Floor lights ambient lighting - Color Mods

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Got the part, was the right part number. Should have looked into this more though, the plug on my factory harness only has 2 wires, not 4 so it’s kind of a failure right now. I can add the wires into the factory plug and wire them in myself which I may do eventually
Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Got the part, was the right part number. Should have looked into this more though, the plug on my factory harness only has 2 wires, not 4 so it’s kind of a failure right now. I can add the wires into the factory plug and wire them in myself which I may do eventually
Thanks. Interesting it’s a different wire harness. Based on your experience, I think i’ll hold off from ordering.

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Yeah I’d hold off. I wish I looked at the plug before i ordered the lights.

aprevite

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I decided to start a new thread on this topic that I had been having some discussion about under the "turn on floor lights" thread.

For those of you who weren't following that thread, a quick recap. I have a local shop that specializes in instrument cluster repair and also caters to customization of the LED's in said panels. We were discussing if it would be possible to / and how to change the color of the ambient lighting in the floor foot wells.

I had time to swing by his shop today to do some initial investigative work.

Findings: The floorboard lighting is contained in a little module that contains a larger LED that illuminates white with door open, as well as a secondary smaller LED that illuminates at night (engine running, headlights on) as an ambient lighting for the floorboards. The brightness of the ambient lighting is controlled by the second dimmer dial on the dash next to the headlight switch (the dimmer on the left).

Both of these LED's are soldered to the mini circuit board contained inside the module. He swapped out the smaller ambient light in mine to a red one to see if it would work, how bright it was, etc. So for the current time being, I have a red ambient lighting in my drivers side floor board. I can't wait for it to get dark and see how bright it is at night.

I've included some images of said lighting module and him working on it.

I mentioned this was the initial investigative work. Our initial goal was that we could sell a plug-n-play kit in a variety of colors for anyone who wanted to mod the color of the floorboard lighting. Since this is more of a sophisticated module that requires soldering tiny LED's to a circuit board, that scenario isn't as feasible for the every day jeeper.

So... He's going to do some digging and see if this lighting module is available for purchase from Jeep. If so he's looking to get a few to mod on an order-by-order basis and offer them with a core for your existing module. I.e. he mails you the modded modules in the color of your choice, you unplug your light module, plug his in, then mail your factory white one back to him.

I'll keep everyone posted on my findings.

Any update to this becoming available? Or does anyone know of another solution that switches out the LED for a color and hopefully brighter?

tonyg30

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Thought I would share my solution to the almost non-existent door handle lights.
I purchased the white dot lights. https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-wired-bolts/little-dot-smd-led-accent-light/639/1924/
Installed them, took about 15 mins per door, into the pre-existing holes behind the interior handles. Tapped into the pre-existing 12 volt to the OEM handle light. I also ran one to the cubby whole where the AUX switches would be. Pretty simple over all and they dim with the OEM dash dial. The image is on the brightest setting.

57394442585__6A51FC47-2349-49F6-BD80-FB14C0802363.JPG

Sponsored

Mantacon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey JLUR
Thought I would share my solution to the almost non-existent door handle lights.
I purchased the white dot lights. https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-wired-bolts/little-dot-smd-led-accent-light/639/1924/
Installed them, took about 15 mins per door, into the pre-existing holes behind the interior handles. Tapped into the pre-existing 12 volt to the OEM handle light. I also ran one to the cubby whole where the AUX switches would be. Pretty simple over all and they dim with the OEM dash dial. The image is on the brightest setting.

Door handle lights?? This must be new for 2019 vecbeca mine doesnt have this

GClouser

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2-Door
Door handle lights?? This must be new for 2019 vecbeca mine doesnt have this
It does, even the base model sport has this. It’s the only thing the 2nd dash dimmer switch controls on the models without ambient lighting.

Mantacon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey JLUR
It does, even the base model sport has this. It’s the only thing the 2nd dash dimmer switch controls on the models without ambient lighting.
Guess I never noticed. Thank you!!

David F.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Yeah they’re incredibly dim. I spent about 10 minutes trying to discover what that switch could be controlling before I noticed them.
That's funny because I did the same thing. About midnight a few days after purchase.

Sponsored

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU

Could you point out what specific wires you tapped into for this?

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
On the dome light the part number is 6CD43TX7AG, I ordered one for my Sport and it works great just understand that the map lights are a different color temperature than the dome. I also ordered another one for my wife’s Rubicon.

Gregj

35B6C16C-A753-496B-BE54-2DAAD84CB246.jpeg

upload_2019-4-27_21-47-54.jpeg

tonyg30

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Could you point out what specific wires you tapped into for this?
I followed the wiring from the OEM light in the door handle, tho you have to tap into it below the first wiring harness connection. I grab a photo of the wiring and post it.