Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
The first strong cold front made it to SW Florida yesterday. The warmest temp was at about ten AM; 56F, with a 15mph wind out of the NW. So...I removed my freedom panels and rolled down the two front windows for the 25 minute drive home on country roads.

It made me happy. I was grinnin’ like a mule eatin’ briars! T-shirt, shorts, flip-flops, Jeep ball cap. I froze my freaking ass off, as my driver window was facing north at 55MPH. Deaf in my left ear for a bit after, but smiling ear to ear.

When I got home, my wife asked what was wrong with me, because my face was red, and I temporarily had a frozen death-head grin. All I could manage through my numb frozen smiling grimace was “Took top off. Glorious!” Then I jumped in a hot shower to thaw out. 😆
Jeff, the Army called, they said you are crazy enough to come back. :LOL:
Sponsored

jbal13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I couldn’t wait for this weather just so I could enjoy the drive the the cool air. But alas the Jeep has been at Cape Coral Jeep going on the 3 week for paint bubble repairs. Just got the call tonight that it’s ready. 🤷. We’ll see. 🤞

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
The first strong cold front made it to SW Florida yesterday. The warmest temp was at about ten AM; 56F, with a 15mph wind out of the NW. So...I removed my freedom panels and rolled down the two front windows for the 25 minute drive home on country roads.

It made me happy. I was grinnin’ like a mule eatin’ briars! T-shirt, shorts, flip-flops, Jeep ball cap. I froze my freaking ass off, as my driver window was facing north at 55MPH. Deaf in my left ear for a bit after, but smiling ear to ear.

When I got home, my wife asked what was wrong with me, because my face was red, and I temporarily had a frozen death-head grin. All I could manage through my numb frozen smiling grimace was “Took top off. Glorious!” Then I jumped in a hot shower to thaw out. 😆
man that must be really painful to live through a day like this and even the global warming isn't helping much the tropical garden , ... can I ship you some raccoon skins from Canada ? : )

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
My grandpa had a ranch on the Georgia-Florida border, just south of Thomasville and about an hour east of Tallahassee. We all loved that place. We had lots of cold mornings duck hunting, and we got enough snow to cover the ground there twice during my childhood, but it was generally wonderful weather except July through September.

Grandpa also had 40% ownership of “Dog Island” on the gulf coast, and 100 acres of oranges near Orlando — back when all that land was near worthless, Stuckeys sold little plastic taps for oranges, and farmers didn’t mind a kid grabbing an occasional orange for free. That orange country was incredibly cheap when my grandpa bought it about forty years before Disney arrived... Florida must have been a truly magical place back then. It’s was still magical for me in the 60s.... With the exception of Miami, which has been New-York-south since the 1920s, Florida had almost no crime and no traffic, but the hunting, fishing, diving, and spear fishing were fantastic. We also raced my uncles 1960s hot rods on the beaches and didn’t have to worry about people — because there weren’t any people around.

Until I was sent back to Florida for training in 2004 I hadn’t been there since my grandpa passed in 1985. I didn’t recognize the place. Orlando had become a huge city with all the attendant problems. To me, it felt like New York. I didn’t hear a single southern accent until the end of the week when I returned my rental car... I’m glad you guys love it, but Im sure going back there would be a heartbreaker for me. The population numbers and the stuff they show on the news make it seem like purgatory, but my memories are of a different Florida and I’m used to living in the country. I’m sure it would be different if I grew up in a big city out east.
Alex, I hear you brother. I’ve been here for 44 years, and my wife was born here in 1960. I started off in Hollywood, FL for two years. It was culture shock for me, as I was born and lived in the Ohio countryside.

We moved to Sarasota, which was a sleepy little town in the early 80s. It was like living in a different state. My wife and I live in eastern Sarasota County, totally country, lots of southern accents, no stores, no gas stations, etc - but we are conveniently only 20-30 minutes from those things. We are in a very historic area called Old Miakka, and Myakka River State Park (and the river) are spitting’ distance from our property (three acres, the smallest property out here).

