Sponsored

For all the people who have bought/order JL? Why risk first year production of redesign?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Because I've waited 23 years since my last one and I'm done waiting.
I hear you! it's been 16 years since I gave up mine. I'm ready!
Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I am trying to hold out for 2019 to see if the diesel will be available for two door Wranglers. If not, fuck Jeep, and I'll have enough info at that time to choose between 3.6L and 2.0L. Plus half doors should be released in 2019 as well and I love the way they look. I'm just hoping mojito is still available for 2019s, if not I might just have to order a 2018 anyways.

I've had a few first year vehicles and haven't run into an issue(s) yet. In fact my current daily is a first model year; its 7 years old, 102k miles, zero issues for the 6 years I've owned it.

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
1) It's a jeep - if there's an issue there will be a fix from FCA or aftermarket or some forum poster
2) This has been well tested vehicle
3) The 3.6 is solid
4) I trust Dana axles
5) xfer case is the same for rubi - its solid
6) In general, tolerances for parts are higher than a typical car
7) If it breaks, perhaps an opportunity to upgrade
8) Despite what the internet says, modern cars are much more reliable than past

At the end of the day, even with new electronics, it's still simple square box that moves with solid axels.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
@jeppesen.io is right. It is made up of solid, proven stuff. The Aisin transmission is Japanese, and Toyota is the majority owner, if that makes anyone feel better.

This isn't a radical redesign. It is a strong evolution. Besides, I'm not taking a risk. I bought the Maxcare lifetime warranty. It covers everything but wear items, so no worries for me. I may drive it right into retirement, which is at least 15 years away.

The quality of this thing appears to be excellent. I'll be going over it with a fine toothed comb, but I rode over some rough roads tonight and it feels sollid as a steel ingot. No rattles, no unusual noises, smooth, and quiet. It just feels great!

OP
OP

sjappers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, tacoma
@jeppesen.io is right. It is made up of solid, proven stuff. The Aisin transmission is Japanese, and Toyota is the majority owner, if that makes anyone feel better.

This isn't a radical redesign. It is a strong evolution. Besides, I'm not taking a risk. I bought the Maxcare lifetime warranty. It covers everything but wear items, so no worries for me. I may drive it right into retirement, which is at least 15 years away.

The quality of this thing appears to be excellent. I'll be going over it with a fine toothed comb, but I rode over some rough roads tonight and it feels sollid as a steel ingot. No rattles, no unusual noises, smooth, and quiet. It just feels great!
what is the Maxcare lifetime warranty? this something jeep offers?

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
what is the Maxcare lifetime warranty? this something jeep offers?
Yep. They have several takes on it. I think zero deductible, 100, 200, 300? I took the 200 for 2700 bucks. I just lost an engine in my Ford van to the tune of 13,000 dollars (Long story, wouldn't be a warranty issue, and I didn't have to pay for it, but it shows you what a new modern Ecoboost engine costs to replace) and my JK had the transmission replaced for nothing at 116k, thanks to the lifetime warranty. I think it is worth it because I'm planning to keep this thing until it dies. My JK is 10 years old and hasn't reached its half life. It looks and feels new. I wouldn't even consider it otherwise. I think they came down from like 3400 or something on it. In my mind I was shooting for $2600, so I wasn't far off. Heck, my JK just had O2 sensors and heater core hoses replaced, and the rear parking brake fixed for $1200. All that stuff would be covered by the Maxcare warranty. It covers MUCH more than my JK lifetime powertrane warranty.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Usually its never a good idea to buy the first year of production after a redesign on a vehicle.
True. Nothing beats the testing of the owner community. True, the Wrangler is a new vehicle that despite all its testing, and all the proven ability of many its components, still has to integrate those components successfully.

For those who have already bought why take that risk?
Because their desire to have that vehicle now, rather than later, exceeds their own risk profile for being a 1.0 model owner. Of this group I'm sure some threw some caution into the wind, maybe too much so, while others calculated their own aversion to risk, the likelihood they felt problems would surface, and the likelihood if they did that FCA would address them.

While I completely agree FCA has much at stake in fixing any issues that may appear, rest assured that as problems may surface, that FCA has their actuaries figuring out the costs of various reactions FCA can take, from nothing, to denial, to complete acknowledgement and addressing of issues, either in the vehicle or the next model year.

We can expect in such situations that FCA responds somewhere between turning their back, and truly putting the customer first after sale. As we all know, people buy Wranglers despite the many deficiencies people report: deficiencies many of us would not tolerate in, say, many sedans, and perhaps precisely because of all the good that comes from the Wrangler in not being a sedan.

Fore those who have not and are waiting for second year of production what about the JL is giving you concerns?
I can only speak for myself, all as I know others feel some of this stuff too. A new vehicle has so many moving parts that increase the likelihood of something not only failing, but not being detected as problematic before public release. For all of FCAs testing, and I think it was extremely thorough, nothing beats getting a problem to surface when a wider audience gets its hands on a product that they use for longer periods of time. Components may have miscalculated MTBFs (mean time between failure) metrics, or their integration with other components may have miscalculated system MTBFs, that prove inflated, only after enough time using them reveals their premature fatigue.[/QUOTE]

I have heard that chrysler is not known for quality, but had the impression that lately it has improved.
I hope so. Quality assurance testing, like addressing defects after sale are numbers fueled decisions. For money you can get better testing. The actuaries develop models that predict defect improvement for testing dollars spent, and what the better customer experience translates into in dollars not lost in both servicing problems and consumer good will lost.

