stained from touching it. I prefer to wash it by Hand myself, so maybe twice a month at the dealers Dec thru February...

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I have SW facing driveway so I hand wash mine whenever it's warm enough to do without creating ice on the sidewalk. And gotta be at least 3 days out from another predicted snowstorm or not worth the effort :). I will probably wash it today as next snow isn't until Wednesday at earliest and I like a clean car.

Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Have monthly pass to car wash and go as soon as roads dry up. At minimum once a week though. After wheeling in the summer/other, if it’s really dirty I may go 3-4 days in a row. The pass only allows 1x per day.

I’ve never understood people’s fear of a car wash. I do this with all my cars whether it be a Jeep or a Jag.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
For our other snow birds out there, how often do you take your Jeep to the Car Wash every Winter?
Not at all. I've the factory soft top on my JLUS, so automatic car washes of any configuration are verboten.

The frequency of hot water bucket washes in the southern-exposure driveway will depend on the forecast and the current filthiness (or not) of the vehicle. Hand washing is always better, anyway, and I've a blaster attachment for the undercarriage as may be needed. I will usually forgo drying the Jeep, though; we've a pretty decent water softener and water spots aren't excessive.

The most recent spa day, three days ago. Her little buddy got a bath also.

Jeep Wrangler JL (for those living in snow only): how often do you take your rig to the car wash in the winter? Wash day 17th Dec 2020

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Not at all. I've the factory soft top on my JLUS, so automatic car washes of any configuration are verboten.

The frequency of hot water bucket washes in the southern-exposure driveway will depend on the forecast and the current filthiness (or not) of the vehicle. Hand washing is always better, anyway, and I've a blaster attachment for the undercarriage as may be needed. I will usually forgo drying the Jeep, though; we've a pretty decent water softener and water spots aren't excessive.

The most recent spa day, three days ago. Her little buddy got a bath also.

Jeep Wrangler JL (for those living in snow only): how often do you take your rig to the car wash in the winter? Wash day 17th Dec 2020
That is a sweet snowblower.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
My vehicles never see the car wash.

The only baths they ever get are on my driveway.
SO your saying that when it is 12 degrees below zero, you pull out a bucket and hand wash your vehicles. Hows that work out?

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
I usually do not use car washes in the winter where I live. Many of our car washes filter and recycle the water run through their facilities and their filtering systems are not capable of eliminating the salt from the water so in the winter months our car washes are dowsing vehicles with salt water.​
Check with your car wash to see if they are using recycled water. If so, ask if their system filters out the salt. If they say yes, ask for proof.​
Sponsored