Sponsored

Fluid film rust protection?

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I have used it the last 3 winters. My JL in New York looks like brand new underneath.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
I use it a few times a year, I'm in New England (salt and snow ) and it seems to help keeping it rust free. It has a nasty smell but does the job. I get under there and spray it on then wipe of the excess loosely. Use some gloves when handling, when you first spray it on it bubbles and forms a pretty thick coating ...but if you leave it that way it attracts small stones dirt and the like. So removing the excess isjust my own way of keeping it coated but also clean. I also use it as a dressing for all the black on the Jeep like the steel bumpers, rockrails and the plastic parts door handles and the cowl where the windshield wipers are. When it rains you will see the run off from it on the paint, hence removing excess.
Does the smell get inside the Jeep? Don't really want to deal with a chemical Vapor smell especially with asthma.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Does the smell get inside the Jeep? Don't really want to deal with a chemical Vapor smell especially with asthma.
No, just smells when using and maybe a few days after...don't get it on the exhaust pipe though. Then it will smell until it burns off.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Don't know if I like the idea of it not really ever drying and collecting dirt? 🤔
It does dry but stays tacky...That is the reason why I remove excess after spraying so it doesn't leave a raised tackiness to collect road or trail dirt. It does wash away over time . hence the need to re-do application.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
It does dry but stays tacky...That is the reason why I remove excess after spraying so it doesn't leave a raised tackiness to collect road or trail dirt. It does wash away over time . hence the need to re-do application.
Oh OK.. I wonder if I should just wait until the Fall before Winter to do it? Or maybe just get a layer on now while the Jeep is brand new? 🤔

I got to get the bugs washed off from diving it home yesterday too and get a good wax coat or something on the paint as well.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I used this with the wand for inside the frame rails and anywhere the average can cannot fit. (woolwax-Undercoating-Protection-Inhibitor-with wand) For complete undercoating I used Valugard undercoating aerosol. I bought it direct from the company as it was much cheaper. (4 cans) Do it now while its new!

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Overall very happy with it. But note that it does wash off. It seems to work best in areas that are not directly exposed to water spray

O)()()()()(O

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I’ve been applying Fluid Film on my 2020 daily driver since October 2019. Zero rust and im located in NNJ.. A few years ago NJ was caught off guard by a snow / ice storm that put us into an all out traffic nightmare. The gov took some heat and ever since then, the roads have been treated if there was even a slight chance of frozen precipitation. There would be brine sprayed and salt dropped (even several times a week) when temps didn’t dip below freezing.

I hose down the undercarriage and apply FF in the fall. I cover and tape off the exhaust from the engine back, and coat the undercarriage . The nozzle is helpful with reaching in the frame and seems. Repeat the process in the spring. Gently rinse the undercarriage during the winter but never with too much pressure to avoid removing the film.

Amazon has a 6 pack kit which comes with the nozzle and my average seems to be about 3 cans for coating never really removing the prior coat. You will notice the areas that wear off quicker due to normal driving and you could just touch up with a few sprays during the year If you want.

It will leave a bit of a grim making any work under the body a little dirtier but nothing excessive.

The product is made of lanolin and has a distinct smell (tough to describe). The longest it lingered was 2-3 days outside and couldn’t smell it in the cabin at all. Transparency- I use the ac sparingly the day of application to avoid the smell entering the cabin.

So 50k miles / 2.5 years later and no rust….. Yup, I’m a believer.

Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Anyone use Fluid film rust protection for under there Jeep? I'm tying to jeep my Jeep as new as possible especially come Winter time up here in the North East.

Does it work? How many cans does it take to get a good coating?? Is it messy or does it dry?
Hey here is an alternate product that dries to a clear waxy coating. Smells for a few days then goes away. There are a few more comparison videos on Youtube now. Pressure washing does nothing - so it stays on where you want vs washes off over time. Product is actually amazing and can only be removed with solvents. Perfect for the undercarriage exposed to a ton of salt and brine. Check it out.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jeep-jl-underbody-rust-prevention.81479/

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Hey here is an alternate product that dries to a clear waxy coating. Smells for a few days then goes away. There are a few more comparison videos on Youtube now. Pressure washing does nothing - so it stays on where you want vs washes off over time. Product is actually amazing and can only be removed with solvents. Perfect for the undercarriage exposed to a ton of salt and brine. Check it out.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jeep-jl-underbody-rust-prevention.81479/

Thanks. I'll definitely check it out. 👍

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Best way to keep it as new as possible, is to get it sprayed in automn, and when spring comes, get a degreaser and remove as much of it as possible. After a few sunny days, drive down the highway to make sure all is dry under there, then get a few spray cans of black rust paint and spray all the welds and areas with hints of surface rust. When next automn comes, get it sparyed again and repeat.
Been doing this forever and my previous Jeeps and now 2018 shows no rust. Removing the film every spring ensure that no moisture is trapped under it, which is often responsible for rust.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)

Wow the CRC seems to be the ticket. I'll probably go with that!! Thanks.

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
I should add I got a deal at the local shop. it was $410 for 5 coating sessions and they spray it on thiccc.
Sponsored