Fluid Leak Under Front Differential

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The last thread I read where a guy had this issue, it turned out to be the plastic oil filter housing gasket was leaking and the oil was dripping onto, and dripping off of the front diff.
surely someone checked to see what type of fluid it is. Right?

OP
OP
Bad Scott

Bad Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I'm missing something here. Why don't you try to find the source of the leaking fluid yourself, instead of going back and forth to the dealer? Should be very easy to drive it up to temp, park it. Put a clean white paper under it, check it from time to time and once it starts leaking, carefully trace it to the source. It is likely something simple like a plug or hose fitting or gasket.

Also, put that Jeep in 4HI (wheels straight) to spin that front diff. Try 4LO and lockers, make sure all works well with no noise.

Techs prob gets 0.2hr time to work on it. They need to do something get it out, get paid. If they spend 15 min on it they are losing money. Sad, but true, find the source yourself.
The last thread I read where a guy had this issue, it turned out to be the plastic oil filter housing gasket was leaking and the oil was dripping onto, and dripping off of the front diff.
No, you’re being stubborn. Dealerships are absolute trash.
No, I'm being persistent because I should get what I pay for. If you bought a new washing machine and it didn't fill with water would you just start tearing it apart? I don't think so...Dealerships are supposed to be filled with ASME certified technicians (the best of the best). There is no excuse for all of the issues I've encountered (many more than just diff fluid).

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
No, I'm being persistent because I should get what I pay for. If you bought a new washing machine and it didn't fill with water would you just start tearing it apart? I don't think so...Dealerships are supposed to be filled with ASME certified technicians (the best of the best). There is no excuse for all of the issues I've encountered (many more than just diff fluid).
There are no ASE certified techs working on a differential fluid leak.

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
What did it smell like?
This is actually a great question. I put on new diff covers last weekend and it stunk up the garage. Is there sulphur in it?

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
This is actually a great question. I put on new diff covers last weekend and it stunk up the garage. Is there sulphur in it?
Yes. Differential fluid has quite a bit of sulfur.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

Time is always more valuable than money. I get a kick of people who spend days on end taking a vehicle back and forth to the dealer on that principle of "getting what you paid for".

I'll gladly fix a trivial issue on my dime to avoid wasting time at dealers.

But hey, good luck sticking it to the dealers. I hope they find and fix the problem for you on the next visit.

OP
OP
Bad Scott

Bad Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE: So, I took my poor Rubicon back to the dealer service center AGAIN on Thursday 9/23/2021 to address the front differential leak issue for the third time (Trip #21). After looking at it for a day the service person called me and said (get this) "The axle is too porous...we'll have to order you a new axle and have it replaced". Now I may not know everything about Jeep maintenance but this is the first time I've ever heard that an axle was "...too porous". Sounds like they either stripped out the drain plug or they're running an elaborate warranty scam.

I would consider taking my vehicle to another service center, but the next closest one is an hour away.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
After looking at it for a day the service person called me and said (get this) "The axle is too porous...we'll have to order you a new axle and have it replaced".

Now I may not know everything about Jeep maintenance but this is the first time I've ever heard that an axle was "...too porous". Sounds like they either stripped out the drain plug or they're running an elaborate warranty scam.
Some years ago, my brother in law had the engine on his Harley dresser replaced under warranty. He noticed both legs of his jeans were lightly coated in engine oil after a particular ride. The dealer's service dept. determined that the rear cylinder had a porous casting from the factory. After the engine reached operating temperature, the porosity was just sufficient to maintain proper oil pressure, while concurrently allowing that pressure to slowly force a fine mist of oil through the cylinder. The replacement engine solved everything.

