Sponsored

Floor lights ambient lighting - Color Mods

RatherDashing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
I followed the wiring from the OEM light in the door handle, tho you have to tap into it below the first wiring harness connection. I grab a photo of the wiring and post it.
By tap, am I splicing wires taking wires out if the existing harness? You've inspired me, and I've ordered the LEDs.
Sponsored

tonyg30

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
By tap, am I splicing wires taking wires out if the existing harness? You've inspired me, and I've ordered the LEDs.
i didn't remove the OEM light. its still there in the original configuration. I just tapped into the 2 wires below the harness split. My first try to tap into the wires was in the section of wiring between the harness and the OEM LED in the door handle. there wasn't enough voltage to light the new LED. My second attempt was after the harness and it worked perfectly.

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Est1968.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Barber / Friend Maker
I had my buddy who tinted my windows wire up some LED rock lights inside the truck for some high powered dome lights. As you can see they are BRIGHT which I am fine with, and literally make the interior glow when on.
Their so bright they make my 35% tinted windshield look like their is no tint at all on it...

RedInterior.jpg

RedInterior1.jpg

RedInterior2.jpg

RedInterior3.jpg

Last edited:

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Yeah they’re incredibly dim. I spent about 10 minutes trying to discover what that switch could be controlling before I noticed them.
That's funny. I had zero idea what that dial was for until just now. My doors have been off for a couple of months though.

ArmyJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Own a JLURubicon
Occupation
Retired US Army
I decided to start a new thread on this topic that I had been having some discussion about under the "turn on floor lights" thread.

For those of you who weren't following that thread, a quick recap. I have a local shop that specializes in instrument cluster repair and also caters to customization of the LED's in said panels. We were discussing if it would be possible to / and how to change the color of the ambient lighting in the floor foot wells.

I had time to swing by his shop today to do some initial investigative work.

Findings: The floorboard lighting is contained in a little module that contains a larger LED that illuminates white with door open, as well as a secondary smaller LED that illuminates at night (engine running, headlights on) as an ambient lighting for the floorboards. The brightness of the ambient lighting is controlled by the second dimmer dial on the dash next to the headlight switch (the dimmer on the left).

Both of these LED's are soldered to the mini circuit board contained inside the module. He swapped out the smaller ambient light in mine to a red one to see if it would work, how bright it was, etc. So for the current time being, I have a red ambient lighting in my drivers side floor board. I can't wait for it to get dark and see how bright it is at night.

I've included some images of said lighting module and him working on it.

I mentioned this was the initial investigative work. Our initial goal was that we could sell a plug-n-play kit in a variety of colors for anyone who wanted to mod the color of the floorboard lighting. Since this is more of a sophisticated module that requires soldering tiny LED's to a circuit board, that scenario isn't as feasible for the every day jeeper.

So... He's going to do some digging and see if this lighting module is available for purchase from Jeep. If so he's looking to get a few to mod on an order-by-order basis and offer them with a core for your existing module. I.e. he mails you the modded modules in the color of your choice, you unplug your light module, plug his in, then mail your factory white one back to him.

I'll keep everyone posted on my findings.

Lighting Module:
20180504_123034.jpg

Lighting Module Disassembled:
20180504_123040.jpg

Circuit Board inside module with the LEDs:
20180504_123005.jpg

Swapping my LED for trial:
20180504_122915.jpg

Ambient LED installed with RED LED.
20180504_131419.jpg
I have a JLURubicon and I read your post but I am unclear about how to keep the under dash lighting on all the time without the roof interior light on. I have also covered up my light sensor on my dash so my headlights are always on when in Auto...which I prefer. Can I still keep my interior under dash lights on all the time or what do I have to do?

Sponsored

YellOhJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Network Engineer
i didn't remove the OEM light. its still there in the original configuration. I just tapped into the 2 wires below the harness split. My first try to tap into the wires was in the section of wiring between the harness and the OEM LED in the door handle. there wasn't enough voltage to light the new LED. My second attempt was after the harness and it worked perfectly.
I find this very interesting that there was not enough voltage to power the new LEDs. Perhaps the stock LEDs in the sport are purposely crippled by limiting the voltage? Or are the door handle lights dim in Sahara and Rubicon also?

Last edited:

mvng4wd

First Name
Keno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willy's - 3.0L EcoDiesel
Occupation
Municipal Community Services Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
So I'd really love to use the existing floor LED's that operate when the doors open. My thought was to jump the floor LED wire into the existing ambient lighting in the door handles. Wouldn't it be possible to do that, then you can use the ambient adjustment knob next to the dash lighting adjuster to operate the footwell LED's in coordination with the door handle lights?

I have no clue where the door handle wiring/harness is located so if anyone has a schematic that would be awesome!

tonyg30

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I'd really love to use the existing floor LED's that operate when the doors open. My thought was to jump the floor LED wire into the existing ambient lighting in the door handles. Wouldn't it be possible to do that, then you can use the ambient adjustment knob next to the dash lighting adjuster to operate the footwell LED's in coordination with the door handle lights?

I have no clue where the door handle wiring/harness is located so if anyone has a schematic that would be awesome!
this is basically what I did.

mvng4wd

First Name
Keno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
this is basically what I did.
Hey Tony do you have any pictures or can you send me anything about where the wiring is?

tonyg30

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Tony do you have any pictures or can you send me anything about where the wiring is?
This is the area that i spliced into to get the LED to work. Then i just fed the new LED back through the OEM hole in the inside trim that you removed to get to the wires. For the Floor lighting, i just tapped into the power to pre-existing floor lights.

I just traded the sport in on a sahara a couple weeks ago or i would have more pictures.

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 5.31.19 PM.jpg

Sponsored

mvng4wd

First Name
Keno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is the area that i spliced into to get the LED to work. Then i just fed the new LED back through the OEM hole in the inside trim that you removed to get to the wires. For the Floor lighting, i just tapped into the power to pre-existing floor lights.

I just traded the sport in on a sahara a couple weeks ago or i would have more pictures.

Jeep Wrangler JL Floor lights ambient lighting - Color Mods Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 5.31.19 PM
That helps a ton. Thank you.

Deezus

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I have some led strips blue that I bought off of Amazon. I pulled the interior footwell lighting system unplugged it I mean. I put the LED strip lights into the ground into the black one which was post one and the white was the green stripe which is number four I put the positive I found that it works with the footwells and it also dims. If I open the door they come on full blast when I close it they they go back to the way they were at night when I put the dimmer on to turn the dash lights down it automatically comes on and I can dim it or turn it off. Works perfect.

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturing
Here is a video we made outlining the installation

Last edited: