Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
This may have already been posted here; I’m not sure. This is a 2011 Wrangler Sport (JK) - totally stock, not lifted. Presumably the JL is even more capable, and I believe it has more clearance. You can clearly see the BLD at work; you will see one tire airborne a few times, not spinning (there’s also an instance of it spinning but the grounded tire is spinning too).

The video is Australian. The driver is excellent at picking his lines and taking his time. His tires are aired down.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I’ve seen base Jeeps do quite impressive stuff.

Even more so when in good hands!

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
This may have already been posted here; I’m not sure. This is a 2011 Wrangler Sport (JK) - totally stock, not lifted. Presumably the JL is even more capable, and I believe it has more clearance. You can clearly see the BLD at work; you will see one tire airborne a few times, not spinning (there’s also an instance of it spinning but the grounded tire is spinning too).

The video is Australian. The driver is excellent at picking his lines and taking his time. His tires are aired down.

Thanks Jeff , my confidence in the Sport is growing : ) I do not intend to do many upgrades except installing 33" and maybe replacing the front bumper but not yet .

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

OK, Jeff newbie question. Whats BLD?

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Brake Lock (limited slip) Differential.
It is a brake lock differential, but that’s not exactly the same thing as a limited slip diff. A BLD uses the brakes to control wheelspin whereas an LSD has a clutch pack inside the diff which engages after a certain amount of uneven wheelspin takes place.

The distinction matters when changing diff fluid as some LSDs require a friction modifier; a jeep with BLD doesn’t. Also, if your jeep (JL) has a limited slip rear end it also has the Dana 44, whereas ones with BLD have the 35 rear end.

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Jeff , my confidence in the Sport is growing : ) I do not intend to do many upgrades except installing 33" and maybe replacing the front bumper but not yet .
Same here Kluk. I put on 33’s and rock rails, which have already paid off. I slipped off into a hugely deep hole on the passenger side; the rail kept me from getting too off-camber. I was able to back out in low-4 after BLD and/or LSD kicked in on the rear axle, BLD on the front. Like an idiot I forgot to remove my ball hitch from the receiver. It plowed into the mud and sand about a foot deep. Fortunately no damage!

I too will be replacing the front bumper and adding a winch next year, hopefully. It’s up to the Mrs as to when I do so.

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
OK, Jeff newbie question. Whats BLD?
Curtis, to add to Tanner’s excellent response, the LSD I believe is mostly useful on hardtop, loss of traction situations. Also, the BLD braking is controlled by the computer, braking the slipping wheel which transfers torque to the wheel in contact with the ground. It works on front and rear axles. It is NOT as good as a true locking differential, but as you can see in the video, it is pretty effective in gnarly situations - if you know to keep steady, low pressure (low RPMs) on your accelerator.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
A few years ago I went on a dealer-sponsored “jamboree” up Gold Mountain, near Big Bear, California. There were several stock Sports; the trail has a couple of pretty gnarly spots.

On this photo, a stock X/Sport with open diffs and what look like 32s being professionally spotted through one of the tough sections. He made it through without any major scratches.
nc_oc=AQlIBhwvFdnSk9Uc1KBaiXRKsggOfEkT9GePK5j3yvJIS4Ed99mDUMzw0VNh6vSPbCY&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

A brand-spanking-new, completely stock Sport, all-seasons and all, goes through the first main obstacle. This young man was a champ! He brought his parents along, who would get out of the Jeep to spot him. He must have gotten his knack for driving from dad.
nc_oc=AQn9RodvUL-kmZmrxrtul8Fp_rxihy1A9AUmdhNsnrY-cmCGhuGBnUb2tUIVSYyPAEs&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

zmanz28

First Name
Zman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
My JL Sahara with upgraded Rubicon Takeoff wheels/KO2's is a lot more capable then I expected. It did fine on level 4 trails at SMORR (Southern Missouri Off Road Ranch) SMORR is on a rating scale of 1-6. I had to be pulled over one obstacle and had to winch once. The only Jeep that didnt winch was a JK on 3.5" lift and 37's. The other jeeps in the group all had 35's. I am only on 33's and aired down to 14 PSI. Stock jeeps are very capable if you use the right line.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Hey man, check out Florida roll call, morts getting a trail run for the 28th.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The JLS is the most capable Sport ever. The Rubicon package is a great enhacment over a Sport and with a set of traction 35” tires, a game changer.
Sponsored