Sponsored

Fluid Film: how often should I coating the under carriage given my geographical location (Long Island) and use case?

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Should I be applying Fluid Film to the undercarriage twice a year or is just once a year ok? I live on Long Island where Ocean Humidity in summer and Snow Salt in the winter are both common.

I almost never off road my 100% Factory Stock JLUR but do take it to the beach every weekend between mid May till late September. The Jeep is parked in the Beach lot for hours.

Then we get decent snow in the winter and Downstate NY in general loves to use snow salt. I drive around a lot in the winter to help my wife and parents get to work as they all have small sedans.

Given my Geography and use Case should I be applying Fluid Film once before beach season (Early May) and then again before snow salt season (October)? Or is it ok I Fluid Film only once a year? (probably before snow salt season)

intent is to hold on to my JLUR for many many years if possible.
Sponsored

Blanco802

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
For those who I have met that applied it, they tend to do it annually, in late fall.

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
Once per year tops. Assuming you aren't power washing the chassis, it should only require touch ups each year, not a full application.

Note: Doing this stuff or anything similar will make working on your Jeep a mess to work on. I did it on my 1997 pickup and while I don't exactly regret it, when I work underneath my truck, I have to change my plans a bit accordingly.

OP
OP
631_Islander

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Once per year tops. Assuming you aren't power washing the chassis, it should only require touch ups each year, not a full application.

Note: Doing this stuff or anything similar will make working on your Jeep a mess to work on. I did it on my 1997 pickup and while I don't exactly regret it, when I work underneath my truck, I have to change my plans a bit accordingly.
Thanks. I use the stuff that comes in the aerosol cans. Used 3 of them last September. Was thinking about re applying again for the beach season this weekend. Was going to use 6 cans instead of 3 this time as I felt short last time I was doing this. What do you think? Should I re apply or just wait till the Fall again?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Thanks. I use the stuff that comes in the aerosol cans. Used 3 of them last September. Was thinking about re applying again for the beach season this weekend. Was going to use 6 cans instead of 3 this time as I felt short last time I was doing this. What do you think? Should I re apply or just wait till the Fall again?
Sand sticks really nasty to fluid film in my experience. I would leave as is, pressure wash at end of beach season to get all the crap off; touch up any rust with proper rust removal and rattle-can; and re-treat with FF for the winter.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
i drive on the sand a lot too in my rubicon, i've applied fluid film when i got my jeep and i hose the underside pretty well after each beach trip to get the sand off. The sand comes off real easily, however the fluid film still is on there since i only use a hose (not a pressure washer). Once it dries and i touch the frame, you can definitely feel the fluid film still there
Sponsored