Sponsored

For those going with 37s, are you regearing??

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Our first gear ratio is so low compared to previous jeep autos, especially if you had an early jk. That 2.86 first gear is what gave the 3.8L such a bad name in my opinion. If you never drive over 62mph (weirdly specific, but posted multiple times?), go ahead and go deep gears to get 8th gear back. We see 8th all the time on heavy 37" geolander x-mt's. We also set the cruise control at 80mph on road trips. I'd rather keep the rpms lower on the freeway as the 4.7 1st gear will still break the tires loose if you punch it. It's all in how you drive I guess. The deep transfer case gears are more usable when your axle gears aren't super low also.

Jeep Wrangler JL For those going with 37s, are you regearing?? IMG_20210103_152546_263
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cherry Bomb

First Name
Griz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L I4, 1992 YJ 2.5L 4cyl
Vehicle Showcase
10000 miles in 37s without regearing and I hit and hold all 8 gears, get 19/21 mpg with an RTT. I have the 2.0 with a Mishimoto Intercooler. I think the 3.6 would need to regear and is where the discrepancy is. I can also hit top speed of 112mph so I don't see a need to regear until I jump to 40s and Dana 60s.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
10000 miles in 37s without regearing and I hit and hold all 8 gears, get 19/21 mpg with an RTT. I have the 2.0 with a Mishimoto Intercooler. I think the 3.6 would need to regear and is where the discrepancy is. I can also hit top speed of 112mph so I don't see a need to regear until I jump to 40s and Dana 60s.
Every now and then it won't hit 8th gearth. I'll hit it over to manual drive and hit 8th myself by bumping it no big deal. Then later it will remember it and do it itself something about the transmission has a memory somebody told me. Almost 20,000 miles and I've had no problems. Don't see spending 1500 to 1800 when I don't need it

Cherry Bomb

First Name
Griz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Every now and then it won't hit 8th gearth. I'll hit it over to manual drive and hit 8th myself by bumping it no big deal. Then later it will remember it and do it itself something about the transmission has a memory somebody told me. Almost 20,000 miles and I've had no problems. Don't see spending 1500 to 1800 when I don't need it
I haven't had that issue, yet, but I wonder if the JL Tazer can reset that memory or adjust it? Yes, I don't see it either. Especially if all it might take is running a lighter wheel and tire package to get back the efficiency loss.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Our first gear ratio is so low compared to previous jeep autos, especially if you had an early jk. That 2.86 first gear is what gave the 3.8L such a bad name in my opinion. If you never drive over 62mph (weirdly specific, but posted multiple times?), go ahead and go deep gears to get 8th gear back. We see 8th all the time on heavy 37" geolander x-mt's. We also set the cruise control at 80mph on road trips. I'd rather keep the rpms lower on the freeway as the 4.7 1st gear will still break the tires loose if you punch it. It's all in how you drive I guess. The deep transfer case gears are more usable when your axle gears aren't super low also.

Jeep Wrangler JL For those going with 37s, are you regearing?? IMG_20210103_152546_263
So nice to see someone put their high lift jack in a good spot instead of on top of their hood or straight up beside their drivers mirror where it could be ripped off and do a lot of damage. lol. Most people are weekend warriors and cant go wheeling every weekend like myself but some think its cool to put it on the top of the hood which totally makes it look like a eye sore on top of a nice new Jeep. Great location the way you mounted it there

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I haven't had that issue, yet, but I wonder if the JL Tazer can reset that memory or adjust it? Yes, I don't see it either. Especially if all it might take is running a lighter wheel and tire package to get back the efficiency loss.
I have the Tazer mini and that's all I needed. I didn't see the need to spend a extra $100 for the regular Tazer

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
So nice to see someone put their high lift jack in a good spot instead of on top of their hood or straight up beside their drivers mirror where it could be ripped off and do a lot of damage. lol. Most people are weekend warriors and cant go wheeling every weekend like myself but some think its cool to put it on the top of the hood which totally makes it look like a eye sore on top of a nice new Jeep. Great location the way you mounted it there
I like the location enough I added rod couplings to lift it up higher for clearance when we added the winch. I never liked the idea of trying to wrestle the jack of the hood in the middle of a mud hole, too much potential for 1 slip to cause some serious body/paint damage. The roll bar mounts for inside are even worse in my opinion, you want me to drag this muddy jack out of the ground and put it inside my $50k jeep? Hard pass.
Jeep Wrangler JL For those going with 37s, are you regearing?? 20210530_103253

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I like the location enough I added rod couplings to lift it up higher for clearance when we added the winch. I never liked the idea of trying to wrestle the jack of the hood in the middle of a mud hole, too much potential for 1 slip to cause some serious body/paint damage. The roll bar mounts for inside are even worse in my opinion, you want me to drag this muddy jack out of the ground and put it inside my $50k jeep? Hard pass.
Jeep Wrangler JL For those going with 37s, are you regearing?? 20210530_103253
I found that the bottle jack works great for me

