Sponsored

For all the people who have bought/order JL? Why risk first year production of redesign?

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Even if the JL has problems and recalls which I doubt it will, it will not matter, the JK has been on almost every cars not to buy list, worst quality list and unsafe car list yet somehow it still manages to set sales records and retain extremely high resale value. The coolness of the Wrangler will outweigh any of the negatives listed above, IMO Wrangler owners don't care.
It's really because it's judged as any other vehicle : gas milage, wind noise, blah blah blah... and things that every day consumers look at when buying a new vehicle. When people that don't know Jeeps, say "why a Jeep?" I tell them they wouldn't understand. They should have a specialty category for Jeeps and what ever else compares. Furthermore, the funny thing is those trade in values far exceed and do not directly correlate to the "do not buy" reviews!

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I had the old 78 4x4 toy pick up and other than the rattling heat sheild it was awesome, how ever when I bout a new 82 pick up the transmission was crap na I wen tthrough 5 transmissions before dumping it. apparentley the gear shafts rode on bare alluminum casing and failed constantly ---- toyota quality is a perception not a fact. don't ask about my supra or land cruiser.
Funny. After owning 2 Volkswagens, 3 bmw's, 1 Porsche, 2 Audi's, a Ducati, my least reliable car was a Honda Pilot, 1st year no less.

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Grand Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist, Gunsmith and Dumbass Whisperer
Let’s just hope we don’t have a repeat the last time the Wrangler was redesigned.

6164BDD8-6D67-47B2-93BD-C7D178CA0057.jpeg
Surprised the leaking issue wasn’t in the top 3 for complaints. TIPM module was supplier related if memory serves. 2007 and 2008 were serious headache years for my friends in the service department.

There is always a huge issue integrating new tech, seemingly FCA has pulled from other proven parts bins to supply. This will help ease some teething issues, according to the engineers they have been on this project for a good while working out issues from lessons learned on the JK. Let’s hope they didn’t create new issues.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
With all the testing they did on this jeep, I fear the cost reductions more than the first year of production.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Surprised the leaking issue wasn’t in the top 3 for complaints. TIPM module was supplier related if memory serves. 2007 and 2008 were serious headache years for my friends in the service department.

There is always a huge issue integrating new tech, seemingly FCA has pulled from other proven parts bins to supply. This will help ease some teething issues, according to the engineers they have been on this project for a good while working out issues from lessons learned on the JK. Let’s hope they didn’t create new issues.
Don't forget that Chrysler was penny-pinching like crazy at the time the JK came out and clearly did not give two shits about pride, quality, or standing behind their products. The JK didn't really get the attention it deserved until 2010-2011 when Fiat stepped in and admitted the interior was an embarrassing failure.

Chrysler is a totally different company today and the JL is definitely getting the love it deserves.

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
Chrysler is a totally different company today and the JL is definitely getting the love it deserves.
100% - Chrysler was not in a good place when the JK came out, much like AMC before. Chapter 11 a few years after the JK came out.

FCA has the cash on had to do good R and D but QA for the JL.

Unlreated question - I worked a parking both back in the day. Why do all Chrysler minivans circa early 2000s have this clicking plastic sound when stopped? I always wondered.

dwoodwo1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium, Granite
I have a tahoe in its generation’s 5th year. Piece of junk electrical system by 100k miles. I’ll take my chances.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
My 08 JK turned out fine. Lots of them still on the road.

Fred

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2 door Rubicon X in Anvil
After several years of being "Jeepless" I see this as the best Jeep yet and am glad for all the creature comforts and technology. I had the first Rubicon in 2003 and it was an awesome vehicle. I am sure this will be awesome as well. These days no manufacturer will put out a new vehicle that isn't ready.

Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I've been over mine pretty closely, and the only things I found so far, in terms of QC issues, is a very faint color splotch that looks a bit like a fingerprint on the red dash over the glove box. It may just be a grease mark. I tried to wipe it off with a damp cloth, but I may try a little low grade rubbing alcohol. 99.99% of people wouldn't notice it. The other is the clear film they put over the front of the passenger side rear fender flare. It has a corner peeling up, maybe 1/2 a millimeter. I'm just going to carefully trim it off. I was thrilled they put that protection there. That's it, so far. I'd rank it as the best I've seen on initial inspection of any new vehicle I've owned. That ain't bad! I'll continue to go over it, though.

I did notice something nice, while closely inspecting. They put chip resistant paint on the inside of the tailgate. My JK has been chipped, battered, and bruised there, so this is a very welcome addition!
I saw that film on the flares too! The corner is a little up on mine too. I may get some real film on all fenders in the near future.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Even a recall or two won't be a big deal to me, if they aren't for crazy issues. I've had a couple recalls on the JK, for things like the airbag pressure module and the clock spring. No biggie, in and out on both. That doesn't make it a failure. You'd still have to pull that JK out of my cold, dead hands.

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Nothing wrong with recalls within reason, all depends on how the manufacturer handles them....

Even a recall or two won't be a big deal to me, if they aren't for crazy issues. I've had a couple recalls on the JK, for things like the airbag pressure module and the clock spring. No biggie, in and out on both. That doesn't make it a failure. You'd still have to pull that JK out of my cold, dead hands.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
I had a first year JK, and while it had plenty of problems, nothing broke that was fixed in '08. Heck, they didn't fix any of my issues until '12...