Floor plugs letting water

jameslavis

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Sport S
noticed some moisture under the mats. thinking the water is getting in through plugs in floor. thinking of silicone them in. any suggestions or this the best way to go
Sponsored

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
That should not be the case. Do you have water leaking around your windshield? Look up under the dash or around the carpet that goes up the firewall area is that area damp? We need to find the source and I’m pretty confident the plugs are not it.

OP
OP

jameslavis

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
where are you thinking to look? i’m guessing plug or since it’s winter here, snow getting in between carpet and weather tech liner.

opening to investigating! any tips on where to look i’m game

That should not be the case. Do you have water leaking around your windshield? Look up under the dash or around the carpet that goes up the firewall area is that area damp? We need to find the source and I’m pretty confident the plugs are not it.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
where are you thinking to look? i’m guessing plug or since it’s winter here, snow getting in between carpet and weather tech liner.

opening to investigating! any tips on where to look i’m game
Ah snow getting between the mat and carpet is a good possibility, wasn’t thinking of that as in in Texas. Try pulling the mats out and letting a fan dry it out overnight. See if the problem returns after a few days, just make sure you dry it out really well.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
noticed some moisture under the mats. thinking the water is getting in through plugs in floor. thinking of silicone them in. any suggestions or this the best way to go
Make sure the plugs are snapped in all the way. When I go to hand car washes the guys pull the mats to clean them. When they're done I have to snap the mats in and the plugs have to be snapped in too. They just clean them and lay them down.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jameslavis

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thanks guys. i run weather tech liners so they have pretty solid coverage. under the pedals isn’t wet. i’m guessing the side by the door may have snow trickle under or just drops coming up the plugs. i did find salt on the plugs so water is making it up there.

if it’s only these two i can handle. anything else will be a pain!

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
thanks guys. i run weather tech liners so they have pretty solid coverage. under the pedals isn’t wet. i’m guessing the side by the door may have snow trickle under or just drops coming up the plugs. i did find salt on the plugs so water is making it up there.

if it’s only these two i can handle. anything else will be a pain!
I hope you’re able to figure it out. Maybe a little Vaseline and push the plugs back down then see how it looks in a few days. I would not silicone them just yet.

OP
OP

jameslavis

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
passenger side is dry. all under pedals as well. so likely the water source is just spreading through the carpet. letting it dry and will run some sealer tape between liner and door panel. check in a week or so

OP
OP

jameslavis

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so ran the heater on the floor and the carpet started to change colour. looks salty. so thinking boot drop down liner or plugs.

A3953713-DBF0-4AA9-A188-86375E09972C.jpeg

rumblejeep

First Name
Doublehaul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sahara
so ran the heater on the floor and the carpet started to change colour. looks salty. so thinking boot drop down liner or plugs.

A3953713-DBF0-4AA9-A188-86375E09972C.jpeg
Does your weathertec mat go completely under your gas pedal. If not , that is probably where the moisture is getting under. Always had issues with Weathertecs not going completely under gas pedal. They were just useless. My new weather tecs go totally under all the pedals.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jameslavis

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
new JLu ones do go all the way up. siliconed the plugs and ran a thin weatherstrip along mats to test. appreciate the tips!

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I think the problem stems from the drip rails. Worst case: with the doors closed, water could be seeping in through the door jam seals and ending up on the floor pans. Or best case, when you open the doors while it’s raining, the water falls from the drip rails to the door sills and then to the floor pan. The issue I’m having is my passenger door would not open due to the ice buildup in the door catch track. Again, water seeping down through the door and freezing in its path. On the home page, there is a new thread regarding drip rail repairs that may help these water problems. Good luck with your water issues.
Sponsored