Fluid Film and Sand

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
  • Banned
I was planning on using aerosol cans of Fluid Film. I bought a 3 pack off Amazon and was planning on using it for the underbody all the way from front to back. This was to “winterize” my JLUR as Long Island loves to use Snow Salt.

However when checking on Google, I noticed that Fluid Film can be problematic for those of us who live near the ocean and take our Jeeps on the beach dunes every summer. Apparently Fluid Film attracts beach sand and many reviewers recommended not to use for those who live near coastal areas and get snowy winters plus nice summers (ex: New England, Mid Atlantic, Atlantic and Pacific Canada)????

Wondering if anybody living in similar Geography as me has any experience with Fluid Film and whether I should not use this at all? If so, what would you recommend instead? Washing the undercarriage with just water on the regular to fight rust? Or should I use the fluid film as Sand does not cause rust formation the same way snow salt does?
Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I use fluid film but I dont just spray and go! I use a rag and wipe it down after I spray it. The way it comes out of the can is clumpy like spray glue Which would def attract sand. As I said. I climb under the jeep spray on wipe excess. Have not had any issues with it. I have done it twice and when we get later into the fall, I will do it again.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I live upstate, but I did fluid film last year. 100% worth it if you're living in an area that loves salt as much as NY does. I did it last year in my buddy's driveway with his supervision. Few things:
1). you're going to need to get more than 3 spray cans. Buy the kit on Amazon that has the gallon can. I got one last year off amazon with 2 Gallon cans (likek paint cans) and a spray can for touch up.
2). You're going to want a spray gun, or someone with a spray gun.
3). Heat it up. it only comes out clumpy if you don't heat it to a proper temp. We heated it on a propane garage heater in a pot full of water.
4). Wash your Jeep beforehand
5). If you're going to do this on your own, definitely get someone who has done this before. I definitely would have botched this without my buddy's guidance and tools.

We poured it into the bottle that hooks up to the spray gun (included in kit), attached the frame sprayer attachment (Not included in kit) and went to work. Took roughly 3 hours to do my entire Jeep. Pulled off the wheels and put it on Jack stands, and I blasted the entire underside and inside the frame. used almost the entire gallon can. I have one more left for this season. I have next to zero rust on my frame. I plan to do this every year until a decent coating is built up. I washed it at least monthly over last year, and there is still a decent coating. While at Rausch it was 90+ degrees while wheeling plus the heat of the rig, and it started to leak out of the frame.

2 of my buddies have done this to their vehicles. Chris (who helped me) did it to his 06 LJ Rubi, and his Chevy Silverado. the coating has held up and lasted ~3 years after applying the first solid coat. Bobby has done it to his Silverado 2500, Work car, 97 TJ, and 86 CJ. The undersides of those vehicles had some rust before they were fluid filmed but since are holding up well.

OP
OP
Punjabi New Yorker

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
  • Banned
It’s recommended. Sometimes I think I should forego the fluid film completely and just wash the undercarriage regularly with a 2400 PSI pressure washer (once every two/three months or so to eliminate snow salt and sand). How is that idea?

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
It’s recommended. Sometimes I think I should forego the fluid film completely and just wash the undercarriage regularly with a 2400 PSI pressure washer (once every two/three months or so to eliminate snow salt and sand). How is that idea?
Hmm? Depends on how much rust you are getting. We drive on mountain roadways covered in salt and brine all winter as we go skiing and SB a few times each week. We left the JL as is and just rinsed the undercarriage with water constantly. The JL now has rust that got to the point where we had to do something about it. We got rid of most all of the rust and next is applying CRC. We also have FF and RustC and BioS and Por15 where and if needed.

For those that are in the sun belt - can appreciate that rust prevention is not really an issue. But rust can completely destroy metal if it is not well protected in salt and brine laden areas. This vid show some rust coatings and their effectiveness over time and water pressure. Def use a more clear type coating vs opaque so you can see if rust is forming under.

A rinse might work. But if you have any rust forming you should clean that up now and protect it asap.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Rust begins immediately.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Rust begins immediately.
Yep 100%. We just laid down CRC on bolts and bare metal areas plus painted areas. Took 5 cans. Went on beautiful and sticks solid as you need solvent to get rid of it. Only have a fraction of 1% rust now - virtually is all gone. With it being amber you can see easily and precisely if any rust at all comes back.

Next is to spray some FF in the hollow frame beams and cross beams. Then RustC in the engine bay. With that all in place rust should hopefully be kept at bay even in this very harsh corrosion environment. If not will go to the POR15 option in select hard wearing areas.

Def would recommend that all JL owners should take a good close look at your undercarriage asap to determine if there is any rust forming. We were very surprised - and now know exactly where stones have sandblasted off chips of paint. Was actually quite an eye opener.

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
CRC makes the best dry rust protection that actually requires a solvent to remove. These won’t attract dust, sand or salt. These 2 are the same thing.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fluid Film and Sand 3B4227C0-506B-4869-849F-0BAD3C9691C9

Jeep Wrangler JL Fluid Film and Sand 47D8CE99-B250-4F9A-8B20-1DE31DB67B47

21JLURDRMR

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None yet
How many cans of the CRC would be needed for a 4 door JL, coating undercarriage twice?

CRC makes the best dry rust protection that actually requires a solvent to remove. These won’t attract dust, sand or salt. These 2 are the same thing.

Sponsored