So, if it had me that was told that my Jeep had a porous axle, I'd probably go along with it. This is doubly true if the warranty would seamlessly cover all parts & labor expenses. (I say this respectfully, Scott; I don't mean to make light of the time you've invested in this matter.)

benny_rt2

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 YJ - 1999 TJ - 2004 TJ
I think when jeep began selling $70k wranglers they lost their original target audience. Some new jeep owners (I'm not kocking on the OP, but it is kindof humerous) are not the types who enjoy being on their backs of a garage floor looking up at the underside of their $70k jeep that is leaking with hand prints on the diff cover 😀 . My dad and nephew kindof fit those categories... one is 76 yrs old and the other is 27 yrs old. One is a little too old to crawl on their backs... the other just doesn't want to. I won't judge too harshly though, but did laugh at reading about the sloppy diff cover with hand prints and the concern over it.

I also can appreciate the frustration at a bad service dealership not resolving a simple issue. I'd keep searching for a different dealer if I had that experience.

But if you do decide to crawl under your jeep more, remember that Jeep wranglers are one of the more pleasurable vehicles to work on from home. I look forward to it, like mowing or caring for a yard.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
UPDATE: So, I took my poor Rubicon back to the dealer service center AGAIN on Thursday 9/23/2021 to address the front differential leak issue for the third time (Trip #21). After looking at it for a day the service person called me and said (get this) "The axle is too porous...we'll have to order you a new axle and have it replaced". Now I may not know everything about Jeep maintenance but this is the first time I've ever heard that an axle was "...too porous". Sounds like they either stripped out the drain plug or they're running an elaborate warranty scam.

I would consider taking my vehicle to another service center, but the next closest one is an hour away.
That sounds completely insane but I’m sure that will probably fix it.

OP
OP
Bad Scott

Bad Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some years ago, my brother in law had the engine on his Harley dresser replaced under warranty. He noticed both legs of his jeans were lightly coated in engine oil after a particular ride. The dealer's service dept. determined that the rear cylinder had a porous casting from the factory. After the engine reached operating temperature, the porosity was just sufficient to maintain proper oil pressure, while concurrently allowing that pressure to slowly force a fine mist of oil through the cylinder. The replacement engine solved everything.

So, if it had me that was told that my Jeep had a porous axle, I'd probably go along with it. This is doubly true if the warranty would seamlessly cover all parts & labor expenses. (I say this respectfully, Scott; I don't mean to make light of the time you've invested in this matter.)
Thanks James, I really just thought this was something they made up to cover their tracks...

FYI...I just picked up my ride and sure enough, they replaced the whole front axle assembly. And I did end up getting a clean unblemished diff cover in the process. "Thank you Jesus!" Time to drive!

OP
OP
Bad Scott

Bad Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think when jeep began selling $70k wranglers they lost their original target audience. Some new jeep owners (I'm not kocking on the OP, but it is kindof humerous) are not the types who enjoy being on their backs of a garage floor looking up at the underside of their $70k jeep that is leaking with hand prints on the diff cover 😀 . My dad and nephew kindof fit those categories... one is 76 yrs old and the other is 27 yrs old. One is a little too old to crawl on their backs... the other just doesn't want to. I won't judge too harshly though, but did laugh at reading about the sloppy diff cover with hand prints and the concern over it.

I also can appreciate the frustration at a bad service dealership not resolving a simple issue. I'd keep searching for a different dealer if I had that experience.

But if you do decide to crawl under your jeep more, remember that Jeep wranglers are one of the more pleasurable vehicles to work on from home. I look forward to it, like mowing or caring for a yard.
Hi Benny,

It's not that I don't like to work on my own vehicles. It's just that I'm getting older and some of these repairs are costly so I'm just taking advantage of my warranty protection. It just sucks to go through all of these unusual and crazy repairs.

I've restored and modified many rides in my day. I've painted cars, rebuilt engines, pulled axles and transmissions apart, burnt my hands with molten metal from a cutting torch, had rust fall in my eyes from an old muffler, grabbed a live coil wire, and drag raced just to name a few. Drove my first Jeep in the Army and finally saved up enough money to purchase one.

I like my Rubicon. She's like an good friend who's going through trials and tribulations. She just needs somebody to stand by her and give her a little support.
Sponsored