Sponsored

For all the people who have bought/order JL? Why risk first year production of redesign?

sjappers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, tacoma
Usually its never a good idea to buy the first year of production after a redesign on a vehicle. For those who have already bought why take that risk? Fore those who have not and are waiting for second year of production what about the JL is giving you concerns? I have heard that chrysler is not known for quality, but had the impression that lately it has improved.
The jeep wrangler is their cash cow for sure. So releasing a new wrangler with problems and recalls would be a huge set back and hard to restore trust from the jeep loyalists once that is broken, and the preception is tarnished? I would think jeep would not release until they where sure the wrangler was solid (they could sell jk's until jl comes out anyways, so why risk it)? So do you think this is a quality re-design based on what is known today?
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Besides the obvious reason that we just want it?

This is a terrible reason - but for me it's more fun. I spend my money on my family. When it comes to buying something for myself I really drag it out and make it a process. That way I savor purchases and make fewer of them. I do a lot of research and really get into the process.

I can't imagine a year 2 or later purchase having the same energy and excitement as year 1. Every new bit of information, every delivery, every aftermarket release. It's just more fun. And to me it is worth the risk of year 1 problems. That is what warranties are for.

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Somebody has to do it, and they will probably cost more come year 2 lol

This is why I went fairly barebones on my order. I went with what I know works for upgrades...nothing here during year 1 on the JL (except the touchscreen/infotainment group) is gorund breaking for a Jeep. The 3.6 even though redesigned is a great motor...especially for those of us that MooOOOOOve'd along with the 3.8L. Nothing beats the old bulletproof inline 6...wait did I just say that? :like:

Everything about this release is an improvement on what was, from the interior, to the exterior, to the small things such as the Evap relocation to the rear fender area <--- thats very cool btw for those (like me) that broke their JK evap can off the bottom within months of purchasing :giggle:.

The only item that worries me is the CAD system (and its not really a worry...just something I dont want), but I can guarantee aftermarket will delete this concern rather quickly.

Sponsored

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr JL Rubicon, 2016 Corvette Z06
I've ordered a Rubicon. For all that is written about the significant changes with the JLR vs the JKR, the mechanical underpinnings are veterans and proven. The Pentastar engine, 8spd transmission, Dana 44 axles and Rocktrac transfer case have all been around for years. Durability of the new electronics may be an issue, but I'm not too concerned. Quality on new vehicles continues to improve such that first year issues are no longer what they used to be. This will be my third first year production vehicle in the last decade and I've never experienced significant quality issues.

River City Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.RiverCityOffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Triple White - RK 3.5" X-Factor Stage 1 / Steer Smarts / Mickey Thompson / Fuel
Occupation
Owner at River City Offroad
Do you always stay a generation behind on your cell phone?

I don't see anything wrong with buying the first production year of a vehicle. The technology isn't brand new, its been in their other suvs and trucks for years now.

OP
OP

sjappers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, tacoma
Somebody has to do it, and they will probably cost more come year 2 lol

This is why I went fairly barebones on my order. I went with what I know works for upgrades...nothing here during year 1 on the JL (except the touchscreen/infotainment group) is gorund breaking for a Jeep. The 3.6 even though redesigned is a great motor...especially for those of us that MooOOOOOve'd along with the 3.8L. Nothing beats the old bulletproof inline 6...wait did I just say that? :like:

Everything about this release is an improvement on what was, from the interior, to the exterior, to the small things such as the Evap relocation to the rear fender area <--- thats very cool btw for those (like me) that broke their JK evap can off the bottom within months of purchasing :giggle:.

The only item that worries me is the CAD system (and its not really a worry...just something I dont want), but I can guarantee aftermarket will delete this concern rather quickly.
Sorry remind me what CAD is?

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Usually its never a good idea to buy the first year of production after a redesign on a vehicle. For those who have already bought why take that risk? Fore those who have not and are waiting for second year of production what about the JL is giving you concerns? I have heard that chrysler is not known for quality, but had the impression that lately it has improved.
The jeep wrangler is their cash cow for sure. So releasing a new wrangler with problems and recalls would be a huge set back and hard to restore trust from the jeep loyalists once that is broken, and the preception is tarnished? I would think jeep would not release until they where sure the wrangler was solid (they could sell jk's until jl comes out anyways, so why risk it)? So do you think this is a quality re-design based on what is known today?
Even if the JL has problems and recalls which I doubt it will, it will not matter, the JK has been on almost every cars not to buy list, worst quality list and unsafe car list yet somehow it still manages to set sales records and retain extremely high resale value. The coolness of the Wrangler will outweigh any of the negatives listed above, IMO Wrangler owners don't care.

OP
OP

sjappers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, tacoma
Do you always stay a generation behind on your cell phone?

I don't see anything wrong with buying the first production year of a vehicle. The technology isn't brand new, its been in their other suvs and trucks for years now.
LOL....yes I do always stay a year behind on cell phone.. I kept my iphone 4 for 7 years:) I am weird that way..

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I’m also pretty sure even during the initial announcement they said this was there most tested Jeep ever and had already driven over 4 million miles in their testings.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I only want the hybrid dealio if it's seamless with the manual. Come to a stop in gear, it shuts off, push the gas and it starts and goes. (no clutch at stops)
Sponsored