Sponsored

For the love of God - Please stop asking which model to buy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
You know, there are people here asking advice or information because they aren’t “Jeep savvy” or knowledgeable about the differences between the models or the significance of those differences if they do know what they are. Is giving help or advice really such a burden for those more in the know than the average new car (or in this case Jeep) buyer?

And I know without doubt that the Rubicon Unlimited is the model I’m choosing so no help needed on that front for me. ;)
I'm with the OP. One thing is asking what are the differences/advantages of one feature over the others, so you can make an educated decision, but you making the decision based on your needs and another thing is asking others to tell you what model/features ou should buy.
Sponsored

Movingday

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
The more I read this forum, the more I question the Jeep community. It’s supposed to be a great community of people that will go out of their way to help other jeepers. Yet I continue to read comments and see a thread like this that point to the complete opposite. Now I know that the negative comments are the minority, but I don’t see many people stepping in to shut them up. This is a forum where people come for HELP. If you don’t want to help them then move to the next topic. No one is forced to read anything. Who cares if they searched for similar threads, copy a link and post it if it bothers you that bad. Better yet, just HELP them. Maybe we could also stop bashing people for not being “true jeepers” whatever the hell that means. Oh you like those wheels you’re a poser, oh you got a rubicon and will never go off-road you’re not a real Jeep guy. Can’t believe you left your Jeep stock you should have just bought a minivan. You want to start a thread, start a thread stopping all that bullshit. It would be really refreshing to actually see a community of people that were respectful of each other and truly wanted to help their fellow man. I thought that’s what the Jeep community was supposed to be. Sorry for the book.

person500

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Moab Edition, 2018 JLU Sahara
If someone asks what they should buy, it may be that they simply want others to tell them how to spend their money. But more likely they know their needs, but don't know how the available products and options will meet that need. So when someone says 'what should I buy', maybe see if they fall in that second group an help them. Or simply explain why you made the decision that you made, and assume they can decide for themselves whether that scenario applies to them.

Sponsored

Maximusdafarmer

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6MT
Occupation
Mariner
Vehicle Showcase
I tend to agree with the point of the first post, but honestly I have been part of so many different forums for active car/ truck/ Jeep communities, this is pervasive. Just ignore the thread if you think it is redundant. Some people will not search, some people will not read a whole thread before asking a question, and sometimes similar threads do have different objectives or inputs that make them both valid. In the end, they are all better than [Banned Site] lol.

The other forum phenomena you see ALLLLL the time is where a small group of people on a forum experience a problem and then blow it waaaay out of proportion and make it seem like this epidemic that gets new and current owners all worked up over what is usually not that big of a deal...

Sunin-Retired

First Name
Sunin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Rubi on order, 2013 Prius c, 1999 10th Anniversary Miata
You know, there are people here asking advice or information because they aren’t “Jeep savvy” or knowledgeable about the differences between the models or the significance of those differences if they do know what they are. Is giving help or advice really such a burden for those more in the know than the average new car (or in this case Jeep) buyer?

And I know without doubt that the Rubicon Unlimited is the model I’m choosing so no help needed on that front for me. ;)
This is why I asked it was one part of my overall education on the new JLs

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Oh and I already know my comments don’t matter because I’m not a real Jeep guy. I drive a Sahara with matching fenders and top
Man, I don't know what forum you're reading, but this is some hogwash right here. PLENTY of love for the Sahara on here, and for painted fenders and tops. 90% of the responses on the "which Jeep should I buy" threads recommend a Sahara. And that's my problem with them: it's not that we're being unhelpful dicks, it's that the majority of the OP's know which trim is best (mostly Sahara, good amount of Sport), but want a Rubicon for whatever reason. They're not looking for help, they're looking for validation. Which is why folks are getting tired of it.

BL, buy what you love, love what you drive. And the only time to bash someone as not being a "True Jeeper" is when they bash someone else driving a Jeep--any one of em.

