Sponsored

need seeking help with how to drive in the snow in winter time

SRQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Apologies in advance for the clickbait title lol

So I'm completely clueless on how to drive in the snow with my new JL; I was able to figure out 4WD last year (what a crazy improvement!) but wanted to know how to really conquer the snow this year. Why? Because I want to be able to drive in a snow storm to a ladie's house that's far away.

Questions:

1. Should I deflate my tires for better grip in the snow? I run 35's, is there a standard PSI?

2. What kind of recovery gear should I get if/when I need to pull her stuck car?

3. What emergency items should I have in case I get stranded? Blankets, dry food, etc.?

4. What other tools/tips/techniques do you guys have for this endeavor?

Again, I'm from Florida so I'm not used to the winter completely or know all the tips. Unfortunately it seems like I'm ahead of the locals because they always manage to flip their cars over exiting their driveways every first snow.
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

So I'm completely clueless on how to drive in the snow with my new JL; I was able to figure out 4WD last year (what a crazy improvement!) but wanted to know how to really conquer the snow this year. Why? Because I want to be able to drive in a snow storm to a ladie's house that's far away.

Questions:

1. Should I deflate my tires for better grip in the snow? I run 35's, is there a standard PSI?
Not if its on the street, offroad, yes.

2. What kind of recovery gear should I get if/when I need to pull her stuck car?
A good kinetic rope and soft shackles. Be careful though, you mess up someone's car, you're liable. At least where I live it's like that. Unless it's an easy tug or a dire emergency, I usually won't pull people from the snow.

3. What emergency items should I have in case I get stranded? Blankets, dry food, etc.?
Yes. Lol. Blankets and a flashlight. If you're going deep into the woods, something to make fire is always nice.

4x4 is great in the snow. Braking isn't any better in 4x4 though. Remember that. Oh and steer into the skid.

Again, I'm from Florida so I'm not used to the winter completely or know all the tips. Unfortunately it seems like I'm ahead of the locals because they always manage to flip their cars over exiting their driveways every first snow.
Answers online above, in bold. Source, Canadian:

RubICON1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992,2011,2014,2022 RubICON

Questions:

my tip to you is Condoms. Lots of condoms.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired

Questions:

Seriously?

Sponsored

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
Rule #1 - 4 wheel drive will help you go in the snow - but it doesn't help you stop. Go too fast, lose traction, crash and burn, ruin your nice new JL.

Rule #2 - Refer to Rule #1.

All season tires suck in the snow. If you're going to drive in the snow a lot then get tires that can really handle it so you don't become a hazard to yourself or others.

Oh, I almost forgot - CLEAR THE ICE AND SNOW OFF THE TOP OF YOUR VEHICLE SO IT DOESN'T SLAM INTO SOMEONE ELSE'S WINDSHIELD WHEN IT DECIDES TO LET GO. Fortunately the police in New Hampshire are very proactive when it comes to enforcing that law. A couple years ago a woman in her minivan left all the ice on her roof, which decided to let go when I was going past her and smashed into the front of my vehicle (FJ Cruiser at that time). Fortunately I had a dash cam running and captured it on video along with her license number. The state police tracked her down and gave her a ticket. I got $600 worth of damage to my vehicle. So - CLEAR THE ICE AND SNOW OFF YOUR VEHICLE IF YOU'RE GOING TO DRIVE.

Grayone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 TRX, 392 Rubicon (sold), 2 door Rubicon
Stay home and watch Netflix. Enough amateur winter drivers already. And why in the hell would you want to leave Florida in the winter? Most people want to GO south when the white crap hits the tundra!

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Get snow tires. Wait for a heavy snow. Find a parking lot with no cars in it that hasnt been plowed. Practice steering, stopping, etc. Spin it a couple of times until you really can instinctively countersteer out of it.

Carry a blanket, shovel, tow strap.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
You learn to drive in snow the same way you get to Carnegie Hall.

Practice, practice, practice.

Every snowfall is different and can affect the roads differently. It also depends on whether or not there is ice under the snow. Take your time and be patient. Slower is better when it comes to steering and stopping for the most part.

When the snow comes, get out in it and get some miles under your belt.

Sponsored

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.
Stay home and watch Netflix. Enough amateur winter drivers already. And why in the hell would you want to leave Florida in the winter? Most people want to GO south when the white crap hits the tundra!
He wants to get laid by someone up north. Chillax grumpy.

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.

Questions:

This... This right here is what I like. This guy is not some beta male who is too afraid to do something potentially dangerous for a bit of adventure that, in turn, will build his confidence. Instead, he is smart enough to ask how to do it right, so he can go get some tail from a snow bunny! My type of guy!

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
As a former northerner, good tires (all season or snows) are important. Beyond that, everything in slow motion- accelerating, stopping, turning. My driver's ed teacher said to pretend there is an egg on the pedals. No sudden movements, you'll do great.

And wash off the salt every chance you get.
Sponsored