For Noobs...what have you learned

JB3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi SQ5, Jeep JLU
The JLUR is my first Jeep. It's not my first vehicle by a long shot but as I've learned a Jeep isn't just a vehicle..it's an addiction. I've been down the performance hole with german cars in the past but this is a new experience and the fall into world of upgrades is much deeper/longer fall.

After 4ish months of ownership there are so many things I've learned and so many things I will do differently on the next rig...which might be the diesel once available.

Above all, I've learned that this forum is a HUGE resource for information and help. Thank you all.

As I relates to my rig, let's start with the transmission. I have a 6-speed manual and while I wouldn't change the decision of manual vs automatic, I desperate need more umph. It's need more everything: more HP and more torque. I've added a 2" mopar lift and 35s which I recognized have contributed to that lagging feeling when on the paved roads. Maybe the diesel helps here but having a higher end engine option or even a supercharger would be very attractive. I need to learn more about the supercharger but they feels like an attractive albeit pricey option if I do another gas engine.

Gearing is a general disappointment on the road with the 4.10 ratio. It would be great if the factory offered a Dana 60 option, 37s or higher and running a 5.38. May be this would help the 12mpg I get but I expect is would allow me to actually get to use 6th gear. Right now 6th gear is reserver for downhill and downwind scenarios only.

The 2" Mopar lift feels good to me but I probably don't have enough experience to know how it performs vs others. I've a ton about different shock systems, quick disconnects for the front sway bar and hydraulic bump stops and so much more but right now I don't have the itch to solve those at this point.

Next wheels and tires. I instantly took off the stock wheels and tires for Mopar beadlocks and BFG 35s. I love the look of the wheels but I think the 35" tire was a mistake. Next time without question I will start with 37s. Just a little more clearance is a big deal. As a noob, it was a little hassle to sell the takeoff wheels and tires but I understand it's not viable for the dealership to keep the takeoffs as a credit. It would seems like the factory would offer more/different options.

The factory steels bumpers were another mistake. Mistake is too strong of a word but I will do something different next time. I've made the front bumper a stubby style and I would actually be ok with keeping that the same if I was trying to get something to more closely match the look of the rear. The rear steel bumper is a must change IMO. I like the Motobilt with spare carrier but I strongly believe the Jeep needs an easy area to mount rear lighting without requiring a Gobi or any roof rack.

On my front bumper I have a Warn winch, bull bar and 7" mopar LED lights. I would do all of these again although I am justing over the KC gravity pro6 light bar.

I has this native view that the rubicon skids were both beefy and provided enough coverage. Both of these are not true if you are playing offroad. I will be adding a belly pan to the next rig along with LCA skids.

I have been happy with the Mopar performance rock sliders vs the stock rubicon slider. It provides a mini step for the family and it feels like I have a little more protection from side damage with a simple slide.

I have the tow kit and I've towed a 14' trailer a good bit. I would absolutely do that again with maybe the addition of brake assist.

The antenna I've kept the factory one and hated it since day one. I just haven't swapped it for something else.

Custom inner wheel liners seem great for a more custom look but functionally it still doesn't feel like something I am missing out on.

Onboard air vs powertank is a debate I haven't settled on but not having a great spot for onboard on without using valuable cabin space seems like a lean towards the powertank.

Interior seems mostly good other than adding mirrors with topless and doorless. The Carolina Metal Masters seems like a good fit and I'd do that again.

A cargo area all weather mat would be one of my interior day 1 additions I would do next day. A molle first aid bag is handy too.

I haven't added a CB yet but I think it would make a lot of sense to have an "easy" option to use the AUX switches for power and maybe pre-wire to the rear tailgate similar to what's done with a tow kit option.

A built in AC plug would be a valuable option in the cargo area but it's an easy workaround with an inverter.

This is my journey so far and let me be very clear, I've loved learning each of these things and I am always looking forward to the next upgrade and/or rig.

What would you do differently?
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Are you really getting 12 mpg? That's a joke right?

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I learned don't break a body bolt installing rock rails. It hurts your wallet in an unsatisfactory/unrewarding way. Plus, my young son learned new "words" that day. So learning all around.

Sponsored

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
I learned angry bird grills are a no no.