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I found that the bottle jack works great for me
In some cases it's better than the hi lift. In others it's useless. Try righting a rig that's flopped on its side with a bottle jack. Bottle jack in a mud hole? Even if you could find solid ground, have fun with your snorkel getting under the rig to place it. Not only can I jack the jeep without getting under it, not only do I have 50 times the travel of a bottle jack, I can strap the jack to a tree and use it to pull the jeep. It's about versatility and having the right tool for the job. When we wheel in soft conditions (mud, sand, snow) we bring the traction boards and exhaust jack too. We have a winch, but carry a kinetic recovery rope as well. There are far too many variables off road to choose I piece of recovery gear.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Yes, waiting on a new Dana 4.88 UD44 to arrive (estimated ship date early July) and doing a host of other mods/upgrades in the meantime. Also waiting on the new BFG KO2 37x12.50 C's to arrive...

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
In some cases it's better than the hi lift. In others it's useless. Try righting a rig that's flopped on its side with a bottle jack. Bottle jack in a mud hole? Even if you could find solid ground, have fun with your snorkel getting under the rig to place it. Not only can I jack the jeep without getting under it, not only do I have 50 times the travel of a bottle jack, I can strap the jack to a tree and use it to pull the jeep. It's about versatility and having the right tool for the job. When we wheel in soft conditions (mud, sand, snow) we bring the traction boards and exhaust jack too. We have a winch, but carry a kinetic recovery rope as well. There are far too many variables off road to choose I piece of recovery gear.
it comes down to what kind of wheeling you do. Mud just ruins a lot of things and I have seen people ruing gears brakes and all kinds of things. We do mostly rock crawling and when I want to go mudding we take our cheap atvs and go. Even or RZRS we take them to the sand dunes with the paddle tires. Nothing like that at the dunes even compares to the dunes fun. But Like I said everyone wheels diffrent. I've seen people do thousands of damage to their RZRs getting them submerged in the mud and having to keep changing their fluids out 3 or 4 times. Did you see that JT where that guy submerged it in the mud and it broke down and when they towed it in the dealer refused to cover it under warranty because it was considered abuse ? You can still have a lot of fun wheeling without submerging the Jeep in the mud

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
it comes down to what kind of wheeling you do. Mud just ruins a lot of things and I have seen people ruing gears brakes and all kinds of things. We do mostly rock crawling and when I want to go mudding we take our cheap atvs and go. Even or RZRS we take them to the sand dunes with the paddle tires. Nothing like that at the dunes even compares to the dunes fun. But Like I said everyone wheels diffrent. I've seen people do thousands of damage to their RZRs getting them submerged in the mud and having to keep changing their fluids out 3 or 4 times. Did you see that JT where that guy submerged it in the mud and it broke down and when they towed it in the dealer refused to cover it under warranty because it was considered abuse ? You can still have a lot of fun wheeling without submerging the Jeep in the mud
I'm not talking mudding per se, there are a couple spots on the Rubicon where you have to go through the mud and a couple water crossings (especially early in the season). You may encounter snow as well. Same goes for most of the Sierra Nevada trails in the spring or fall. I'm not saying everyone needs a hi lift, but in our 20+ years of wheeling I'd say we've used it for more recovery situations than any other piece of gear.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I'm not talking mudding per se, there are a couple spots on the Rubicon where you have to go through the mud and a couple water crossings (especially early in the season). You may encounter snow as well. Same goes for most of the Sierra Nevada trails in the spring or fall. I'm not saying everyone needs a hi lift, but in our 20+ years of wheeling I'd say we've used it for more recovery situations than any other piece of gear.
That's great to know it works for you like I said some people they go once every 3 months and they put two high lift jacks on their Jeep they put those fiberglass ski plates or whatever you want to call them I can't think of the name right now to get you out of the mud those big long things they put them on the back all that recovery gear shovels and never even go off roading but once every 3 months what a joke it's all looks. Yeah that one time you might need it but to put all that stuff on and only go Road off-roading every 3 months like I know some people that do they're just trying to look cool and you know some people do you I'm not saying you do but you know you've seen people out there with all that shit on their Jeep and they never even use it it's still brand new a year later

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Every now and then it won't hit 8th gearth. I'll hit it over to manual drive and hit 8th myself by bumping it no big deal.
If you measure the fuel consumption at say 70MPH in 7th or 8th gear you will see that the difference is negligible, and so is sound level in the cabin which is dominated by wind noise anyway. My Jeep on 37th regularly goes into 8th, but I could care less if it does or does not.

IMHO, opinion a reagearing should be contemplated to solve a specific problem (e.g. crawl ratio of road not being slow enough, or not enough off-the line acceleration). Worrying about using all gears on a 8 or 10 speed auto transmission should not be one of them.

Drive your Jeep after tire change. See how it performs for you, the way you drive it. If nothing needs obvious "fix" leave it alone and have fun.

Cherry Bomb

First Name
Griz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Tazer mini and that's all I needed. I didn't see the need to spend a extra $100 for the regular Tazer
I have the mini as well, same reason.
Sponsored