For the Sunrider owners

MOOG5050

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon XR
If I install one and want to remove to go topless, how much of a pain is it? How quick to remove? Thanks.
Sponsored

Mike_Hawk

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GOBI JLUR 3.6
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Clubs

The Sunrider is held on by 2 bolts per side, and 2 bolts that hold the rear of the Sunrider to the cross member behind the drivers head. For a total of 6 bolts.

It takes about 5 min to remove but you'll need a place to store it.

Personally, I think the Sunrider is an incredible mod and would highly recommend it.

EDIT: It will be a pain if you need to remove it on your own, I would recommend having a helper because it's an awkward shape and doesn't lock in the closed position when not attached to the Jeep.

OP
OP
MOOG5050

MOOG5050

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon XR
The Sunrider is held on by 2 bolts per side, and 2 bolts that hold the rear of the Sunrider to the cross member behind the drivers head. For a total of 6 bolts.

It takes about 5 min to remove but you'll need a place to store it.

Personally, I think the Sunrider is an incredible mod and would highly recommend it.

EDIT: It will be a pain if you need to remove it on your own, I would recommend having a helper because it's an awkward shape and doesn't lock in the closed position when not attached to the Jeep.
thanks. I wasn’t sure if it held together after removing the bolts. Some videos talk about z clips to clip to side pieces but the more recent seem like it comes assembled and only needs the bolts to hold in place.

Mike_Hawk

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GOBI JLUR 3.6
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Clubs

thanks. I wasn’t sure if it held together after removing the bolts. Some videos talk about z clips to clip to side pieces but the more recent seem like it comes assembled and only needs the bolts to hold in place.
Yes, the whole assembly does stay in one piece on its own (minus the bracket that secures the back to the frame). Now that I think of it, it did come with Velcro loops that I imagine might be for securing the top to the sides in the closed orientation when you remove it.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Yeah, as others have mentioned, it's pretty easy - the bolts that hold it on are the same size as the ones that hold the hard top itself on, so you can use the same tool, etc.

Maybe an extra 5-6 minutes to remove it before you can remove the rest of the top?

It *is* a bit unwieldy. Once you do it a few times, you'll figure out how to hold it to do it with one person, but if you have a second pair of hands to help you, it's much, much easier. It's not heavy, just funky (and doesn't lock into position once unbolted). My recommendation would be to pull it off from the closed, position, though.

My sunrider is probably my favorite "mod" that I've done on the Jeep. I use the hard Freedom Panels for *maybe* a month or two during the winter, or if I'm going on a long roadtrip where I know I won't want to open it on the trip.

Sponsored

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
It only takes 6 bolts to remove the sunrider...less than 1 min per bolt. When I go topless I keep the sunrider on for temporary sun and wind protection.

Jeep Wrangler JL For the Sunrider owners 1686073143503
Can you remove the hard top with the SR still mounted in place? I was thinking (JLU) that you'd need to remove the SR first since it overlaps the hard top at the speaker bar.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Can you remove the hard top with the SR still mounted in place? I was thinking (JLU) that you'd need to remove the SR first since it overlaps the hard top at the speaker bar.
Unfortunately no. You still have to take the 6 bolts out but then just have to slide the sunrider assembly forward a few inches to access the hardtop bolts, remove the hardtop, and then slide the sunrider back into place and put the bolts back in.

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
Unfortunately no. You still have to take the 6 bolts out but then just have to slide the sunrider assembly forward a few inches to access the hardtop bolts, remove the hardtop, and then slide the sunrider back into place and put the bolts back in.
OK got it... that's what I assumed. I've used the freedom panels before with the hard top off for the same reasoning.
Sponsored