Fob doesn't work below freezing?

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
So yesterday, it happened a SECOND TIME. I mistakenly left my Fob in the Jeep ('19 Wrangler Sport) overnight. The temp dipped to a whopping 31 degrees. (Around here on Cape Cod, some people are still wearing shorts at 31 degrees.) I got up, went out to start the vehicle and nothing. The information center said, "No fob detected," when there it was, plain as day, on the passanger seat. I got my second fob out of the house, started the car and went to work. Yeah, yeah, I know I shouldn't have left it there over night. But if I'd left an old fashioned KEY on the seat overnight, I could have started my car. Again, this is the second time and I am not talking about Alaska cold. Seriously? A fob can't take 31 degrees??
Sponsored

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
So yesterday, it happened a SECOND TIME. I mistakenly left my Fob in the Jeep ('19 Wrangler Sport) overnight. The temp dipped to a whopping 31 degrees. (Around here on Cape Cod, some people are still wearing shorts at 31 degrees.) I got up, went out to start the vehicle and nothing. The information center said, "No fob detected," when there it was, plain as day, on the passanger seat. I got my second fob out of the house, started the car and went to work. Yeah, yeah, I know I shouldn't have left it there over night. But if I'd left an old fashioned KEY on the seat overnight, I could have started my car. Again, this is the second time and I am not talking about Alaska cold. Seriously? A fob can't take 31 degrees??
Hey Bill - Mine did the same thing a few days ago in 45 degree weather !

I had to go inside to get my 2nd FOB

That's not right

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Did you guys try to push the start button with the edge of the fob?

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door
Key fob battery?

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Or does the rig recognize the fob has been in the rig for a long time without being started and assumes you forgot it so ignores it.

Is temperature correlated and not casual.

Sponsored

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Did you guys try to push the start button with the edge of the fob?
Our battery became very intermittent and stopped last week (ours is an 18)As I was driving I suddenly got FOB has left the vehicle. We ended up using the side FOB method and it worked great

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Or does the rig recognize the fob has been in the rig for a long time without being started and assumes you forgot it so ignores it.

Is temperature correlated and not casual.
Yes and No. Ours was working and we left it in the jeep and when it got cold it did this. It was because the battery was actually at the end of its life span. It would come and go

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You don't need the battery to be functional in the fob in order to start your Jeep.

"In case the ignition switch does not change with the push of a button, the key fob may have a low or depleted battery. In this situation, a back up method can be used to operate the ignition switch. Put the nose side of the key fob (side with the mechanical key) against the START/STOP ignition button and push to operate the ignition switch." (page 23 of my .pdf manual.)

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Most likely the battery, did you try to lock and unlock the vehicle with the FOB? That would be a good indication of the FOB connecting, not a good habit of leaving it in a vehicle unattended...

Reactions: GtX

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
You may try taking the fob outside the vehicle and using it to lock/unlock it. Then the fob will work again (makes the vehicle “recognize” the fob again. Also, Please don’t leave your key fob in your Jeep. That’s a real good way to have a lot of meetings with the local police and the insurance company after someone decides they want it more than you do. I suspect your insurance provider will be less than thrilled with you for leaving the key in it....😏

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Batteries that are being stored, not connected to a circuit, have a longer shelf life in the cold. Batteriea connected to a circuit have a tendency to drain quicker in the cold.

This time of year, I keep my cellphone in an inside pocket and close to my chest. Battery easily lasts all day. On the belt holster, it drains like when I'm on here, playing with my jeep friends.

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
We travel in a motorhome & prior to my new 21 JL my towed vehicle required the fob to be in the car while towing. When we stop for the night I've forgot to retrieve the fob from the car plenty of times. After a cold night fob would pretty much NEVER work. I believe (guess) the cold saps the tiny button battery. Not just a Jeep think My Fords did that also.

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
Put a battery in it and move on to your next tragedy. No big deal. My wife's new durango had a low fob battery 2 months past purchace.