OP
OP

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
What’s funny is that if he was talking about the most recent thread on the subject, then THIS thread now has more posts than it does!:cwl:
The point and hope for the post was to keep it at the top :) it's why the title is as long as it is. You dont even have to click on it to know what it's about, lol.

Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I get your point- but it is a forum. In all honesty- how many non duplicated topics do you plan to see in a General section? People come and go, information becomes stale, posters have different ways of thinking. I joined in February, but some people had been posting for months before the model even came out. Lots of “I think..” happening.

I’m fine with multiple posts. As the song goes- if you don’t like what you hear; pick up the needle, press pause or turn the radio off...

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I’m a firm believer in searching first before asking although I’ve resigned my position in the Forum Search Nazi party several years ago. How would one search this forum in a way to find an informative answer to the issue of which model is best for their needs? Not trolling, I’m asking in all seriousness. I tried searching that before making this post and do you know what results came up? The very issue that the OP was bitching about - threads with people asking the questions and lots of replies of “get what’s right for you!” or “Rubicon or die!” or “stop asking other people what YOU should buy!” Know what I didn’t find? An answer. Lol.
No worries, if I know of another relevant post I would just link it here rather than give a lecture. There are so many overlapping and duplicate threads it seems silly to worry about starting a new one. Also, a lot of the forum is speculative since many of it was here pre-release.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I get your point- but it is a forum. In all honesty- how many non duplicated topics do you plan to see in a General section? People come and go, information becomes stale, posters have different ways of thinking. I joined in February, but some people had been posting for months before the model even came out. Lots of “I think..” happening.

I’m fine with multiple posts. As the song goes- if you don’t like what you hear; pick up the needle, press pause or turn the radio off...

IKR...I can't even find it, but only after a few months someone had a thread to vote for what to stop posting about as a joke!

Thrive

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Durango R/T, 2007 Mercedes R63 AMG
[QUOTE="JeepJL18, post: 321465, member: 17618”]
It's kind like choosing a wife. (or a husband for all you ladies)

You could choose a gorgeous blonde that is a model for Victoria's secret (or ladies, the stud of your dreams), but as an old grandpa told me one time "Once you get past the looks and features, they could be a bitch under the hood and not worth it".[/QUOTE]
Horrific analogy. You do realize that humans are unique individuals and are not limited to a dozen or so options on 4 different models right?

By making a “bitch” thread on the topic you are alienating potential new members of a club of “vehicle” people that still wave to each other on a daily basis.

You’re just intolerant and so as others have said SKIP those threads and leave them for the nice people here to try and help out.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I’m a firm believer in searching first before asking although I’ve resigned my position in the Forum Search Nazi party several years ago. How would one search this forum in a way to find an informative answer to the issue of which model is best for their needs? Not trolling, I’m asking in all seriousness. I tried searching that before making this post and do you know what results came up? The very issue that the OP was bitching about - threads with people asking the questions and lots of replies of “get what’s right for you!” or “Rubicon or die!” or “stop asking other people what YOU should buy!” Know what I didn’t find? An answer. Lol.

In the spirit of lighting a candle rather than cursing the darkness, how difficult would it be to have a sticky thread that outlines what makes each model what it is, the differences between them, and the practical importance of those differences? Then simply pointing anyone to that thread will be easy enough and they’ll get useful information rather than the scorn and ridicule of the OG Jeep Mafia. :idea:
Very good points. It would also help if the search function was better on this website. For example, I stumbled on a better way to search - if you click the MORE button instead of typing in something at the top level, it will search all threads by default, not the current thread or sub section you are in. Plus, you get extra parameters to narrow your search even more. You can also use Google to search the JL forum website by going to Google.com, enter site:www.jlwranglerforums.com which model to buy or site:www.jlwranglerforums.com stingray or site:www.jlwranglerforums.com lift kit or site:www.jlwranglerforums.com any other topic here, etc. Also, to see all photos ever posted to this website, enter site:www.jlwranglerforums.com then click on the 'images' link at the top. Excellent picture gallery view.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.