Sponsored

Florida Jeep People: Is It Generally Better To Order Out Of State?

Themallcrawler

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL
Based in Miami. I am currently sending out my build sheet to a number of dealers, most of whom are in Florida, but a few are in other states.

After going in person to a few dealers this week, the number of additional charges that magically show up are insane.

Tax, Title, Transfer, 7% sales tax, dealer fee,, and yesterday was a new one: "Chrysler's mandatory $2,000 fee", which just sounds to me like some BS that the dealer is tacking on and blaming on someone else.

Is it disproportionately more expensive to buy a new car in Florida than in other states? I am shopping around trying to get a sport S for at least 3% below invoice, but now I'm wondering if getting one "at invoice" from another state would be cheaper.
Sponsored

Blanco802

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
That has been the experience of many. While not as convenient as buying locally, it seems like many are able to get fantastic deals from out of state dealers like Gupton, saving them thousands in the process.

OP
OP

Themallcrawler

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL
That has been the experience of many. While not as convenient as buying locally, it seems like many are able to get fantastic deals from out of state dealers like Gupton, saving them thousands in the process.
Gupton seems great, will reach out to them. I've been going through the recommended dealers thread. Any other out-of-state dealers you recommend besides Gupton? It seems Daniel is on vacation for a few weeks there.

Blanco802

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Gupton seems great, will reach out to them. I've been going through the recommended dealers thread. Any other out-of-state dealers you recommend besides Gupton? It seems Daniel is on vacation for a few weeks there.
Gupton seems to offer the best deals in the area. Maybe others will chime in with dealers in the surrounding areas as well

DarealUSA

First Name
Kolja
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm in Orlando and even though there are a few dealers here who are somewhat decent (Lakeland and also New Smyrna Beach), Gupton was still a $2,000 advantage hands down. That doesn't even account for the crazy additional fees.

I might end up having the car shipped down or make it a fun weekend driving it back.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Themallcrawler

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL
I'm in Orlando and even though there are a few dealers here who are somewhat decent (Lakeland and also New Smyrna Beach), Gupton was still a $2,000 advantage hands down. That doesn't even account for the crazy additional fees.

I might end up having the car shipped down or make it a fun weekend driving it back.
Cool, I'm seeing the same thing. It's too bad Daniel at Gupton is gone for the next few weeks :(

Luvwine

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Try Travis at Tri-City in Eden, NC. I have an order in there and with Treadlightly it is 6% below invoice or 7% if financing 50% or more of purchase price.

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Try Travis at Tri-City in Eden, NC. I have an order in there and with Treadlightly it is 6% below invoice or 7% if financing 50% or more of purchase price.
+1 on this. I have bought 3 Jeeps there and have 2 family members that did the same. All great experiences.

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
I'm also in South Florida and bought a Jeep and a Ram from Koons in VA. Was well worth the drive. This time around I am hopeful that Lakeland CDJR (FL) can give me the same kind of deal. Heard good things so far! I'd try those guys first.

I have all but written off all our local dealers. In the last 12 months I even bought two toyotas, one from Orlando, another from Tampa, local guys weren't even close.

OP
OP

Themallcrawler

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL
I'm also in South Florida and bought a Jeep and a Ram from Koons in VA. Was well worth the drive. This time around I am hopeful that Lakeland CDJR (FL) can give me the same kind of deal. Heard good things so far! I'd try those guys first.

I have all but written off all our local dealers. In the last 12 months I even bought two toyotas, one from Orlando, another from Tampa, local guys weren't even close.
alright, so im not crazy then? Every dealer in south Florida have been absolute scumbags over the phone. They say whatever they can to get you in the door, and then "that model was just sold, however.....". The final price has generally been about $6k above MSRP as well.

Sponsored

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
alright, so im not crazy then? Every dealer in south Florida have been absolute scumbags over the phone.
It's not you. They are dirtbags. I buy a car every other year or so. The only way to win is not to play.

What surprised me more than anything is how seemingly decent human beings were only a few hours away. However, even for the great experience I had at an orlando dealer, someone else online had a terrible experience. So YMMV.

A local buddy just picking his JLU from Lakeland this week, so far his transaction is going mostly smoothly.

The one thing I will warn you about - lemon law support. I actually called the Virginia state lemon law folks a couple years ago when I bought the Ram, and got a helpful person on the other end, but they were really fuzzy about how it would work if I tried to lemon a vehicle I bought in VA as a FL resident. While it sucks that you have to worry about that sort of thing, it IS a concern.

I told my local dealer I'd happily pay them $1200-1500 more than I paid Koons to save me the trip. They laughed and told me good luck ever getting close to the price quoted and I think they came to within $3000 or so.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I bought out of state because of the dealers bs fees and I’m not sure I will let them work on it... Probably going to void the warranty anyways.

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport, JT Mojave, Sold JLU Sport S
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob
+1 on this. I have bought 3 Jeeps there and have 2 family members that did the same. All great experiences.
I just picked up my 2nd Jeep from Travis yesterday at 7% under invoice. Got both orders in 4 weeks. Easiest deals I've ever done. Highly recommend. No pressure from the finance manager for an extended warranty. He sells a ton of Jeeps to Floridians. Doc fee is $499,

Last edited:

syismaster1

First Name
Sy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Based in Miami. I am currently sending out my build sheet to a number of dealers, most of whom are in Florida, but a few are in other states.

After going in person to a few dealers this week, the number of additional charges that magically show up are insane.

Tax, Title, Transfer, 7% sales tax, dealer fee,, and yesterday was a new one: "Chrysler's mandatory $2,000 fee", which just sounds to me like some BS that the dealer is tacking on and blaming on someone else.

Is it disproportionately more expensive to buy a new car in Florida than in other states? I am shopping around trying to get a sport S for at least 3% below invoice, but now I'm wondering if getting one "at invoice" from another state would be cheaper.
I believe Mr. Lakeland is doing 3% under but the dealer fee is high so you don't end up saving much but if convenience is most important to you Mike is really nice and knows his stuff.
I ordered from Gupton Motors and will be ordering my 2nd Jeep from them as well in a bit as long as the transaction goes smoothly. They've all been extremely helpful (Daniel, Renee etc) with communication and relaying the buying process despite being slammed with orders.
I think it is worth the drive to save 5-6k after tax for me; their dealer fee is only $499!
Tampa dealers don't really budge in price either since the 'demand' is always high.

OP
OP

Themallcrawler

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL
I believe Mr. Lakeland is doing 3% under but the dealer fee is high so you don't end up saving much but if convenience is most important to you Mike is really nice and knows his stuff.
I ordered from Gupton Motors and will be ordering my 2nd Jeep from them as well in a bit as long as the transaction goes smoothly. They've all been extremely helpful (Daniel, Renee etc) with communication and relaying the buying process despite being slammed with orders.
I think it is worth the drive to save 5-6k after tax for me; their dealer fee is only $499!
Tampa dealers don't really budge in price either since the 'demand' is always high.
Did gupton also tell you that Daniel is on vacation a few weeks and likely won't be responding to things?
Sponsored