Fog and spot combo?

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
does anyone make a light that can be used as street legal for fog and switches to off road spot or flood?
Sponsored

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
does anyone make a light that can be used as street legal for fog and switches to off road spot or flood?
ooh, I hat would be cool. I want to say that if you are looking for SAE street legal, then NO. HOWEVER, Baja Designs makes a hi/low feature for their 6" and 9" LP Series. I also have the XL80’S that can dim to 50% brightness. I think a mix of both features is what we would want to see in a 3" ish (squadron)option.

I mean maybe the XL80 that has dimming would be good enough but the only have a combo lens or spot lens.
#bajadesigns

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
ooh, I hat would be cool. I want to say that if you are looking for SAE street legal, then NO. HOWEVER, Baja Designs makes a hi/low feature for their 6" and 9" LP Series. I also have the XL80’S that can dim to 50% brightness. I think a mix of both features is what we would want to see in a 3" ish (squadron)option.

I mean maybe the XL80 that has dimming would be good enough but the only have a combo lens or spot lens.
#bajadesigns
yeah, I have a set of the rigid d series spots and they are great. Just wish I could use them for fogs too.

NMPirate

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old go-cart from 1973
Occupation
King Shit of Turd Island
Check KC Flex lights. They have an amber cover that can be removed. Don't know if the off road brightness is what your looking for. They have a new design of the Flex lights that are triangular and you can even change the beam pattern with a snap on lens.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
You want your fogs down low and spots up high/er. Spots will work on a bumper, but depending on the degree of beam spread they usually work better up higher.

IMO you want two sets of lights. The Diode Dynamics are supposedly the current best for an SAE fog light replacement. I just ordered up a couple sets of these. Then like Obi Wan said, maybe a pair of LP9's.

Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
was just looking for the same thing.. found something of that nature or what seemed like it but can't tell if its street legal here.... maybe in Europe.. the product said is for a VW if I remember correctly

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Baja Designs carries street legal versions of some of their models. They have the "SAE" designation. I've seen plenty of lights from different companies that has a high/low function, but nothing that caters to both street legal and offroad in the same housing. Like mentioned earlier, multiple sets will be required to cover both purposes.

Dewey7015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 door, hardtop, 6 speed.
was just looking for the same thing.. found something of that nature or what seemed like it but can't tell if its street legal here.... maybe in Europe.. the product said is for a VW if I remember correctly
I went with ebay replacement bulbs for the stock fog lights...they are LED. when you turn them on, they are white. turn them off, then on again, and they are amber/fog. I like the clean look of stock, but knowing they are there. I changed out the headlight bulbs for LED, angled them down, and don't get flashed at all. (i did, but i think adding the rubi shocks/springs from a 4 door, to my 2 door, caused some of that). i can't remember the name of the product, but i searched dual fog/amber. And paid around $50
hope this helps

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon

#bajadesigns
The low setting on the LP’s will still melt the face off of any oncoming traffic. Those things are insanely bright.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I went with ebay replacement bulbs for the stock fog lights...they are LED. when you turn them on, they are white. turn them off, then on again, and they are amber/fog. I like the clean look of stock, but knowing they are there. I changed out the headlight bulbs for LED, angled them down, and don't get flashed at all. (i did, but i think adding the rubi shocks/springs from a 4 door, to my 2 door, caused some of that). i can't remember the name of the product, but i searched dual fog/amber. And paid around $50
hope this helps
Will look into it, Thnx

Sponsored

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
The low setting on the LP’s will still melt the face off of any oncoming traffic. Those things are insanely bright.
Agreed, it's not "low power", it's the lower wide spread LEDs that light up. So effectively two separate light sources in one housing. I think a lot of people do not understand this (and subsequently not wiring them up).

Last edited:

ohsobad21

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 SRT8 Grand Cherokee, 2018 JLU Rubicon

#bajadesigns
I just put on the XL80s... how do they dim?

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
I just put on the XL80s... how do they dim?
Apparently the green wire needs to be switched to ground. By tapping the green wire to a ground source will trigger the dimming. I have never done it but that's what I got from the website.

ohsobad21

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 SRT8 Grand Cherokee, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Apparently the green wire needs to be switched to ground. By tapping the green wire to a ground source will trigger the dimming. I have never done it but that's what I got from the website.
not to sound dumb but how do you activate the dimming feature at that point?