OP
OP

JB3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi SQ5, Jeep JLU
Yeah 12-13 MPG is very much average. If I remove the top it drops even further.

Peanut Butter

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL?
I get 15-16 mpg as read from the dash. That's without the re-flash. So, it's probably closer the 16-17 mpg

I have 37s and a manual trans. Drive a combination of highway and city. It could use higher gears.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I've learned that patience is required, with so many parts, accessories, etc. being out of stock or not yet available for the JL.
I've learned how to drive leisurely... forget about 0-60 in anything less than a minute.
I've learned just how heavy a steel front bumper can be.
I've learned that making your own modifications is extremely satisfying.
I've learned that "driving naked" is fantastic either way you interpret it.
I've learned that if you want answers to questions and helpful tips, this is the place. These guys/gals know more than my dealer and have always come thru for me.
I've learned that an owner's manual can be over 600 pages.
I've learned that FCA likes a good April Fool's joke and can be a bunch of sneaky m'fer's... see all the threads regarding the off-road pages.
I've learned to stop looking at posts & pictures about what people have done TO their Jeep JL today. Needless to say, I'm not a fast learner...see next line.
I've learned that Wrangler ownership can be an expensive (yet fun) addiction.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/how-much-money-have-you-wasted-so-far.14001/page-2

This being my first Wrangler as well, the only thing I'd have done differently would have been to get one much sooner.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Then either something is wrong with your jeep or you are driving it waayyyyy too aggressively.

Sponsored

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
I've owned a few various 4x4's in the past and my needs were mostly for hunting access and winter driving. Now I'm retired with a place in MN and in Arizona......and my new JLUR is kept in "OZ" for use on trails and "sploring" the desert and back country of OZ....CA and UT (lots of neat country).

I was unsure what my needs would be so I spent some time on this forum to get all the right boxes checked before ordering my Rubicon. I was unsure about the Sky One-touch roof when buying.....but I absolutely love being able to instantly open or close my roof. Too much dust and/ or heat......and I like some parking lot security.

I stayed with the plastic bumpers and immediately replaced front and rear with RH 4x4 steel bumpers and their swinging tire carrier. Also put on the Rock Hard Patriot side sliders. I like the Rock Hard products allot. Bought a Smittlybuilt winch on sale and all the recovery gear and high lift jack and such. Added a cb radio for riding in a group. Have done most of the installs myself....and enjoy learning about the Jeep and mods as I do the wrenching (most of the time).

I have resisted lifting my rig.....but added 35's and method wheels. After a few months of driving......I think I can be very happy with those choices.

I still need to add some skid plates.......and continue to read here for good ideas on a fall install. I think for my needs, the Quadratec skids will do nicely and I won't gain too much weight with aluminum skids for the engine, and gear boxes. Likely will not further protect the gas tank or muffler, etc. Likely will add skids to protect the control arms and likely the diffs too. Seems I stumble into boulder trail sections all too often and it feels like some protection here could pay off.

I was a bit uncertain how much big of tires I would go for......but I think I found my happy spot for our needs. A 2" lift is always possible.....but I dont think we are going that direction.

Lots of trails and fun areas to explore in OZ.....that require a vehicle like this. Still....I am not looking for the toughest trails in OZ.....that type of vehicle does not fit my trail choices. I think I am happy with 6 and under ratings on a scale of ten. MN and OZ definitely have different needs......IMO.

Having a resource like this forum has certainly helped make the above choices.....THANKS everyone.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I owned four JKs with the 6-speed manual; they were GREAT FUN!

But I learned that this new 8-speed automatic is better in every way: it has more gears, including a very low 1st gear and a taller top gear; the programming is spot-on, it knows exactly in what gear to be at any given time; it shifts quickly and smoothly; it has proven to be durable, and like every other automatic on the trail, it allows you to focus on your lines instead of your shifting.

My guess is you wouldn’t be feeling your JL on 35s “needs more power” if it had got two more cogs.

Ehmsea

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 13 Camaro SS, 04 Pontiac GP
Occupation
RF Engineer
I never thought I'd say "I think this is a trail...Is this a trail?" so often...

I never thought I'd laugh as water pours in off the top of the windshield seam when you open the door after/during a heavy rain. :CWL:

I never thought It could be so much fun to go so slow...
:like:
Sponsored