Fluid film rust protection?

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Does the smell get inside the Jeep? Don't really want to deal with a chemical Vapor smell especially with asthma.
I'm very sensitive to smells and smells to trigger allergies/asthma in me. In saying that, the smell did not bother me. It wasn't an obnoxious chemical smell but rather a more earthy smell. Like imagine driving past a sheep farm. That's the smell. I wouldn't buy cologne in that scent, but I didn't think it was all as bad as people made it to be.

I also didn't smell it inside the jeep after it burned off the exhaust. I wasn't too careful about where it landed and I applied it pretty liberally.
Sponsored

CopperMtnGuy

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler, 2005 KJ
Fluid film works great for cavities, but not on surfaces. It washes away easily on flat surfaces (like frame rails etc). I fill the frame rails with fluid film with a 3' piece of tubing and then make sure the outside of the frame (or anywhere else) is painted well. Fluid film smells like lanolin, smells for about a week after applying it, but then goes away. My 05 KJ looks new underneath.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
Fluid film works great for cavities, but not on surfaces. It washes away easily on flat surfaces (like frame rails etc). I fill the frame rails with fluid film with a 3' piece of tubing and then make sure the outside of the frame (or anywhere else) is painted well. Fluid film smells like lanolin, smells for about a week after applying it, but then goes away. My 05 KJ looks new underneath.
Sounds like the CRC stuff is the way to go for the surfaces?

fspalt

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I went with the CRC. You can get a 6 pack for less than $60 on Amazon. I took it to my dealer on the first oil change and they charged me 1 he labor to wipe down and coat everything on the underside. Almost 1 year in with Maryland winter road salt and driving on Delaware beaches with no appreciable rust. Also one other benefit over fluid film is it hardens after a week or so. So it won’t run or attract sand / dirt. That was the deciding factor for me.

CRC 06026 Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor, 10 Wt Oz (6 Pack) https://a.co/d/fk78XUt

Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
So at the risk of getting flak for this: Why not just get it Ziebart'd underneath and be done with it?

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So at the risk of getting flak for this: Why not just get it Ziebart'd underneath and be done with it?
No flack... Unless things have changed, I thought Ziebart used a rubberized undercoating. After a few years, the rubberized undercoatings have a history of cracking and then allowing water (and salt/saltwater/brine) in. When that happens, rust growth gets accelerated and makes it worst.

As for the CFC, that's an interesting product. Living one year with fluid film, I know how dirty you get from working on it when you need to. I also don't have any experience with mud/sand yet, but plan on reporting in back in about a month to see how it works out. I'm *hoping* that maybe it won't stick or fall off in the heat. I end up pressure washing the undercarriage when I get back, so hopefully that will help.

I'm surprised the dealer did it for you. I've heard mixed things about the dealer voiding warranties on jeeps that have undercoating, fluid film, or any sort of oil on them. Don't know if it's just rumors or what.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
No flack... Unless things have changed, I thought Ziebart used a rubberized undercoating. After a few years, the rubberized undercoatings have a history of cracking and then allowing water (and salt/saltwater/brine) in. When that happens, rust growth gets accelerated and makes it worst.

As for the CFC, that's an interesting product. Living one year with fluid film, I know how dirty you get from working on it when you need to. I also don't have any experience with mud/sand yet, but plan on reporting in back in about a month to see how it works out. I'm *hoping* that maybe it won't stick or fall off in the heat. I end up pressure washing the undercarriage when I get back, so hopefully that will help.

I'm surprised the dealer did it for you. I've heard mixed things about the dealer voiding warranties on jeeps that have undercoating, fluid film, or any sort of oil on them. Don't know if it's just rumors or what.
A lot of dealers in my area have partnered with Ziebart for discounts on that sort of thing and will even roll it into your payments if you want. It's just an add-on like tire/glass protection. I'll talk to my local dealer and see what they think about undercoating.

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
I do the same regime as others and don't have any regrets. Yeah there is a smell for about a week but I don't find it bad. The only downside is that if you do any work on it, prepare to get dirty, as the fluid film where get everywhere on you.

I sprayed mine last year in October or November after owning the Jeep for 6 months. I didn't see any rust on it, but did it to prevent it. I've seen other Jeeps on facebook that had a lot of surface rust a year into ownership. Sure, it's only surface rust, but I'd rather be rust free. A year into ownership, I still don't see any surface rust and everything still looks great.
Do you need to clean surfaces well before spraying or just knock off any built up dirt?

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you need to clean surfaces well before spraying or just knock off any built up dirt?
I cleaned the surfaces with a pressure washer and one of those undercarriage sprayers. I tried to get as much dirt and sand out as I can. I flushed the frame rail with water until it ran clear and I didn't feel any dirt inside.

I have heard that dirt clumbs aren't a huge problem, as the fluid film penetrates through it and the dirt helps protect it more. To me personally, it seemed a little weird so I just got it as clean as I can.

Sponsored

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
I cleaned the surfaces with a pressure washer and one of those undercarriage sprayers. I tried to get as much dirt and sand out as I can. I flushed the frame rail with water until it ran clear and I didn't feel any dirt inside.

I have heard that dirt clumbs aren't a huge problem, as the fluid film penetrates through it and the dirt helps protect it more. To me personally, it seemed a little weird so I just got it as clean as I can.
Ok, thanks. I should have mentioned we just got it Saturday. Has not been offroad yet. I will hit it with a rag. I sprayed some on my Ram a few years ago but not everywhere like I should. I see some surface rust here and there but it's a 2015.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, thanks. I should have mentioned we just got it Saturday. Has not been offroad yet. I will hit it with a rag. I sprayed some on my Ram a few years ago but not everywhere like I should. I see some surface rust here and there but it's a 2015.
If you got it less than a week ago and it hasn't been offroad, I think you're probably good. :)

When you mentioned it originally, I was thinking about mine. I had mud that dried in the transfer case crossover skid bar and dug it all out before applying. But hey, being clean can't hurt!

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Do you have to protect the ground if you use?
Will it stain driveways?

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have to protect the ground if you use?
Will it stain driveways?
That's a good question. I sprayed it in my garage. I put a tarp down before I sprayed, but it balled up as I was rolling around under it. After a point, I probably said forget it and got rid of it. My garage floor has paint drips from other projects and spray paint so I don't really care.

I did notice that on a really hot day, it was dripping a bit on my driveway. I can't remember if there is any grease residue left today, but I do recall seeing it a few days after it dripped.

I would say if you're concerned about your concrete, then put something down before you spray. And if it's really hot out (like 100*), then park on the street so any excess drips there instead of your concrete for a few days.

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
I use Fluid Film on the hydraulic rams for my Kubota tractor. On my JL I have it done every year with New Hampshire Oil Undercoating. Much better product than Fluid Film. It continues to creep into all cracks and crevices in the body to protect the vehicle. If you have it done professionally they spray inside the doors and other space. On my Chevy Silverado they spray the inside of the tailgate. https://nhoilundercoating.com/
Sponsored