The jeep wrangler is their cash cow for sure. So releasing a new wrangler with problems and recalls would be a huge set back and hard to restore trust from the jeep loyalists once that is broken, and the preception is tarnished?
All true, but not FCAs end goal. FCAs end goal is profit, and they'll make trade offs in the above you mention if the dollars saved are predicted to be greater than the dollars they spend, if any, dealing with issues that might have not arisen in more costly testing.

And yet still more, rest assured that FCA found problems that they're not talking about in the JL because the likelihood of their occurring, severity, cost of repair, and likelihood that such problems can be traced back to them as opposed to operator error (remember the brakes on Toyotas) has been shown by actuaries to best be left undiscussed. See the movie Class Action for more on that.

I would think jeep would not release until they where sure the wrangler was solid (they could sell jk's until jl comes out anyways, so why risk it)?
And I would know, not think (and not to be obnoxious but to make a point) that FCA would not release the new JL until their actuaries provided them with concrete evidence demonstrating that whatever problems were uncovered, that the cost of fixing them, or holding up the release, was greater than dealing with them another day. That is the profiteers definition of the "solid" you describe. It differs from, and is less than NASAs, in part because of this agency's more "not for profit" mission: despite this agency's devotion to their craft and failures.

None if this is directed against FCA. All automakers do this. All astute makers of product do this to some extent or another. I believe in the quality of the JL, I don't necessarily think next year's version will have significantly less risk in ownership, but at the end of the day, only you can determine what factors speak to you most, and their monetary value.

So do you think this is a quality re-design based on what is known today?
I do! I think in large part FCA ironed out testing bugs and will stand by those it hasn't.

Last edited:

Rosco P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless at the moment.
First year or not, it will be much much better than my JK. I want a better jeep. Every time I have to wait through the ridiculous prompt to answer the phone I die a little inside.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I can say this...This thing just feels of high quality. I haven't seen mine in the daylight yet, but I'll be going over it with a fine-toothed comb today. The silver one they had at my dealership was perfect, among the things I looked at closely. I didn't see a flaw on it.

Scottroxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Occupation
Poet
Vehicle Showcase
Usually its never a good idea to buy the first year of production after a redesign on a vehicle.
Is there any real data to support that claim? I bought the jku as soon as it came out with no real issues, I did however have issues with my 2012. This is the most tested Jeep ever and when they do come out with a new wrangler the design is around for 10 years. They are also under warranty.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Is there any real data to support that claim? I bought the jku as soon as it came out with no real issues, I did however have issues with my 2012. This is the most tested Jeep ever and when they do come out with a new wrangler the design is around for 10 years. They are also under warranty.

It's an excellent question to which I don't have the answer without research. Perhaps others do. Still more, you bring up the point of relative risk: who's to say that release 1.0 of a vehicle will prove more problematic than a/Scottroxxx's specific 2012 VIN.

Yet more, I wouldn't be surprised if the ratio of testing in model 1.0, divided by its changes, is a higher number than testing of release year 5 of a production cycle, over say year 4, i.e. the JK (your rig), divided by its changes, simply because more media attention lies with the change in model, over the change in model year.

For clarity:

testing $ / number of changes

is the ratio I discuss.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
I think this was more of an issue back in the 70's and 80's. Manufacturing processes have improved a lot since then. I bought a first year, 2005 Toyota Tacoma, never had a problem with it. Yeah, it was a Toyota, but still.

Plus, it isn't like they are using components that haven't been proven in past versions of the Wrangler and other vehicles.

jb2980

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon; 2017 Explorer XLT; 2013 Shelby GT500; 1985 Mustang GT
This was more of an urban legend without too much data to support it, and not really true in 2018 -- it may have more of a legitimate concern through the 1980s and earlier, particularly for American automakers. New designs were not tested the way they are now and they didn't have the benefit of computer modeling. Production line quality was also questionable (think union job in the 1970s...) Non-Japanese cars of that era were lucky to reach 100k (especially a 70s/80s GM), now that's almost nothing and an expectation for any model car. Poorly engineered and unreliable cars aside, I'm not sure you would find many cases of it being a first year issue rather than they were all built like that for the entire run. That said, like others have posted as issues/customer complaints are noted small improvements are sometimes made later in the model's life cycle, but are usually not major design faults.

New vehicle warranties cover most major items and can be extended. If a manufacturer is willing to stand behind the vehicle until 100k for only a couple grand extra for the extended plan -- it probably indicates they don't expect major issues.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I'm not pulling the trigger yet on the JL simply because, for me, it's purchase will be as a replacement for another old vehicle still running, the end of whose useful life is a mystery. It could go in 5 weeks or 5 years depending upon (like I imagine for any of us) what problems surface, and their cost to repair.

So could I end up ordering a model year 1 JL: yes. And in my mind the metaphorical balance scale here has on one side the idea that with the attention of the new model came extensive testing and FCA's willingness to service issues because eyes are on them right now, versus the engineering reality that when you assembly an entirely new rig, despite all testing, problems can go undetected until the public gets its hands on it.

For what its worth though, the old vehicle mentioned above is a 2003 Honda Pilot: the first year of the vehicle's production: which knock on wood, has shown me little grief.

OP
OP

sjappers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, tacoma
Well yea just a tad:) I am a part of design team at a large company, and am very familiar with our own designs and designs we use from other vendors. Regardless of what you are designing the first production run on a new design statistically is going to have issues (there are outliers but not of any consequence). We also have teams that look at the auto industry reliability/quality (and many more data types) comparisons since they are one of the most mature industries (best data for us to use).
Sponsored