Sponsored

For those going with 37s, are you regearing??

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

after driving my sport on 35s and 37s (for about two weeks), on 4.88s, id say the work great for the 35s. they work for the 37s too of course but i think 5.13s would be even better. driving around town and on the freeway.
Sponsored

Hogzilla

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0 turbo
Just recently had mine regeared to 4.88. I have the 2.0T and although the 4.10 gears were decent after changing to the 4.88 they made a noticeable difference. Can you stay on 4.10 with 37s sure but I'm glad I changed to 4.88 because to me it is night and day difference when driving.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Just talked to someone who said the 5.13s broke out on a trail so i guess 4.88 is it. Its crazy how the pinion gets so much smaller lol

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Just talked to someone who said the 5.13s broke out on a trail so i guess 4.88 is it. Its crazy how the pinion gets so much smaller lol
Someone told me that went the 513s that it doesn't down shift at a certain speed as good. So the way to get it at the stock is the 488s

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
All 37s tires are NOT the same. There can be a 10 to 15 lbs different in weight for 37" tires x 5 , which can really affect performance plus the weight of each wheel. So it really depends on which 37" tire & wheel combo each Jeeper is installing when stating their performance. Weight combos matters when considering a regear.

Nitto tires are probably the heaviest tire in each size and BFGs are on opposite end with lighter tires. Both very good tires but one of them will need a regear more so than the other.

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
All 37s tires are NOT the same. There can be a 10 to 15 lbs different in weight for 37" tires x 5 , which can really affect performance plus the weight of each wheel. So it really depends on which 37" tire & wheel combo each Jeeper is installing when stating their performance. Weight combos matters when considering a regear.

Nitto tires are probably the heaviest tire in each size and BFGs are on opposite end with lighter tires. Both very good tires but one of them will need a regear more so than the other.
I'm so glad you brought this up sometimes in the same size are five to seven pounds heavier or lighter. Let's just say five that's like putting a 5 lb weight on your axle or your drum say times four times seven times four 28 lb it adds up. The toyo MTZ Open country I love that tire had them on trucks my diesels of course it didn't matter with the truck or diesel but on a Jeep they're heavier. Hell my F350 four wheel drive four-door dually powerstroke I had 37s with spacers in the rear and I had a 8-inch lift and ran super swamper SSRS. That tire was heavy but it didn't matter and I got so many compliments matter of fact here's a picture of it LOL. They hated rotating my tires but my friend was a manager at Discount Tire. I think that tire was like almost 90 pounds by itself in a 37 13.50

Jeep Wrangler JL For those going with 37s, are you regearing?? Screenshot_20170608-191819

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Re-geared to 5.13s (have a 3.6 auto) after maybe 3K miles on 37” KO2s. Highway driving was much smoother since it wasn’t dropping to 6th and 7th just with some mild inclines on the freeway. Just felt like the transmission was constantly hunting. Eventually, I switched to the STT Pros; since they’re a more aggressive tread and heavier, I love that the 5.13s get up and go (plus it’ll help once I get a rear bumper, tire carrier, and roof rack). I try to be mindful that my pinion is smaller when I wheel but this is also my only vehicle and I like the acceleration on the road.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Re-geared to 5.13s (have a 3.6 auto) after maybe 3K miles on 37” KO2s. Highway driving was much smoother since it wasn’t dropping to 6th and 7th just with some mild inclines on the freeway. Just felt like the transmission was constantly hunting. Eventually, I switched to the STT Pros; since they’re a more aggressive tread and heavier, I love that the 5.13s get up and go (plus it’ll help once I get a rear bumper, tire carrier, and roof rack). I try to be mindful that my pinion is smaller when I wheel but this is also my only vehicle and I like the acceleration on the road.
Was this a sport or a Rubicon?

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Sorry, forgot to mention that, I have a Rubicon.
I also have a Rubicon 2018. Every now and then I won't hit 8th gear but I just click it over to manual drive and then after I drive the next couple days it'll hit 8th year. Friend of mine at dealership said that the transmission has like a memory and it will do it on its own next time. Sounds weird but I watched it going to eat without me hit the manual drive and that's why he said I'm okay like it is I don't have an extra 1600 laying around just to do it I've got a daughter in college right now so it's definitely not on the top of my list to worry about. It's been hitting 8th lately

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I also have a Rubicon 2018. Every now and then I won't hit 8th gear but I just click it over to manual drive and then after I drive the next couple days it'll hit 8th year. Friend of mine at dealership said that the transmission has like a memory and it will do it on its own next time. Sounds weird but I watched it going to eat without me hit the manual drive and that's why he said I'm okay like it is I don't have an extra 1600 laying around just to do it I've got a daughter in college right now so it's definitely not on the top of my list to worry about. It's been hitting 8th lately
If you do a lot of road trips, and tend to drive 85mph+, you are better off with 4.10's in my opinion. When we are cruising 1,200 miles out to moab at ~90mph we are seeing 2,200 rpms in 8th gear, which it holds no problem at that speed. If we went to 5.13's, it would be closer to 2,900 rpms. With the 4.7:1 1st gear and the 4:1 transfer case, there's plenty of gearing in low range regardless of tire size. If you tend to drive 80+, I wouldn't go below 4.56 if I were choosing gears (4.59 is the equivalent ratio of 4.10's with 33's versus 37's anyway). I definitely wouldn't waste the money on a regear to go from 4.10's to 4.56 so I'm staying where I'm at.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

2021 JLUR 3.6l - Went back and forth between 4,.88 and 5.13. Went with the 5.13's and very happy with that decision, especially at altitude. Much peppier now off the line with 37's and a ton of weight than stock. No problem holding 8th gear or downshifting when needed. Averaged 18 mpg from here to Moab going over significant size mountain passes.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
2021 JLUR 3.6l - Went back and forth between 4,.88 and 5.13. Went with the 5.13's and very happy with that decision, especially at altitude. Much peppier now off the line with 37's and a ton of weight than stock. No problem holding 8th gear or downshifting when needed. Averaged 18 mpg from here to Moab going over significant size mountain passes.
As you know even with 410s and 37s when you take off it's pretty quick I could not imagine how fast it is with 513s. I bet when you take off it just throws you back. I don't remember what mine was stock because I only had a stock for about 2 days and did the lift and wheels and tires LOL

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
I’ve heard of the memory/learning part before. Personally, I just couldn’t stand the gear hunting between 70 and 80 MPH here in NC but that’s just me. I’m 34 and never married with no kids so I guess I beat the marriage stats in America :LOL:

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I’ve heard of the memory/learning part before. Personally, I just couldn’t stand the gear hunting between 70 and 80 MPH here in NC but that’s just me. I’m 34 and never married with no kids so I guess I beat the marriage stats in America :LOL:
For what I'm spending on college for one semester I could easily put 1 ton axles and 40s lols
Sponsored