For those Installing the AUX after purchase or Running wiring into the Cabin

X99104

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR, 88 YJ, 78 CJ-7 304
I am hoping to get this as a sticky since I had to look in many locations to get info.
If you follow the MOPAR instructions they will have you push a sharp object through the grommet for your main wiring harness. If you are mechanically inclined and willing to spend a bit more time you can preserve the integrity of the grommet.

Instead of removing the rivets from the fender liner you can access where you need to go through by removing the battery box and Fuse center. I will admit it takes some time, but as most of you out there, I was hesitant about damaging my new money pit ummm I mean Jeep.

If you use the MOPAR procedure the lighter circle is what you get. By using the pass-through (heavy solid line) you get a cleaner install and less possibility of a water leak.
Snip off the rounded end off the pass-through.
Run wiring through.
Once you have fed your wires place a zip-tie close to the firewall side of the pass-through, pack with dielectric grease and then put a zip-tie on the end. This keeps everything water tight.

Thanks to OP of the thread below for taking the great photo I forgot to get.

Here a great link with the photos of what I am talking about and a great warning
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/don’t-use-passenger-side-grommet-to-get-wires-through-firewall.41004/#post-907746

256400-29e2a907e4fb4452361ab2c435f85f7c.jpg

(credit to the above post)

There is a great Video to remove the battery box and Fuse center here:

Passenger firewall grommet.jpg
Sponsored

sdecker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I’m installing a trailer harness and this seems like a much better approach than the way the install guide suggests. The linked posts says it took about 6 hours to get to that point so I’m trying to go at it from under the wheel well instead. I’ve managed to make a slice in the end of the port but am having trouble feeding the fish tape through; I can’t tell if it’s getting hung up on the interior wall because the angle or if there is another seal to break through. Is there anyone who has done this who can verify how many layers I need to poke through to feed through that port?

If they had just made two ports—one on top and one on bottom—this would be worlds easier.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
that looks like a dick.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

sdecker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Anyway, if anyone has used whatever that is to feed wires through and has some advice on how to do it or whether that’s feasible without removing the battery and fusebox that would be awesome.

sdecker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I got it—if you remove the fender it’s so much easier. The passenger footwell is so confined that I found it easier to do this and feed from the outside in than to feed a coat hanger from the inside out. I was able to reach up and snip the nipple off with a pair of side cutters. Then I taped a zip tie to the wire with some electrical tape, greased it with WD40, and used a pair of needle nose pliers to feed it in. Blindly retrieved it on the other side behind the glove box.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/wiring-through-firewall.68999/post-1451469

I did break a couple of the white clips that hold the fender on though, so I’ll have to order a few of those.
Sponsored