Sponsored

**Sold**. Say hello to my future overland trailer. 2020 JTUR bed box.

OP
OP
lepcat

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR, Sky One Touch
Just make sure your bed came from a truck without front camera. Somehow back cameras are different and not compatible between trucks with and without trail cam.
Okay thanks. I have options for the cameras. Not worried about that.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Honestly, I would ditch the idea of using a partial truck frame and rear axle and just build a frame from scratch and get proper trailer axle built to specs.
Much lighter and if you can do the work yourself, probably more cost effective as well.

Another thing, if I were doing he build I would try and figure out a way to use the box backwards or extend the box so the axle would be close to the rear of the trailer for better weight distribution. I know people suggested extending the tongue and putting a front rack on it but I think it would still be tail heavy if the front rack wasn’t loaded.
not knocking the previous suggestions just adding my own.
Good luck with the build.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
OP
OP
lepcat

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was just thinking that an aluminum truck tool box would go well in front of the truck bed itself. There are many out there of different dimensions.

I agree about building a frame for for it vs trying to modify a Jeep frame.

http://www.rki-us.com/products.aspx?sec=s&cat=2&type=2&series=25

http://www.rki-us.com/products.aspx?sec=s&cat=2&type=5&series=30
Yes Sir. Already looking at these. Or this style. Looking at aluminum to keep the weight down. May look into having one fabbed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
lepcat

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Little update. Mostly just pics.

Just getting around to getting the bed under cover to start mocking it up. Flipped the bed over. (Scared to death of dropping it the whole time) Got the mopar purchased rear frame rails from a JTR put on. Hitch assembly bolted up. Mainly checking geometry. Haven't tried the bumper yet. That is the next item on the list.

Jeep Wrangler JL **Sold**. Say hello to my future overland trailer. 2020 JTUR bed box. File_035

Jeep Wrangler JL **Sold**. Say hello to my future overland trailer. 2020 JTUR bed box. File_036

Jeep Wrangler JL **Sold**. Say hello to my future overland trailer. 2020 JTUR bed box. File_037

Jeep Wrangler JL **Sold**. Say hello to my future overland trailer. 2020 JTUR bed box. File_038

Jeep Wrangler JL **Sold**. Say hello to my future overland trailer. 2020 JTUR bed box. File_039

Jeep Wrangler JL **Sold**. Say hello to my future overland trailer. 2020 JTUR bed box. File_040

Jeep Wrangler JL **Sold**. Say hello to my future overland trailer. 2020 JTUR bed box. File_041

Jeep Wrangler JL **Sold**. Say hello to my future overland trailer. 2020 JTUR bed box. File_042

Jeep Wrangler JL **Sold**. Say hello to my future overland trailer. 2020 JTUR bed box. unnamed-1

Jeep Wrangler JL **Sold**. Say hello to my future overland trailer. 2020 JTUR bed box. unnamed-2

Jeep Wrangler JL **Sold**. Say hello to my future overland trailer. 2020 JTUR bed box. unnamed-3

Jeep Wrangler JL **Sold**. Say hello to my future overland trailer. 2020 JTUR bed box. unnamed-4

Jeep Wrangler JL **Sold**. Say hello to my future overland trailer. 2020 JTUR bed box. unnamed-5

Jeep Wrangler JL **Sold**. Say hello to my future overland trailer. 2020 JTUR bed box. unnamed-6

Jeep Wrangler JL **Sold**. Say hello to my future overland trailer. 2020 JTUR bed box. unnamed-7

Jeep Wrangler JL **Sold**. Say hello to my future overland trailer. 2020 JTUR bed box. unnamed-8

Jeep Wrangler JL **Sold**. Say hello to my future overland trailer. 2020 JTUR bed box. unnamed-9

Jeep Wrangler JL **Sold**. Say hello to my future overland trailer. 2020 JTUR bed box. unnamed-10

Jeep Wrangler JL **Sold**. Say hello to my future overland trailer. 2020 JTUR bed box. unnamed-11

Jeep Wrangler JL **Sold**. Say hello to my future overland trailer. 2020 JTUR bed box. unnamed

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
This is awesome and I’m sure you’ve got a handle on things, but it occurred to me that it would be really cool if you could use the fuel filler neck to fill a reserve tank. Maybe even get some kind of pump to send it to the jeep (not on the move necessarily, just when stopped).

OP
OP
lepcat

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is awesome and I’m sure you’ve got a handle on things, but it occurred to me that it would be really cool if you could use the fuel filler neck to fill a reserve tank. Maybe even get some kind of pump to send it to the jeep (not on the move necessarily, just when stopped).

I don't feel like I will make the type of trip that would require that. I was more thinking of a water tank. Pressurized accessed via the fuel door.

OP
OP
lepcat

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@lepcat where is the update? Surely you have been working on this project? I updated my thread with some things I found.
It sits as shown in the last photo updates. Been busy and leaving for Moab in a couple of weeks. Sadly money schedules this build. And money hasn’t been returning my calls. I will check out your build.

Sponsored

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
Can't wait to see this finished. Keep up the great work and updates.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Honestly, I would ditch the idea of using a partial truck frame and rear axle and just build a frame from scratch and get proper trailer axle built to specs.
Much lighter and if you can do the work yourself, probably more cost effective as well.

Another thing, if I were doing he build I would try and figure out a way to use the box backwards or extend the box so the axle would be close to the rear of the trailer for better weight distribution. I know people suggested extending the tongue and putting a front rack on it but I think it would still be tail heavy if the front rack wasn’t loaded.
not knocking the previous suggestions just adding my own.
Good luck with the build.
these are excellent suggestions for a trailer build. My first thoughts when I saw the bed was there wasn't anything up front to balance the load and all the weight will be off the back of the axle.

OP
OP
lepcat

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
these are excellent suggestions for a trailer build. My first thoughts when I saw the bed was there wasn't anything up front to balance the load and all the weight will be off the back of the axle.

Def have to compensate, The bed it self is pretty light. Long tongue, and I will have gear boxes and spare in front of the bed. Prob water tank down the road. I am looking at pivot ideas for the RTT as well. When in travel mode. Pivot points that allow the tent to move forward and lay almost flush with the top of the bed and move forward. Like a little awning over the gear boxes. If that makes any sense at all. I'm tired. I'm in Texas dealing with this Ice/Snow/shit show. Been giving rides to first responders and hospital staff for the last three days and pulling/recovery work.
Sponsored