First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
.... 1994 base YJ .......... 2006 Dakota ..... ..... 2020 Sahara 3.0D
Occupation
retired IBEW electrician
I'm waiting on a new sahara altitude diesel. It's main job will be as a kayak carrier.
I'm using a 94 YJ for that now, and it beats me up for 100 miles, just to drive the last mile. So the only offroad this is going to see is "last mile access ".
Airing down for sand is more important than rock crawling in Florida.

A 265/85/16r works really good for sand; the side wall bags out nice at 20psi.

Smaller rim/more tire is where I'm trying to go. Big rims and a lift make loading boats that much harder.

My question is: Will a 16" TJ rim fit/clear the calipers on the new JLUR's?
Sponsored

Mane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner LTD
I'm waiting on a new sahara altitude diesel. It's main job will be as a kayak carrier.
I'm using a 94 YJ for that now, and it beats me up for 100 miles, just to drive the last mile. So the only offroad this is going to see is "last mile access ".

Smaller rim/more tire is where I'm trying to go. Big rims and a lift make loading boats that much harder.

Pretty positive you're going to need the 17's.

This being said, even my Sport with the stock minivan Michelin 245's on 17's is just peachy on our soft Florida sand.

OP
OP
gnome

gnome

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired IBEW electrician
This one is coming with "up graded" 18" a/t tires. Salesman said it was automatic with the package and could not be changed. I don't see it as an upgrade. Less rim and more tire is always better, in my experience. A low profile tire is great for drifting/cornering, but an 80 series will ride better and preform off road much better. I'm running old stuff,(everything has 16" rims) and this may be an old school way of thinking, but it has worked for me.

? anyone running sand ? what are you using ?

Mane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner LTD
This one is coming with "up graded" 18" a/t tires. Salesman said it was automatic with the package and could not be changed. I don't see it as an upgrade. Less rim and more tire is always better, in my experience. A low profile tire is great for drifting/cornering, but an 80 series will ride better and preform off road much better. I'm running old stuff,(everything has 16" rims) and this may be an old school way of thinking, but it has worked for me.

? anyone running sand ? what are you using ?
Yes, the Sahara comes with 18" wheels and 255/70R18's. As the Sahara is the Wrangler's on road trim, this would stand to reason as that combo gives a less squidgy ride. 16's apparently can fit with proper backspacing:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...y-to-mount-16-5-wheels-yet.26116/#post-625375

Toniagp

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S 3.0 EcoDiesel
Vehicle Showcase

I would look for some Sport or Sport S 17" wheels and tires(takeoffs) we sold ours for $400. And our Sport S drove great in sand with those tires(Croom, Ocala Forest, Citrus)we were actually prepared to get stuck our first few times out because my F150 4x4(stock tires) with rear lockers struggles in deep sand, Jeep did not! We drove up sand mounds that would have required a tow truck for my F150. I believe you will have the same experience with your 18's... but you seem to be sold on a smaller rim:) and there is nothing wrong with that..
Or better yet find some Rubicon Take Offs 17" wheels with 33" KO2"s!

Sponsored

OP
OP
gnome

gnome

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired IBEW electrician
I would look for some Sport or Sport S 17" wheels and tires(takeoffs) we sold ours for $400. And our Sport S drove great in sand with those tires(Croom, Ocala Forest, Citrus)we were actually prepared to get stuck our first few times out because my F150 4x4(stock tires) with rear lockers struggles in deep sand, Jeep did not! We drove up sand mounds that would have required a tow truck for my F150. I believe you will have the same experience with your 18's... but you seem to be sold on a smaller rim:) and there is nothing wrong with that..
Or better yet find some Rubicon Take Offs 17" wheels with 33" KO2"s!
Thank you for that. Those are some of the same place I go to. It's not so much that i'm sold on small rim/more tire, it's just all I know.
But if you can make it through Croom, and Citrus with no problem, I might not change them out. I had a '93 F-250 that ran 265/85/16r, that when you bagged them out, would float over sand like it was hard pack.

Mane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner LTD
Thank you for that. Those are some of the same place I go to. It's not so much that i'm sold on small rim/more tire, it's just all I know.
But if you can make it through Croom, and Citrus with no problem, I might not change them out. I had a '93 F-250 that ran 265/85/16r, that when you bagged them out, would float over sand like it was hard pack.
I blew through Croom with my Sport's stock tires and didn't even bother to air down. The recommendation to find a takeoff Sport wheel tire combo for 400 bucks is a good one, or if you can a Rubi take off set. I think both would be preferable to the 18" Sahara set... but this being said, I bet the 18's do great too. Give them a shot.

Toniagp

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S 3.0 EcoDiesel
Vehicle Showcase
Mike, your EcoDiesel is coming from the factory with Anti spin Diff.(which we have) Just air down your 18's and give it a try:) if you want someone to ride with, private message me when you get it and we can meet up and try it out!

OP
OP
gnome

gnome

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired IBEW electrician
Mike, your EcoDiesel is coming from the factory with Anti spin Diff.(which we have) Just air down your 18's and give it a try:) if you want someone to ride with, private message me when you get it and we can meet up and try it out!
Thanks! I would like that. I am shopping for a compressor in the mean time. Leaning toward a complete portable system in a case, but I'll wait and see what space is available for a permanent install.

OP
OP
gnome

gnome

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired IBEW electrician
I blew through Croom with my Sport's stock tires and didn't even bother to air down. The recommendation to find a takeoff Sport wheel tire combo for 400 bucks is a good one, or if you can a Rubi take off set. I think both would be preferable to the 18" Sahara set... but this being said, I bet the 18's do great too. Give them a shot.
I'll see how they do.
Sponsored