OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I have an attachment for my air compressor. One end is a hose that goes into a bucket, the other is the air hose. Then it goes into a wand that has a high pressure tip. That fits in the frame. I also put my normal pressure washer gun up to each large hole and spray for a while. I want to say the one for the compressor is called an engine bay wash tool, or something along those lines.
Thanks! I've never heard of this before or seen something like this. I did a google search on an engine bay wash tool and got some ideas.

This may be a good tool to have to wash everything down after a ride. I have a high pressure nozzle spray attachment on wheels that hooks up to a pressure washer. It works good, but just sprays water. Using this may help in spraying it down with soap first. Then again, it's the bottom of a jeep and I'm wondering if I'm getting carried away... lol...

Nonetheless, I like this idea for the inside of the frame. Thanks for sharing!
Sponsored

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
I have an attachment for my air compressor. One end is a hose that goes into a bucket, the other is the air hose. Then it goes into a wand that has a high pressure tip. That fits in the frame. I also put my normal pressure washer gun up to each large hole and spray for a while. I want to say the one for the compressor is called an engine bay wash tool, or something along those lines.
Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LP3XV5N/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_11H14NX9MS6DJ2GPMNN3

Coops4284

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB; 2019 Indian Scout Bobber
Occupation
IT Enterprise Architect
Vehicle Showcase

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I sprayed Eastwoods Inner frame coating in all frame and cross members, rockers etc.. liquid zinc phenolic, dries. then flooded them with fluid film and put some 3m patches over the large openings

doubt the frame will rust from inside out. also painted the underside including the frames with eastwoods rust encapsulator paint and top coated with their epoxy chasis black. then sprayed with PSC wax under coating in a can. did this when brand new, brought home from dealer, power washed put in garage and did whole process

https://petroleumservicecompany.com/undercoating-in-a-can/

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
I sprayed Eastwoods Inner frame coating in all frame and cross members, rockers etc.. liquid zinc phenolic, dries. then flooded them with fluid film and put some 3m patches over the large openings

doubt the frame will rust from inside out. also painted the underside including the frames with eastwoods rust encapsulator paint and top coated with their epoxy chasis black. then sprayed with PSC wax under coating in a can. did this when brand new, brought home from dealer, power washed put in garage and did whole process

https://petroleumservicecompany.com/undercoating-in-a-can/
re: the eastwood inner frame coating....

IT DIDNT WORK FOR ME

I used this stuff on my 2012 Ram...BEFORE the inner rockers were showing signs of rust/rot.

Now, one inner rocker is rotting from the inside out.

The picture is lousy (sorry).....but the lumps/bumps are all rust/rot.....they have opened up to a split now.

I had flushed the inners with water etc, let them dry......then used that stuff.

Waste of a lot of money and time.

My guess is there may have been rust in there already when I applied it.....Eastwood claimed that that stuff would stop rust in its tracks......well, on my Ram it didnt.

I suppose if you use it when the innards are brand new it might work...but then so will many others things when the innards are brand new.

Frames can (and do) rot from the inside out just like sheetmetal.

In fact, I would argue that the rust INSIDE THE FRAME is what leads to ruined frames....because you cant see it/treat it easily.

nU7OuxIx posted a picture of his frame on page 1 of this thread....that wasn't just rust that started on the outside of the frame...that was internal rot too.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fluid Film inside of Frame? IMG_20201129_152716153_HDR

Sponsored

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
re: the eastwood inner frame coating....

IT DIDNT WORK FOR ME

I used this stuff on my 2012 Ram...BEFORE the inner rockers were showing signs of rust/rot.

Now, one inner rocker is rotting from the inside out.

The picture is lousy (sorry).....but the lumps/bumps are all rust/rot.....they have opened up to a split now.

I had flushed the inners with water etc, let them dry......then used that stuff.

Waste of a lot of money and time.

My guess is there may have been rust in there already when I applied it.....Eastwood claimed that that stuff would stop rust in its tracks......well, on my Ram it didnt.

I suppose if you use it when the innards are brand new it might work...but then so will many others things when the innards are brand new.

Frames can (and do) rot from the inside out just like sheetmetal.

In fact, I would argue that the rust INSIDE THE FRAME is what leads to ruined frames....because you cant see it/treat it easily.

nU7OuxIx posted a picture of his frame on page 1 of this thread....that wasn't just rust that started on the outside of the frame...that was internal rot too.
I do agree, I think a lot of the damage starts on the inside and works it's way out. We all can wash the visible surfaces on a regular basis. I think salt water collects where we can't see it and then that's when the damage starts.

What I posted is probably an extreme case from a 25 year old YJ. I bought it knowing the issues and fixed it back up, so I don't know the full history. My guess though (and from what I read about the YJ) is that stuff gets trapped in the frame and that's where it starts.

Coops4284

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB; 2019 Indian Scout Bobber
Occupation
IT Enterprise Architect
Vehicle Showcase
I do agree, I think a lot of the damage starts on the inside and works it's way out. We all can wash the visible surfaces on a regular basis. I think salt water collects where we can't see it and then that's when the damage starts.

What I posted is probably an extreme case from a 25 year old YJ. I bought it knowing the issues and fixed it back up, so I don't know the full history. My guess though (and from what I read about the YJ) is that stuff gets trapped in the frame and that's where it starts.
That is why I fluid film inside my frame every year. It does not trap moisture, it stays "fluid" like and continually moves inside the frame. I have a wand for my gun that sprays 360 degrees, so it gets the entire inside of the box frame. If there is any rust, it stops it. If there is moisture, it works through it to the metal.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
It's about that time of year and I would like to use fluid film to protect my JLU. I've never used fluid film, but I do have an undercoating gun already from a bedliner project.

I wanted to ask before I botch anything, do you apply fluid film to inside of the frame rails?

I ask because I normally go trail riding to sandy areas (Silver Lake, Upper Peninsula), and I flushed the frame out a month ago. I was surprised at how much sand, dirt, and gunk came out. If I apply fluid film to the inner frame rails, will the dirt, sand, and gunk get trapped in there? For what it's worth, I don't plan on wheeling in the winter in sandy areas, just back in the Spring again.
Just fill the frame with expanding foam.

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just fill the frame with expanding foam.
I wouldn't recommend anybody doing this. First, while great stuff is (i think) a closed cell foam, I would still feel like it could trap moisture. Similar to rubber undercoatings, once that moisture gets trapped in there, rust starts forming. I would think that water would find it's way through the holes over time and then have nowhere to exit, which starts the rust process.

The other thing is that I couldn't imagine how you would remove it if you wanted to.

And lastly, cars (and Jeeps) weren't designed to have expanding foam in the frames. While it's only foam, there's debates on if it changes the rigidity of the structure. If you get into an accident, it may have undesirable consequences.
Sponsored