FOB Programming

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport-S-KIA; 2020 JLU Rubicon
I have a left over FOB from a 2018JLU that got totaled. I now have a 2020 Rubicon. The FOBs look the same. Does anybody know if I can have the 2018 FOB reprogrammed to work with the 2020? I know the physical key will be different.
Sponsored

OP
OP
benb

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport-S-KIA; 2020 JLU Rubicon
When i had a JK the process to add another key (you needed to had two working keys) was in the manual but that had a physical key rather than push start. If you only had one key then the dealer would have to do it

Couldnt hurt to check if you havent already though

https://cdn.dealereprocess.org/cdn/servicemanuals/jeep/2018-wrangler.pdf
Thanks for the link. I should have read the manual. It looks like once a FOB has been programmed to a vehicle it can't be changed. Only blank FOBs can be programmed.

FirecrackerRedJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Thanks for the link. I should have read the manual. It looks like once a FOB has been programmed to a vehicle it can't be changed. Only blank FOBs can be programmed.
They have to be initialized and set into programming you can try holding fob up to the push start button to see if it will acknowledge it but chances are it won’t. Usually always have to be programmed into the immobilizer

RoadNomad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
According to the dealership, NO.
When I originally purchased my JLU used it only came with one FOB, the second was never turned in by the original owner. I purchased a new second one and had it programmed and the lost one was programmed out.

I was messing around with the data in u-connect and the original's owners info was there. I tracked him down. He was happy his old jeep found a good home to my surprise, he offered up the remote. Needless to say I jumped at the offer. What was funny I asked him why he never gave it to the dealership. He said they were such dicks and really screwed him over on the deal he made for a new Challenger he just kept it and told them he lost it. haha

Anyway, I noticed it no longer worked with the car and took it to the service dept to have it re-programmed so I could use it. I was told once a remote has been programmed to a vehicle it cannot be erased and re-used on another of if programmed out not on the original vehicle either.

Sounds like bull but they would not even try it so I would tend to believe it as they missed an opportunity to make some easy money.

Then again, the service department in ABQ is not that good.

rk911

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wrangler Sport 2D, '10 Liberty, '46 Willys
Occupation
Retired and loving it!
I've seen ads for independents that claim they can program a FOB. Have you looked into that? Unless you're in a remote area with no other options dealers are not the beginning and end of service for our Jeeps.

Found this online
And this
And this

Admitted.y I am new to keyless entry... All of my previous Jeeps and oir current 2010 Liberty use traditional keys. But I believe there is more than one way to solve a proble,.

Good luck.
Sponsored