Floor mat drain holes

21Sahara_AltitudeHydro

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara Altitude, 2004 SRT4 Neon
What am I supposed to do with the floor mat drain holes, put these in my Sahara, I know they are Rubicon mats. Do I need to cut the carpet?

20220202_170420.jpg
Sponsored

Reactions: LCW

W4V3

First Name
Freedom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Not sure about the Sahara, but on the Rubicon, the carpet is already cut and is being held in place by two tabs. Take a look at your carpet where the drain hole is. If the carpet is cut, pull out the carpet plug. The drain plug is located beneath that; pull it out and insert it in the floor mat.

KevinC11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys, 2023 JT Mojave
Occupation
Gunsmith/EMT
The carpet should be already cut on top of the drain. It is held on by a small piece of each end, you can literally pull them apart with your fingers. Pull the drain out of the floor pan and install in the mat. Make sure when you put the mat back in you seat the drain into the floor pan.

KevinC

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
OP take a look at this link.

Kinda gross thought, but after watching that video was wondering if anyone ever used the all-weather mats and drainage hole to take a leak while driving? It's a neat feature I guess, but really not sure if it wouldn't be just as easy to remove the mats to hose them off (and just as easy to pull over to pee, lol).

Sponsored

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
Don't do deep water crossings, the water come up around where the mat seals or rather doesn't) with the floor and soaks the carpet under the mat, or in my case floods the carpet under the mat. I ended up putting the bungs in the floor and a second set in the mat. They work great for draining out but terrible for stopping water coming in.

OP
OP
21Sahara_AltitudeHydro

21Sahara_AltitudeHydro

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys I'll check the carpet when I get to work and see if it's precut, if not I'll cut it. I can feel the plugs under the carpet.

Gmot123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Billet Silver
Thanks guys I'll check the carpet when I get to work and see if it's precut, if not I'll cut it. I can feel the plugs under the carpet.
Sahara has the same cutouts for the drain plug. Feel around down there and you'll find where you need to pull to get the carpet piece removed.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Unless you plan to rinse your mats off while they are still in the Jeep, I wouldn't remove the carpet piece nor the plug under the carpet. I have those mats and didn't.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Having removed each front side carpet when frozen and/or soaked due to whatever freedom panel leakage, I'll remind that the carpets are designed for oh-so-easy removal (I was a skeptic until I had to remove the passenger side with 1+" of ice under the carpet).

So it is very easy to check out the rubber plugs, i.e., if they are there under the carpet. Just partially remove the carpets per the instruction manual--the big version you have to download or ask for.

I ordered my vehicle with FCA weatherproof mats, thought they were wimpy when I saw them. So I upgraded to WeatherTech and never looked back. (I did save the OEM mats for whenever I sell/trade, as unused mats/carpets make an aged vehicle look less used and enhance resale value.)

The whole issue of leakage from the roof/freedom panels/door drains/floor plugs/winter vs summer/etc. remains one of those "Jeep Things," a subject with many causes and many opinions for solutions...

YMMV!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
21Sahara_AltitudeHydro

21Sahara_AltitudeHydro

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I got to work I pulled the mat on the driver side, and could tell them where the drain plug was and the mat had pressed into the carpet. I did get it to put right out and swap the plugs to the floor mat. I'll do driver side when I get home.

Reactions: LCW

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
OP take a look at this link.

Thanks for posting this!! I was about to return a set I got today thinking they just weren’t compatible. Never even saw the carpet perforation. After this vid I went back and sure enough. Sweet!!

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Don't do deep water crossings, the water come up around where the mat seals or rather doesn't) with the floor and soaks the carpet under the mat, or in my case floods the carpet under the mat. I ended up putting the bungs in the floor and a second set in the mat. They work great for draining out but terrible for stopping water coming in.
There have been some design improvements to prevent water from leaking in, including the addition of a seal to the drain funnel. I haven't tested it, but it's definitely an improvement.