I always say, the further you travel to the center of the spine of the state, and/or the further north you go, the more southern it gets! I joke with my other southern buddies, telling them that if you live in a state that has road signs that say “bridge may ice in cold weather,” they aren’t truly in the South! 😆

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
25 degrees this morning. Looking at 50's this weekend and 30's the following weekend. So that may be a good idea. :like:

Still, it's a dry cold. :sun:
Thanks Gary. I will be in the Denver area, for some cloak-and-dagger stuff.

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still working in my t-shirt when it's in the 50s. The same temperatures cause the Floridians to post pearl-clutching forum threads and Facebook memes. And so I know who I wouldn't want next to me on the battlefield, lol. (J/K).

I was stationed in God's Waiting Room the Sunshine State whilst on active duty, having PCSd there after two years in the cool bliss of the European theater (Third Air Force). The Panhandle had its compensations, to be sure, but my heart pointed toward home and four proper seasons.

There are days when I wish my Jeepin' was in warmer climes. There are other days when I'd want to be nowhere else on Earth. May we all be fortunate enough to enjoy the latter as frequently as possible. :like:
James, thank you for your service! My brother and sis-in-law are retired USAF. He was a pilot, she was a nurse.

Funny story. I attended an Army course at Ft. McCoy, Wisconsin in the dead of winter. In typical Army school fashion, we took a break every hour. The smokers would head outside into the snow and teens temps. We all went outside as a class every break, with the smokers.

I always went outside in my summer military attire - ACUs, soft cap, wicking t-shirt underneath, no gloves. A few other troops always dressed the same. The others were all bundled-up for the ten minutes we were outside - heavy winter gear over their uniforms, gloves, watch caps, many who were wearing winterized underclothing under their uniforms, even in class.

It turns out that everyone in snivel gear were from extreme northern states. Us troops in summer gear all day long were from FL, GA, AL, SC, NC, MS, and LA. 😆

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I loved the winter during the time we lived in Key Largo, it was great, just cool enough to make it fun. Winter here on Maui is also great, I actually wear a shirt with sleeves in the morning, with something on my feet. As soon as the sun is up I switch back to flip flops and tank top. For formal events I put on my clean flip flops and a clean tank top with no stains or holes. I love winter............on Maui

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
I guess it’s what you get climatized to. I miss the mountains dry air and fly fishing the streams. 20 plus years working in the snow, not so much. You do get climatized. I worked most of the time in short Sleve shirts, but would warm up in the car for a break. I saw and was in some pretty cold blizzard conditions. However that said you can layer to keep warm. You can’t take off enough clothes to get cool or it’s off to the empty arms hotel. July through august here in florida(my home) it’s really hot. For me best months are oct through may. Planning on a fly fishing trip back out west to wy, Idaho. Can’t wait. 😎

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
We got 13" of snow up here in NEOhio and while I'm not crazy enough to pull the t-tops off, I did get to enjoy just how capable these things are in heavy, wet, packed snow. Really impressively capable considering on the OE light truck all-season Michelins.

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Ohhh poor Florida guys....if you’re not complaining about the damn hot sun UV @Roky

it’s “boo hoo we got a cold day here down south, where we can’t take the top down

If it’s not bad enough we have to admire your damn pics during the next 5 months...now y’all wanna complain about a day of shitty weather?

Jeep Wrangler JL Florida Guy Happy But Frozen 1607021058548

Last edited:

PALIDN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2009 Chevy Corvette
We got 13" of snow up here in NEOhio and while I'm not crazy enough to pull the t-tops off, I did get to enjoy just how capable these things are in heavy, wet, packed snow. Really impressively capable considering on the OE light truck all-season Michelins.
Glad those tires worked OK. I have the same on my JLU Sport S.
i was wondering if I would need a more aggressive tread.
Sponsored