stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S 4 Door
So,

How in the heck do you remove the fog light wiring harness from the plastic bumper? I know the bumper shell must be removed from the bumper support or steel frame. I can't see how to remove it?
Sponsored

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
So,

How in the heck do you remove the fog light wiring harness from the plastic bumper? I know the bumper shell must be removed from the bumper support or steel frame. I can't see how to remove it?
You have to unscrew all of the 15-20 little bolts/screws around the top and bottom of the bumper. Basically, you completely disassemble the bumper to get to the harness. You have to lift off the steel plating and remove the tow hooks too. When you see the harness, you then pull out about 10 little plugs that hold it in place, it's a real PITA. I did this last week so I could reuse my stock plastic bumper wiring harness and fogs on a Rubicon steel bumper (with an adapter which works beautifully btw). Good luck but it can be done.

OP
OP
stuckinohio

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you happen to have pics of where these little screws are? I've looked and looked but I don't see any. Are there any pictured in the picture above?

I just used a large pry bar and forced the plastic and steel parts apart far enough to pull the harness out. Just got it but I'd like to see where the screws are.

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you happen to have pics of where these little screws are? I've looked and looked but I don't see any. Are there any pictured in the picture above?

I just used a large pry bar and forced the plastic and steel parts apart far enough to pull the harness out. Just got it but I'd like to see where the screws are.
Didn't take pictures. There are screws at the top of the bumper and also those little clips that come out with a flathead screwdriver. Basically anything that looks like a screw or clip you remove it and then everything comes out nicely. No crowbar was needed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
stuckinohio

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man, I sure can't see anything left that can be removed. Do you happen to see any of them in the pic above?

And thanks for the quick response BTW!

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man, I sure can't see anything left that can be removed. Do you happen to see any of them in the pic above?

And thanks for the quick response BTW!
That picture above, the steel plate needs to come off and, if you flip the bumper up so that it's sitting like it would on the bumper, there are screws/clips attached to the top and bottom that can't be seen from the angle of the picture. I can take a picture of my old plastic bumper when I get home but yeah, I literally asked myself, am I really supposed to take every little screw and clip off, even when it looks like it doesn't apply to the harness? Yeah, I did.

OP
OP
stuckinohio

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah. I struggled with the steel plate removal and couldn't get it removed. Apparently because I didn't remove these mythical screws that must only appear if you say a secret password!

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
So,

You have to take the whole thing apart. PITA, but not difficult, just lots of clips and screws.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
you have to remove all the screws and the clips like other have said they are all over the place, on the top the bottom and on the backside

also the threaded bolts that mount the bumper to the frame are pressed into the tow hooks and they are held on by retainers clips to the steel backing plate. I was able to just clip the zip ties in side the bumper after removed the screws and clips but cut up my arm some good

Sponsored

OP
OP
stuckinohio

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow. I searched and searched for blood and screws that might come out to no avail. At this point I don't need to but I feel like I have to figure it out!

Everyone is referencing the plastic bumper like this one correct?

20180713_162709.jpg

OP
OP
stuckinohio

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If anyone happens to have a pic of some of these screws that need removed, I think it would benefit everyone who does this in the future.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
‘Merica
021CCD73-22B2-46EC-8FD7-AC9DA27A1927.jpeg
Wow. I searched and searched for blood and screws that might come out to no avail. At this point I don't need to but I feel like I have to figure it out!

Everyone is referencing the plastic bumper like this one correct?

20180713_162709.jpg
Is that a sport bumper? This is a Sahara.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
‘Merica
What bumper are you installing?

OP
OP
stuckinohio

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a sport so I'm wondering if they are different inside.

I just got the Rockhard Aluminum full width installed

20180913_174426.jpg
Sponsored